Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A day in the life of a Hummer

Dear Diary,
    I woke up this morning to someone stuffing water bottles in me, and grabbing the chainsaw. It seemed almost like an afterthought where my driver picked up his chainsaw. This will not be a normal commute to his law office, I thought.

Wait one cotton-picking minute, what's the dog doing coming along with us?

Next thing I know, we're running up the road to Granite falls, and the point of our last summer mission at Monte Cristo mine. This should be fun, nice paved road, a bit of gravel; but all-in-all, a pretty easy commute....

umm. no

We get up to the snowline, and my first job is pulling some ranger out of the ditch - guy stopped to hit the port-a-potty (he missed, there was yellow snow next to his truck) and couldn't get moving again. My driver said something about "when we going to put that exploder rear differential in?"

Given the struggles of the other vehicle, I was in the lead breaking trail... until.... trees, the natural enemy of a Hummer - they're green, therefore, they must be eliminated. Fortunately, the reason for the chainsaw became pretty apparent - trees also fall down (hurray).

I should probably mention, the driver's friend, the guy with a car like my driver's said he'd come along today - it was his first time out in the woods in 4wd.... bet he was thinking "sleigh ride" - he said something about "breathing problems" and they said "great, pull on that tree" ....

finally, they gave up and hooked me up

they tried the same thing with one of those inferior Jeeps.... with predictable results

doesn't my driver look like a dork?

(orange coat)

it was a fun day - except - see the Jeep in the back of the picture?

apparently my driver wasn't working fast enough clearing the trail, so after this tree, my driver let him around and got flipped off by the Jeep's driver...
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Is that the road to Utah?
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
      Is that the road to Utah?
      GPS one!

Comment

Neat pics. Looked like fun. Hope nobody really needed finding.
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
          Neat pics. Looked like fun. Hope nobody really needed finding.
          nope, not SAR - you can tell the SAR pictures because we don't take pictures on search or recovery missions

on some weekends, we go up and run trails doing 2 things - cleaning the trail to allow quick access, and helping people out who are stuck

Comment

That's good in more ways than one. Besides the obvious, it would have to be more fun without the sense of urgency.
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

hummers.
              hahahaha.

someone took this shot in their rally car going 100 mph sideways.

don't get too confident with the new hummer. The last mechanical gems gave hemmerhoids...those are the winners apparently.
              Attached Files
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                hummers.
                hahahaha.

someone took this shot in their rally car going 100 mph sideways.

don't get too confident with the new hummer. The last mechanical gems gave hemmerhoids...those are the winners apparently.
                so one could assume you're not a Hummer fan
                street tires on ice would be a great competition to disney on ice

Comment

Looks like my idea of a good time....
                  If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I think no matter what it says on the rig... SBG will get flipped the finger.. He seems to know what is needed to go off road.. He will probably do the same thing in a Sammy!

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                      so one could assume you're not a Hummer fan
                      street tires on ice would be a great competition to disney on ice
                      I am a hummer fan, yes. I am just kidding around. My locale is an apocalypse lately. Still rigs in the ditch on I-95...days after the storms.

there is a line drawn, I find it funny. It does not matter the machine on certain situations.

this hill is by my house..given it is the fake awd years of subaru in video, I still would not climb my own hill in 4 low and limited slip all the way around this day:

for being specific, I like the 6.5 diesel hummer...cheaper to find in a pickup, never the same.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 13, 2014, 05:48 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main

Comment

don't tell anyone, but the diesel which is in the lead for the Land Rover is the 6.5 turbo diesel - for what I need, it fits the bill perfectly.... light, cheap, correct hp/torque for the chassis

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          don't tell anyone, but the diesel which is in the lead for the Land Rover is the 6.5 turbo diesel - for what I need, it fits the bill perfectly.... light, cheap, correct hp/torque for the chassis
                          I am never ending search for trucks, found an all primer black one,6. diesel. 170k miles, stick shift. $1800

gets my daydreams. they can be found, a peculiar common thing to find is wiring, as goofy as my subaru. Not all that silly, just needs more amps. Same old problems, must be maine more than anything.

I found a 200 amp delco 12si.. imagine.
                          Last edited by Barry Donovan; January 13, 2014, 08:31 PM.
                          Previously boxer3main

Comment

Originally posted by boxer3main View Post
                            I am never ending search for trucks, found an all primer black one,6. diesel. 170k miles, stick shift. $1800

gets my daydreams. they can be found, a peculiar common thing to find is wiring, as goofy as my subaru. Not all that silly, just needs more amps. Same old problems, must be maine more than anything.

I found a 200 amp delco 12si.. imagine.
                            there's rational hate, and media fueled hate.... with the GM missteps on diesels in the 70s, their next diesel were guilt by association - it's okay though, price a cummins diesel dodge to a detroit diesel GM - even if you add a turbo to a GM diesel, you're still ahead (and you don't have the transmission and body problems of the dodge)

plus, there is the "I hate everyone" part of me that really gets a kick out of seeing the public transport denizens get out of their bus shelters on a rainy day when I'm driving by.
                            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; January 13, 2014, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X