Best Chrome Polish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dulcich View Post
    I don't think it will polish out. Depends on how good you expect, but looks too far gone. I would not do it by hand; some polishing buff drums in a h/d die grinder and turtle wax chrome sauce is going to do the best job.
    Advice taken. I also added a bit of CLR to the mix to help dissolve the rusty stuff. Its coming back a bit, good enough for me and my tastes! The inside edges of the frame tubes and the area under the battery are not going to do so well.
    Attached Files
    www.FBthrottlebodies.com
    Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Yeah, if you are just looking to make it better than it was and call it good enough, that's the way to go. Not going to clean perfect like new though.
      -dulcich

Comment

Yeah, if you are just looking to make it better than it was and call it good enough, that's the way to go. Not going to clean perfect like new though.
        -dulcich
        Im just glad I held onto it for soo long (since 1976)... That's a lot of patina. As its not coming all the way back it'll make a dandy café bike, like it always was (and hopefully Bill Silver wont give me too much guff about it.) Im jonesing to get it going, but Im in major project overload right now.
        BKB
        www.FBthrottlebodies.com
        Bruce K Bridges

Comment

My 40 Chevy in HS had a rusty grille, I wanted to take it off and paint it black.. Dad said NO, he then spent an afternoon and half a 6 pack polishing it up..
          I have surprised alot of people using that turyle wax stuff.. Thick pourable paste..

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
            My 40 Chevy in HS had a rusty grille, I wanted to take it off and paint it black.. Dad said NO, he then spent an afternoon and half a 6 pack polishing it up..
            I have surprised alot of people using that turyle wax stuff.. Thick pourable paste..
            Yes, DB, that stuff works pretty good. You just shouldn't be a lazy bum and listen to the old man.

Comment

[QUOTE=Deaf Bob;842835]My 40 Chevy in HS had a rusty grille, I wanted to take it off and paint it black.. Dad said NO, he then spent an afternoon and half a 6 pack polishing it up..
              QUOTE]

DB
              I think that's what I've been missing... I'll try polishing after work instead of on my lunch break.
              BKB
              www.FBthrottlebodies.com
              Bruce K Bridges

Comment

OH he used the half a six-pack to polish it? I thought he had half a six-pack and then.... Never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by GFogg View Post
                  OH he used the half a six-pack to polish it? I thought he had half a six-pack and then.... Never mind.
                  Half six pack was to lube his elbow!

Comment

Had to post this. just scored 5 unopened cans of never dull for $5 at a yard sale!

Comment

ex g/f (I figured it be already covered) but I'll put it out there..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                        ex g/f (I figured it be already covered) but I'll put it out there..
                        I thought the ex gf would suck the chrome off...I was under the impression he wanted to save it.... :-)
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

-dulcich
                          He is right, once the chrome is pitting and has rust bleed, there is no making look new again. What I suggested is what I did to my chrome and stainless trim on my two cars to improve the pitted look. I have to redo it now and again, but it sure looks much better than what I started with.
                          Last edited by Scott Liggett; January 16, 2014, 11:23 AM.
                          BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I guess now I need advice on keeping it looking OK even though its still got pitting and missing bits of chrome... Wax? WD40?
                            BKB
                            www.FBthrottlebodies.com
                            Bruce K Bridges

Comment

Turtle Wax had chrome protector spray of some kind. I have a billion year old can of it here somewhere. It's chrome is pitted now too. Wax will work. Some chrome polishes have some kind of a protectant in them.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X