Should I kill my blog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I kill my blog?

As I enter my 10th year of my blog, I ask myself, why do I bother? While i'd like to believe my blog is fairly decent, I myself don't visit other blogs, or even automotive websites for that matter. Why? Well, I guess they just kind of bore me.

I cover most of Detroit's biggest cruises, the north american international auto show, Autorama, as well as document my own projects closely. Yet I rarely go back and read my old stuff, and visits have nearly dried up.

I've oddly lost interest in most of my old favorite car shows as well, replaced by new stuff...street outlaws, counting cars, fast'n loud, and top gear USA are my cup of tea.

Perhaps a part of me is just burned out, and ready to put the old blog down. What do you think? Aside from bangshift, I really don't visit anything else automotive aside from roadkill when it comes to the internet.

Before I get attacked, this isn't a plug for my blog, as most who do click on the link below, likely won't return. I guess part of me is just sad to close up shop, and feels the show must go on, if for no other reason, for my own satisfaction.
    Motor City Muscle

I say if your tied of doing it than there is no point of it. If you think that it is keeping the hobby alive, measured by how much traffic you get, than keep it up. Best wishes in you endeavors which ever way you go.
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Do you have to pull it down or can you step away from it for a while until you get your mojo back?

Your photos that you have shared and stuff have always been great. If it is a drain on your personally and is turning into a drag, kill it. My own personal philosophy I guess. You don't need anything that is supposed to be fun turning into a burden for you.

My $.02
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Blog -- truncation of "web log."

In other words, a blog should be somewhat a real-time report and/or commentary on happenings and interests within the peculiar knowledge of the blog's author(s).

I'm no blogging expert (cue DG's attack here). But the tests for whether to spend time blogging seem to be:

1. Do have the time to blog well on a reasonable schedule?
        2. Are there things you know about or which interest you?
        3. Is anything you're going to post which is potentially helpful, interesting, and/or insightful to anyone else?
        4. Will there be any costs to blogging (money, job loss, spouse anger, etc.) that outweigh any benefits?
        5. Can you monetize your blog?
        6. Is blogging a reasonable and satisfying "outlet" for your creative talents?
        7. Will you find personal satisfaction in the blogging experience even if page views don't grow much?

If the answers to the foregoing questions trend positive, then go for it. if not, then don't.

If your interests shift, what you blog about should also shift to reflect your knowledge, interest, passions, values, and beliefs.

On the other hand, if blogging is merely about boosting one's ego and vanity posting private, personal stuff, then Facebook is a better expressive platform than blogging.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes View Post
          You don't need anything that is supposed to be fun turning into a burden for you.
          WELL now that's a fine thing to post at 9:00 a.m. EST on a workday . . . . Nearly everyone's job is a burden . . . Just sayin'

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
            Blog -- truncation of "web log."

I'm no blogging expert (cue DG's attack here). But the tests for whether to spend time blogging seem to be:
            That's strange. I thought your old blogs were good reads and would keep reading them if you wrote more. Guess you don't have me figured out yet
            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

facebook blows. I'm a.d.d. as hell and I can't follow it easily. Unless the blog costs $$$ to keep or some other compelling reason to pull it offline, I'd say leave it. I still read junk from a dozen years ago, it makes me sad when I hit a dead link. At least archive it so if you wanted to prop it back up you could?
              Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

do you have a counter up to see how many hits you get...how well do you advertise? Is it for others or did you start it for you? I didnt even know you had a blog, if I did I would check it out. Maybe get other blogs in the area to link up...set up a face book page that links to your blog so it can get a bigger audience....

Just my thoughts.
                If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                  That's strange. I thought your old blogs were good reads and would keep reading them if you wrote more. Guess you don't have me figured out yet
                  As I recall it, you pointed out here at BS my "failure" at blogging (the quote might be in the Hunkins v. Gromer thread, but I'm just too lazy (and bummed by BRUAB reminding me of my "burden" on "humpday") to look it up). . . .

Questions 1, 4 and 5 were the negatives against my further blogging. I just couldn't devote the time regularly to produce a good, "tight" product. And I loathe the "Blogger" software but was too cheap to move to a dedicated platform.
                  Last edited by 38P; January 8, 2014, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                    facebook blows. I'm a.d.d. as hell and I can't follow it easily. Unless the blog costs $$$ to keep or some other compelling reason to pull it offline, I'd say leave it. I still read junk from a dozen years ago, it makes me sad when I hit a dead link. At least archive it so if you wanted to prop it back up you could?
                    The advantage of FB is that you can limit readers to a discrete and insular group of invitees . . . which seems harder to do with a blog.

I note that nearly one-third of my page views have come since I suspended blogging (but most of those are probably search bot, not real humans).

I'd argue that the critical measure of blogging isn't page views, though, unless you're trying to monetize. Lots of good blogs aren't all that popular. And lots of crap has huge "aud."

If you help, entertain or inspire one person a day with your blog, you're probably doing more than many folks out there. Anything else is gravy.

Comment

As I recall it, you pointed out here at BS my "failure" at blogging (the quote might be in the Hunkins v. Gromer thread, but I'm just too lazy (and bummed by BRUAB reminding me of my "burden" on "humpday") to look it up). . . .
                      The failure was the part where you didn't keep it going. The actual bloggage was good.
                      www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

If you help, entertain or inspire one person a day with your blog, you're probably doing more than many folks out there. Anything else is gravy.

*choke* I agree with outsider *choke*
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

i need glasses. i thought the title said, "should i kill my dog?" LMAO!

interestingly, you could substitute the word dog for blog almost everywhere in here, lol.

o.k., carry on.

Comment

Not really a burden, ive always looked at it as more of a diary I guess. Any input from anybody that looked at it? I plan on hitting the strip this summer, hopefully semi-regularly, and pondered one of those go pro thingies. Maybe record my trip to cruise nights, as the rumble of 700 hp barreling down the highway is entertaining in my eyes. I don't know, I still enjoy it, but I often feel like im writing for an audience that just isn't there sometimes. The link is motor city muscle, below, if you'd offer some constructive or destructive criticism, I would appreciate it.
                            Motor City Muscle

Comment

[QUOTE=Supersport350;840556] I don't know, I still enjoy it, but I often feel like im writing for an audience that just isn't there sometimes. QUOTE]

If it doesn't cost any cash, why not keep it rolling as you see fit? Blogging to the crickets is way better than trying to sell things to them. Some days/years I think I design and mfg stuff for a non-existent market. At least blogging inventory doesn't take up any "real" space.
                              I like to blog when I can, who cares whose reading it...And since the posts /blogs on the Internet are basically forever, its now part of your Permanent Record!
                              www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                              Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Working...
                              X