Clutches-what do you like and why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutches-what do you like and why?

What do you guys like for a Muscle Car era clutch, and price? Some Luk/AC Delco something or another for $150 range? Or one of the name brands in the $300-$400 range? Moderate use, not abuse. THX
    STUGOTS

I have a McLeod street/strip in my car. The clutch was about 350 for my car, for an older car I would imagine they are a bit less expensive. There was a Ford Racing Clutch in it before and it sucked from the get-go. With this McLeod in there, the difference is night and day. It accelerates quicker, its more firm.

This is the second McLeod clutch I have had, the first was in a 73 GMC pick up. It was a 350 With a mild cam headers and a holley carb...it was a solid runner but really work up the truck in the acceleration dept.
    Last edited by JOES66FURY; January 15, 2014, 03:05 PM.
    If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

I love replying to these questions.

I put a Spec clutch (made in alabama) in the ten geared suby. Twice the cfm today, accel ignition, all the hot rod chores.

it is a good time to wander to different brands, computers are aiding the new old stock to extinction.

I forogt to mention balance... the sube hits 8500 rpm.
      Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have used stock replacements from the parts guys. They work OK if you are not putting real power through them. They also have nice, soft pedal pressure.

I currently have a Zoom street/strip. Not a real fan of it. I got it through Napa. Pedal is a bit stiff, but my setup is a mish-mash of parts which could be causing a lot of that.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Ive not heard really great things about zoom clutched in the late model mustang world....
          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Hmm, interesting. I was looking at ordering a Zoom clutch to replace the one in the Skylark.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I have a McLeod RST in my 68 Mustang,pricey but works great. Less than stock pedal pressure but great feel. If you grew up (what I call "flat shifting") speed shifting without lifting off the gas it seems a little slower to release but I have a TREMEC TKO and they are known to not like that either.

The RST does not like to be slipped a lot,Im guessing because of the small discs, but it has been in stop and go So Cal traffic, Ventura Blvd.,without complaint .

Comment

Centerforce..........had 'em in several cars...........recently in my 427 Nova and currently
                in the '55 Chevy.
                Seem to hold up well.
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                  Centerforce..........had 'em in several cars...........recently in my 427 Nova and currently
                  in the '55 Chevy.
                  Seem to hold up well.
                  I was a centerforce guy until the most recent disappointment. I may get another one though, but the Zoom reviews on Amazon are essentially all positive, so that is what caught me off of guard with Scott and Joe's thoughts.
                  Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Have ran autozone clutches in car we didnt want to break the clutches, but before i ordered any aftermarket over the counter clutch, I'd call KY clutch. Call and tell them your setup and usage and they'll design and build one to your specs for cheap. I know of zero people who have been dissappointed by them.
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum

Comment

I would stay away from centerforce -the whole weights on the fingers thing has gone bad for allot of folks.

If you have a local rebuilder - I'd go with them - I've had fantastic luck with quality clutches here locally - he may ship but I'm not sure - his prices are way better than the catalogues and he will build to suit. He rebuilt the 54 clutch the day before woodward one year for me - had it turned around the same day and didn't charge me a dime extra.

There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
                        I have a McLeod RST in my 68 Mustang,pricey but works great. Less than stock pedal pressure but great feel. If you grew up (what I call "flat shifting") speed shifting without lifting off the gas it seems a little slower to release but I have a TREMEC TKO and they are known to not like that either.

The RST does not like to be slipped a lot,Im guessing because of the small discs, but it has been in stop and go So Cal traffic, Ventura Blvd.,without complaint .

You are correct, that McLeod doesnt like to be slipped AT ALL...it is a friggin choppy motherf$%#@...

Comment

Originally posted by JOES66FURY View Post
                          You are correct, that McLeod doesnt like to be slipped AT ALL...it is a friggin choppy motherf$%#@...
                          I dont find mine choppy at all,it's smooth as can be even when it starts smelling like burned up socks and jocks....

Comment

Originally posted by Cyclone03 View Post
                            I dont find mine choppy at all,it's smooth as can be even when it starts smelling like burned up socks and jocks....
                            Mine is too unless you try to slip it a bit....it is not fogiving at all....

Comment

Working...
                            X