Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This has got to work, it costs more than I bought my car for!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This has got to work, it costs more than I bought my car for!

Originally posted by Brad54

And he added this little tidbit, which I can see happening, in a 1984-kinda way: If the DOT cops smell french fries as you drive by, they pull you over and find home brewed in your tank rather than regular diesel, you get fined very heavily, much like semi truckers running home heating oil in their tanks. And if they find you're brewing it yourself, they can slap you with tax evasion, since you aren't paying your highway taxes that you would be by filling at the pump. Same tactics they used on moonshiners. Distilling your own isn't necessarily against the law: distilling it in quantities large enough to sell it and evading the liquor taxes is.
    -Brad

I wondered about that too. I know that hiway taxes wouldn't be paid by making your own bio fuel and wonder how long it will be before someone comes after you.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

There is a form you can fill out stating the number of miles you've driven on non taxed alternative fuel and you can send in the money with your tax return -- I think it's a federal IRS form, but I'd think your state would want some of the money too - I don't recall the form, but I know it's out there, read about it on an alternative fuel "How to" site about bio -diesel -- of course they encourage all the forum members to use the form and pay the taxes - so they all don't get shut down.....
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

gasoline/diesel tax by state...

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by TubbedCamaro
          Originally posted by squirrel
          Biodiesel only works if just a few people do it.....there isn't enough raw material (and farmable land) to have it be a primary fuel source. But it is a good way to get rid of used cooking oil.

I have to add to this, they can make a perfectly safe for the environment biodiesel from Hemp. And as for land, if Brazil can grow enough sugarcane to make enough ethanol to fuel it's country, I'm sure that we have the land to grow enough hemp to fuel our diesel needs. And on top of that Hemp consumes 16X more CO2 than any other plant on the planet. So basically your looking at a win win situation.
          I'm not so sure about hemp as it's a dry grassy material, but marijuana is one of the oiliest plants I've ever seen, by a longgg margin, at least in appearance. And it hasn't even been bred to produce oil.
          If some of the minds working on growing it for potency would work on it's resin/oil production solely there is no doubt that it could be a major player in the energy market, especially when compared to beans.
          The sad thing is it can't happen on two fronts, one side of the fence is too uptight and controlling, while the other side of the fence is prone to abuse it....although if it was bred selected only for it's resin production alone i'm sure the potency would drop dramatically which would be a win win for all. And unlike other forms of "bio" diesel it would only take an alcohol bath to make the diesel.
          Just consider that the white on the plants below is oil and easy to see it's potential as a fuel.

I think nows a good time to point I don't get high, it's just not my thing but I am smart enough to recognize a potential fuel alternative.

Comment

I was going to mention, that the problem with trying to harvest hemp for fuel would result in a lot of blank stares and late harvests

My fabulous web page

Comment

Not to mention a lot of slow paranoid drivers ;)

Seth
              200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Imagin what would happin if you had a crop fire!

Comment

Apparently, none of you guys have smoked hemp. It grows wild in Nebraska. We called it Ditch Weed. It's good for a slight buzz and a major migraine.

Yes, I bet your imagining that conversation when we kids ran across a ditch filled with the stuff. "We're rich! We gonna get high. Someone get a knife and cut it down. Where we gonna dry it out?....."
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Scott beat me to it; only a few strains will get you high when smoked. I have to spray the ditch weed all over my property many times per summer.
                    www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

I was going on joerocket's post....that ain't ditch weed in them pics!
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

No, but familiar looking. ;D

Comment

I will go you guys one better, My 7.3 Ford F250 has not run on Diesel for over 2 years, yes that right, I burn used ATF in it, filtered threw a 10 micron filter drained from our transmission services done in our dealership.
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Good deal, bro. Bet it keeps it pretty clean, inside.

Comment

Ya but doesn't trany fluid smoke like a MF. I know when I used to work on Benz's that if a modulator went on the trans, that the car would blow white smoke like there was no tomorrow. It happened to my brother-in-law and he pulled right out in front of a cop and you couldn't even see the cop car in the cloud that it left. It was funny shit, all up until the cop pulled him over.

Comment

Working...
                              X