The Sublime Fairlanes Demise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Sublime Fairlanes Demise

This is a tale with two parts. I will start here with what happened and you can look for part two soon detailing what the insurance company did to me with some tips on how to avoid an ins company doing it to you. On the last Friday night of September I headed out to the Camarillo cruise night, first time to make itthere. Took the wrong exit, had to double back around to get to old town, setting up one of those things you could never dream would happen. On an uphill left turn from one street to another, in the middle of a left turn a Mazda Miata coming up the other side and going about 40 to my 5 hit me about head on. Miata submarined under the nose of theFairlane and lifted the passenger side, twisting the car and destroying all that beautiful front end trim. The radiator was wrappedaround the fan and the car bounced backwards about 20 feet to the curb. The Miata had a wrinkled front fender and hood but he drove it home. My fault for interrupting his right of way,regardless of how fast he was going (35 mph zone). The photos here tell most of the story and I have finally received compensation from my insurance company. Dealing with the insurance company The past 3 months was torture from a customer point of view, as soon as their check clears look for the next part……

amazingly the glass crites hood is ok

drivers door gaps are closed up at the top and wider at bottom, do to twist in chassis

passenger door not as bad as drivers but still not right

67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
    05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

sigpic

Comment

That really sucks.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Ouch, that hurts just looking at the pics. I hope you didn't get injured.

Comment

Hoo Boy! What a bummer!

Comment

Damn, still blows.
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

That absolutely sucks Scott! It's a chance we all take by driving our cars but we never think it's going to be us.
              Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Always sad to see a nice classic caught up in a wreck.
                Hope it all works out for you.
                Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

damitalltohellsonofa.......

SO SO Sorry to see this - such a beautiful painstakingly assembled car - I surely pray there are no lasting health issue as a result of this jackwagon's carelessness.

Insurance - don't get me started!
                  There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Thanks guys. Fortunately No one was injured and I never saw the Mazda until one second before impact. I consider myself a careful driver and especially in my old cars, never figured it would happen to me. The engine still starts and runs fine and the car still drives around, I have retained the salvage though it was expensive, and will be selling it. 2 members from the FE forum are currently considering it. The ins checks should clear by tuesday and I will fill in the blanks about how I was treated.
                    67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
                    05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Comment

By the way - your avatar girl still slays me...
                      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

man, that sucks
                        Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

damn, just damn....at lest no one got hurt....physically.
                          If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Really sorry to see that happen. I saw the car at the Anti Tour kickoff at Wilwood, really nice car.

Comment

Bummer. That's one way to sell a car. Obviously not even on the list as way that you'd want to. Hope someone is going to put it back together and not just cannibalize it.
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X