Rare wheels on my Cutlass project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rare wheels on my Cutlass project

I need new tires on my project, and the fronts are a 14" wheel, and the rear are 15". I like the design, it's a 3-piece, and the fact that they weigh next to nothing, BUT, the selection for 14" tires suck. 15" street tires aren't much better anymore either unless you don't drive in the rain 9 times out of 10 like we do around here. So, I'm looking for a pair of 15" wheels to match the ones I have on the rear already. Did some poking around and found that they are Enkei model EK62 and appear to not exist in the wild except very, very rarely. They look like this:

So, should I just sell them all and buy a cheap set of 17" or 18" wheels and tires, do you think I can find a pair of EK62s in 15" with the correct bolt pattern, width and backspacing, or should I just buy tires and be happy owning something rare?
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

I would look for someone who refurbishes these and get them re-coated... very cool wheels and well worth the effort!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Those are unique and I don't think I've ever seen them, nice.
      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Dick Guldstrand had those on a few of his project cars that made it into magazines... I saw a few on Corvettes as well... more popular with the road race crowd...
        Last edited by silver_bullet; January 11, 2014, 06:27 AM.
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

What year is the Cutlass?........how do you want them to match?....by style/design?
          Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Sell the 14 inces,and keep the rest..some day you will get lucky,and find what you need.

Comment

Way cool wheels btw.

Comment

I think everyone finally figured out how ugly they were, and scrapped them...so yeah, they're rare now.

14-15" combos were very common in the 80s-90s when that style "modular" wheel was popular.
                My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Magnum style

Color keyed

Redlines

Cragars

Similar to exisiting

Hopefully not this
                  Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Yes, I'd say the Enkei's would be cool on a retro Camaro, Vette or other lightweight car. On a 4500 Lb. Oldsmobile or resto mod, ehh not so much. So many even lighter wheel designs have followed.
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

those enkeis look almost at home on a 82-92 camaro
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                        Color keyed

There are a set of these local to me on Craig's List. Are these the same as the "color coded" wheels?

Click image for larger version

Name:	00Q0Q_ak7mJFXIALs_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	875365

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
                          Yes, I'd say the Enkei's would be cool on a retro Camaro, Vette or other lightweight car. On a 4500 Lb. Oldsmobile or resto mod, ehh not so much. So many even lighter wheel designs have followed.
                          my fully loaded 86 SS is under 3400 lb so I doubt his cutlass, (both g bodys) is 4500 lb's

Comment

put a WTB add up on ebay.. it'll cost nothing to list it..

Comment

My buddy has Astro Supremes by US wheel on his Cutlass.Looks great!

Comment

Working...
                              X