Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Survivor Cars

What's your definition?

My definition is something that is basically a time-capsule.

All improvements or modifications (if any) STOPPED at a certain point way in the past and it is now a window into the past.

Whether it has been driven or stored during the time between then-n-now is irrelevant.

My opinion.
    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

A waste.. a car, that in our world was/is a wanted item that wasn't used. it was either babied. or sat unused for long periods of time.. I look at 30+ y/o low mile vehicles the same way.. a waste.. it wasn't enjoyed.. it was valued, but not enjoyed.. big difference..

Comment

...wasn't enjoyed then, but sure could be now.

Or it could be a car that was enjoyed carefully, for a while, then preserved. Same thing, but it sounds better.

I wonder if our old ones that we got over 30 years ago would be considered "survivors"? They've been modified some over the years.
        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

To me, its a car that hasnt been restored, or messed with after 19XX. Most likely sat unused for decades, and was taken out and not restored at that point past running.

Example:

Sitting since 1981, 52k on it, now being driven with no restoration work done outside of removing mouse shit.
          Local person
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by RustyRodder View Post
            To me, its a car that hasnt been restored, or messed with after 19XX. Most likely sat unused for decades, and was taken out and not restored at that point past running.
            That's about my definition too. And it doesn't have to be clean and low mileage; the beater Dart GTS that Hot Rod mentioned this month that gets driven through New York winters every year? It's survived. A lot.

Comment

I think a survivor car still wears its oem paint scheme with little or no touch up and OEM interior, unless its a survivor race car. I suppose a survivor could have been hot rodded, but itd have to be early on in its life (less than 10 years old?) Its just a name at any rate. If its all OG, but rotten or beaten, it really hasn't survived...but as cars get older, the bar seems to get lowered.
              BKB
              www.FBthrottlebodies.com
              Bruce K Bridges

Comment

I'd call a vehicle with 200-300k miles on it a survivor before I'd call a car that has about 2000 miles or less per year put on it.. Oh to have a time machine, and buy all the big block vettes and other gas hogs for the crazy low cost you could buy them for then(70's).. and park them, and then have them cross b/j as a "survivor" even tho. the only reason it wasn't used was lack of fuel..

Comment

survivor car is still alive.

high miles and old... not sure what to call it. check badly plastic'd the butt connectors for the new wiring.

don't wonder where the original bias ply went..

or why it has a 2001 chrysler alternator.

survivor car would have to be low miles...else altered dramatically for its given generational error.

the worst terrorizing yet is 70s to 80s.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I have what I call a surviver car. 87 GTA trans am. 200,.000 miles an it was driven in the winter about every other year. It has a few small spots where surface rust is just starting. Smaller than your little finger nail. Original paint. Getting pretty thin in spots. Well, now that I've spit all that out,.it needs the original motor and tranny, which mine doesn't.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I would consider my 66 T-Bird a survivor. 110,000 mile that lived a lot of its life in Cali, original interior that is complete but worn, one very old and faded repaint close to the original colour, original drivetrain. Some chromed goodies under the hood, old chrome smoothie wheels, and a 1980 Winternationals decal on the windshield.

cheers
                      Ed
                      Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                      07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                      88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Cars that are allergic to Chinese aftermarket accessories!!!
                        91 4X2 Custom Hemi
                        Hemi A.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by HUTCLA View Post
                          Cars that are allergic to Chinese aftermarket accessories!!!
                          That's funny right there.

I suppose there are as many definitions as there are people that care to type them.
                          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

My 81 T/A is on it's third engine, my 73 Formula still retains the original. Strangely enough, one's a 4 spd and the others an automatic. Bet you can't guess which...

Comment

81 is a stick.....I say yhat because you'd think it would be the other way.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X