Gulp, moving?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
    Two different things. He makes a ton of money as one of the owners and founders of the company. As the company gets worth more his net worth gets worth more - makes sense and he's earned that. He's the guy (along with some others) who stuck his financial neck out to start the whole deal. But his salary as CEO is a fixed multiple of what the average worker earns - for him to take home more salary the average guy in the company has to make more. I'm OK with that.

Dan
    long ago, I worked as a waiter in Nevada - I couldn't tell you what my weekly, hourly wage was but it didn't matter because tip side of it was where the money was. From that perspective, I say this - you could metaphorically spit on them and their food and they'd still tip you. I think what he did was a token, but I don't have a problem with people making huge amounts of money. I've yet to find one that doesn't have the same worries and concerns that the store sweeper has... money does nothing but increase unhappiness.

That, to me, is the problem with all of that argument - even if you gave everyone everything they wanted; they'd still be unhappy.... and when you take money from people who earned it and give it to people who don't deserve it; you just make more unhappy people. Live with what you have, enjoy if you make more, and never look at the neighbor's grass and think "I should have that" or "he doesn't deserve that"...
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I think your looking into an older box truck to buy, use then sell has a lot of merit.
      A friend had a tree business for a while. It was far more cost effective (even with the higher insurance and special license required)
      To buy and run older used box trucks and dumps / flatbeds, than buy (sometimes at three times the cost) HD pickups for the same job.

We moved last march, we moved a short distance and made lots of small trips with stuff. We hired a local move company - three guys and a 26foot box to move the lion's share of the big heavy stuff.
      Saved my back and my sanity and they only broke one leg on one couch... even the grandfather clock survived unscathed.

For a long distance move - I would compare the price of a mayflower type company where you'd be mostly hands off and a crew with a semi does it all (when I moved to Michigan from Ohio in '00 Ford covered the move - it was literally hands off for me - I did not much more than point and say where I wanted stuff - they even wrapped the glasses and packed them into boxes, then unwrapped them and put them in the cabinets at the new location)

look at that option carefully - it will be expensive but it will save a great deal of time hassle frustration and fuel costs for you.
      It's easy to say "that's way too much money I can't afford that" if you don't look at the price of diesel to and from X number of times.... the cost of a box truck or enclosed trailer (another great buy for the move keep for the hobby options) to haul your stuff without worry of damage due to weather, your time, fuel, possibility of damage to you or your stuff and what if you blow a tire / engine / trans during one of these trips?

Playing devil's advocate here - there's a lot to consider.

I wish you nothing but the best in whatever new endeavor you place your hammer and tongs to.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
        I think your looking into an older box truck to buy, use then sell has a lot of merit.
        A friend had a tree business for a while. It was far more cost effective (even with the higher insurance and special license required)
        To buy and run older used box trucks and dumps / flatbeds, than buy (sometimes at three times the cost) HD pickups for the same job.

We moved last march, we moved a short distance and made lots of small trips with stuff. We hired a local move company - three guys and a 26foot box to move the lion's share of the big heavy stuff.
        Saved my back and my sanity and they only broke one leg on one couch... even the grandfather clock survived unscathed.

For a long distance move - I would compare the price of a mayflower type company where you'd be mostly hands off and a crew with a semi does it all (when I moved to Michigan from Ohio in '00 Ford covered the move - it was literally hands off for me - I did not much more than point and say where I wanted stuff - they even wrapped the glasses and packed them into boxes, then unwrapped them and put them in the cabinets at the new location)

look at that option carefully - it will be expensive but it will save a great deal of time hassle frustration and fuel costs for you.
        It's easy to say "that's way too much money I can't afford that" if you don't look at the price of diesel to and from X number of times.... the cost of a box truck or enclosed trailer (another great buy for the move keep for the hobby options) to haul your stuff without worry of damage due to weather, your time, fuel, possibility of damage to you or your stuff and what if you blow a tire / engine / trans during one of these trips?

Playing devil's advocate here - there's a lot to consider.

I wish you nothing but the best in whatever new endeavor you place your hammer and tongs to.
        it's roughly $25,698.34 to have someone else do the work.

Comment

Roughly

Seriously, do you have a number that's just a little closer to exact? Talk about vague....
          Last edited by STINEY; January 14, 2014, 10:31 AM.
          Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Do one more big case before you leave and you'll have it covered? What's the big deal cheapskate?

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post
              Roughly

Seriously, do you have a number that's just a little closer to exact? Talk about vague....
              that was the quote, but who comes in at quote? really, you sound like some kid fresh off the farm

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                that was the quote, but who comes in at quote? really, you sound like some kid fresh ON the farm
                There, fixed it for you. Now please excuse me, the cows got out.

Really, they got out. One just went by my window.........be back in a few......

Comment

I am facing a move here soon. To where is the question. I have to trim the fat so to speak...not looking forward to it...Then I got to find work...Meh, need to hit the lotto....
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Did you think I was joking? Darn cows anyways.....worse than little kids....

Et tu Joe? Seems like everyone is starting to pull up roots?

Comment

I moved before it was cool =P
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Trend-setter. Randal =

Comment

YEs Sir, victim of gov't down sizing. I will be unemployed sometime between August and October. I need to find a job, I need to find a place to live....stressful

I am considering geting my CDL, it will be no cost to me and will help if I ever find myself unemployed...at a very minimum I will have a paycheck and my meger pension check to cover the bills....
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Did you think I was joking? Darn cows anyways.....worse than little kids....

they taste better than kids.... just sayin'

Comment

A Barn roof collapsed from the weight of the snow and killed some cows here the other day...stupid weather, I should move!

Comment

This is my final location. My next move will be into "The Home" and I'm guessing I won't know where the heck I am by then. Or maybe I'll go directly into the oven for a final warm-up, if you get my drift. Either way, I feel sorry for my kids who will have to shovel out my shop.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                                X