Some Cool 1950's Photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Cool 1950's Photos

Thought I would share a few of these photos I was able to dig up.

Long story short, my family used to run the Chevrolet and Oldsmobile dealerships in town (Westfield MA). My Great Grandfather had purchased a Stero Realist "3D" Camera and took tons of slide photos. Some of the slides that were in not so great condition...I took apart and scanned the negatives (or positives if you will).

Here is what I have:

My Grandfather with his very first car out of School...

The Old Dealership (which is now a Burger King )

And some random cool photos that won't mean much to you guys aside from the cars lol...

....I have TONS more of the slides from this period in time. They are truly amazing to look at through the "Viewer" as they really become 3D and make you feel like you are in a much better time.

Hope you enjoy!

Cool photos...........and colored ones at that from the '50's, that's pretty rare.
    Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Real nice photos!
      None of my family's photos are color from that time frame! except studio ones..
      Keep them coming!

Comment

Great photos and I'd sure like to have several of those cars now - heck any or all of them for that matter. Thanks for posting them up and sharing.
        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Glad you guys like them.

I still have the camera that took the original slides....still works to!

I wish there was a way for me to share the slides through the viewer...the photos don't do the color/ imagery justice!

Comment

so much awesome in those pics...thanks for sharing!
            If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

Man, that thing was hi tech back then.

Keep 'em coming
              Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

very cool pics!

the dealer plates are cool! D304A is on a couple of different cars, and it looks like there is a P plate as well, which means they had a BUNCH of D-plates for the dealership.

way cool stuff.

did they keep the "get a convertible for graduating" tradition going??

edit: I couldnt even imagine wearing a white uniform to work in a shop... I get my black jeans dirty enough!!
                Last edited by 1badmonkey; January 17, 2014, 11:37 AM.
                Charles

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                  did they keep the "get a convertible for graduating" tradition going??
                  I wish!! My first car was a 1996 Oldsmobile Cierra SL ....talk about LAME!

I do take the T-Bird for an occasional spin though ;)

I also have BOXES of the Jam Handy GM Training Movie Reels from the 50's...but unfortunately I have no way of watching them!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bfurches View Post
                    I wish!! My first car was a 1996 Oldsmobile Cierra SL ....talk about LAME!

I do take the T-Bird for an occasional spin though ;)

I also have BOXES of the Jam Handy GM Training Movie Reels from the 50's...but unfortunately I have no way of watching them!!!!
                    Depending on condition of film.............I had home movies transferred to cd a couple years back.
                    Thom

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post
                      Depending on condition of film.............I had home movies transferred to cd a couple years back.
                      Yea...I had looked into this and I actually had a local film shop do that, but it was to the tune of 75.00. They charge a fee by the foot, and I couldn't justify the cost per the 50+ reels I have, so I only had one converted.

Heck...I still have one of the movies unopened from 1956!! Literally the packaging it was shipped in has yet to be touched LOL

Comment

8mm or 16mm?
                        Used to have a 16mm projector from days before closed captioned tv, there was a service that open captioned movies for the deaf.. It went out of style because of closed captioning..

I was not able to find bulbs.. The ones I did buy were like $10-20 back in the 70's
                        Last edited by Deaf Bob; January 17, 2014, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                          8mm or 16mm?
                          Used to have a 16mm projector from days before closed captioned tv, there was a service that open captioned movies for the deaf.. It went out of style because of closed captioning..

I was not able to find bulbs.. The ones I did buy were like $10-20 back in the 70's
                          I believe it was 8mm, but I am honestly not sure. I am not too familiar with traditional film to know the difference.

Not to get off topic...
                          Between your username and knowledge of services for the hearing impaired, I assume you are deaf?
                          My brother and I are 16 months apart, and he was born deaf. He attended ASD in Hartford.

Comment

Great pictures,I always seem to think it was a much better time in America in those times,we can only wish it will be like that again someday. Did you do the slides yourself or did a company/camera store do it for you? I have some like this of family Id like to turn into photos.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                              Great pictures,I always seem to think it was a much better time in America in those times,we can only wish it will be like that again someday. Did you do the slides yourself or did a company/camera store do it for you? I have some like this of family Id like to turn into photos.
                              A guy at work helped me out. He actually had a scanner designed for converting slides. It was not intended for my style, but it did work....the catch was that they are extremely difficult to reassemble. We only converted the slides that were already falling apart or damaged.

Comment

Working...
                              X