Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freak show pro mod

Comment

I neither love nor hate it...I would drive it either way...I dig the look of the age and weathering pre wrap, but the colors he chose look good...at least in the pictures...I would like to see it up close simply to satisfy my own curiosity...
      If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

im going to do a wrap on my S10, the paint job i want versus vinyl and since i know how to apply it im gunna save about 5k
        Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

iirc when D/F did his tank impala/caprice convert. it was 3500.00 and that might have been a discount, knowing it be in print.. Most Nascar teams wrap.. the vinyl only having a 5 year life .. is a turn off.. you could do this in the 70's with mothers contact papar, and I'll bet that's all this is
          Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; January 22, 2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

There are a few things Nascar teams really like about wraps.

1. It is an easy repair at the track if the car takes a hit.
            2. Vinyl weights less then paint for a compete job.
            2. Most teams now have one person who either knows how to run a wide format printer such as a Roland Verscamm or already has the material cut out for different sections of the car ahead of time.
            3. Such beats doing body work and paint at the track and it's really much faster to do.

One day I asked a friend of mine who does wraps to show me how it done.

He took a car sitting in the parking lot and whipped it down and then he cut some plain white vinyl and I help him to the complete hood of the car. A simple hair dryer was used in heat the vinyl on certain sections and that was about it.

I thing we spent 20 minutes on the hood.

Cool project. Jimbo

Comment

Originally posted by Jimbo17 View Post
              There are a few things Nascar teams really like about wraps.

1. It is an easy repair at the track if the car takes a hit.
              2. Vinyl weights less then paint for a compete job.
              2. Most teams now have one person who either knows how to run a wide format printer such as a Roland Verscamm or already has the material cut out for different sections of the car ahead of time.
              3. Such beats doing body work and paint at the track and it's really much faster to do.

One day I asked a friend of mine who does wraps to show me how it done.

He took a car sitting in the parking lot and whipped it down and then he cut some plain white vinyl and I help him to the complete hood of the car. A simple hair dryer was used in heat the vinyl on certain sections and that was about it.

I thing we spent 20 minutes on the hood.

Cool project. Jimbo
              it's got zero to do with any of that, it leaves the door wide open for sponsors to have different look at anytime.. and much faster than a paint job.. it being lighter doesn't mean a thing when the cars have to be "x" pounds anyways and that 4lb difference to use in bias isn't gonna make a huge difference.. it's cleaner.. no more huge paint booth in a corner of shop that takes up space.. no need to house 50 different tints cans and the equipment upkeep/cost. and it allows a different look every race ,that adds to the die-cast market that is huge money maker for team owners and drivers. and lastly gets the epa off their backs from painting repairs at the track out in the open.. Also helps with nascars "image" of going green..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                iirc when D/F did his tank impala/caprice convert. it was 3500.00 and that might have been a discount, knowing it be in print.. Most Nascar teams wrap.. the vinyl only having a 5 year life .. is a turn off.. you could do this in the 70's with mothers contact papar, and I'll bet that's all this is
                The same year he did the wrap on the '67 Impala, I had an estimate to do the bodywork and paint the Caprice from a LA body shop for $4,000. And, thanks to CARB, getting anything painted in LA is not cheap. It would have to be closer to $1000 before I would do it.

As for the '56 Chevy. Pictures and video do not pickup 1/10th what the human eye can. I have seen movie cars up close and they look like dog crap in person. I am also afraid many here would be let down to see my cars in person as they do not present well in person compared the pics I have taken.
                Last edited by Scott Liggett; January 23, 2014, 08:39 AM.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
                  The same year he did the wrap on the '67 Impala, I had an estimate to do the bodywork and paint the Caprice from a LA body shop for $4,000. And, thanks to CARB, getting anything painted in LA is not cheap. It would have to be closer to $1000 before I would do it.

As for the '56 Chevy. Pictures and video do not pickup 1/10th what the human eye can. I have seen movie cars up close and they look like dog crap in person. I am also afraid many here would be let down to see my cars in person as they do not present well in person compared the pics I have taken.
                  your cars are dam cool. even if in person they look like rats.. you work on them. use them, beat them some.. I'll take that over a dolled up show car anyday

Comment

Working...
                  X