Air Boats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Boats

I've always wondered what these are like to ride in, anyone here know?

Me too.. Want wheels on mine as there ain't much swamp here...

Comment

I was on one a couple of weeks ago (tour of the bayou). It was loud, had to wear ear protection. Kind of like riding on a pontoon boat on calm water.

Comment

That looks like he's is running a BBC with a gear reduction, or increaser, for the prop. I hope it spins the prop faster without buzzing the engine. We have customers that run direct drives and blow engines left and right.

I would wear a face shield riding in that in the swamp. I don't like the way bugs taste.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

ive ridden in a few, one of the few perks living a couple minutes from the bayous
          Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

Before I croak, I wanna ride in one.
            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

It's a nice ride if the water's not choppy. Smooth, like riding on air with the wind in your hair.

But Loud. Real dang loud. Earplugs loud.
              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I've been overeducated in Airboats the past 12 months. A lot of folks here in Kearney are into them, and lots of them run our crate engines (just ask Scott Liggett about the tech support on these, haha).

A prop is only good for low RPMs, like < 3000, so if you direct drive them you are really lugging the engine - but if you spend more money, you add a gear reduction so the engine can spin higher RPM. They still tear up engines because there is a lot of harmonic stuff going on between the prop and engine itself. But they are a ton of fun. Here are some pics I took of one of the airboat trips we took up the Platte river this past summer in Kearney.

They have a very large, national event called "Thunder on the Loop" here with drag and course racing, and you see some pretty crazy stuff. I tuned a turbo airboat a few years back that did well in the drag races.

Pics from this summer:

www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

^^^That's looks like a lot of fun! Now I gotta find someplace around here that does air boats...

Edit: Found a place in Sandusky Ohio..

Last edited by tardis454; January 20, 2014, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Some pretty wild looking air boats.

Here in Florida you see them all the time. Jimbo

Comment

Working...
                    X