Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sublime Fairlane Demise#2 ins nightmare-kinda long

Sorry this is so long, couldn’t find a way to shorten it
    My accident occurred at 421 pm on Friday, September 27th. My Insurance Company, Farmers (Farmersclassic car policy) sent an adjustor to see the car Monday, 9-30. As it turns out he is someone I know fairlywell and a straight shooter. He photodthe car and we discussed the twist in the chassis, and he asked me directlywhat was my desired result of all this. Itold him I was not comfortable with repairing the car, as there is no one knownto me, outside of Hansen race cars in east L A, who is capable of fixing it andthey would certainly absorb most if not all of my coverage. (25k policy) also, where would the parts comefrom? The radiator support is welded inand has the vin stamped into it-in my opinion a donor car would be needed, tocut the straight radiator support out and graft the vin section into. Thegrille and headlight surround are completely unobtainium, NO repros availableand these were cherry, pre accident.
    He then told me thebad news, he was not allowed to handle the value/repair part of this claim,Farmers would hire an outside company for that. He would be required toadminister their findings, only. Farmershired a company called Material Damage Appraisals out of Long Beach California,who sent an adjustor on October 8th to look at the car. WHAT AN IDIOT-this is where the troublestarts. As we go forward, we will refer to him as Idiot 1 or I1. I1 spends a total of 15 minutes shooting 5pics of car, writes down NOTHING I have to say, has zero interest in copies ofthe 2 inch thick file of receipts that I offer him, which I feel help todocument the cars value. He drives off and I have a sinking feeling in mystomach and I immediately call both my agent and the local adjustor to tellthem how I feel about it. They both saywe have to wait and see…
    For The next 10 days I called my agent daily who then calls everyoneinvolved (by the way, my agent was fantastic) but I am getting a bad vibe fromall this so I hired the auto appraisal group (www.autoappraisal.com) who sent out avalue appraiser who was very thorough in inspecting and establishing a preaccident value of 24k. This would helpsave my butt later. Then, on oct 28thI receive a call from IDIOT 2-posing as Idiot 1-who states he came to see mycar and his notes are not clear. Could Itell him if this car has a/c, power steering and is it FRONT OR REAR WHEELDRIVE!!?? I tell him “YOU are a f king idiot” and hang up on him, not realizingthere is now a new idiot involved. OnOctober 29th my agent receives a repair estimate for 8600.00 listinga wrecking yard in Ridgecrest, Ca as the parts source. I start demanding to know WHO is going to fixthis car for 8600.00 and what is the quality of the parts sourced and how didI1 arrive at this number? At this point in my life, things are busy and I don’tneed this aggravation, so I shove it to the side and get on with making money,(shop is very busy) enjoying Thanksgiving etc while trying to figure out whatto do. I have a pretty good relationshipwith a body shop a block away from my mechanical shop who is a Farmers contractshop as well (DRP in California speak) and they agree to take the car in andwrite an ACCURATE repair estimate although they have ZERO desire to repairanything this old. I have the car towedthere on December 2nd and they determine the only correct way tostraighten a 46 year old uni body willbe to FIRST cut out those great 2x3 channels tying the subframes together, thenreweld them back in once the floorpan is correct again. This adds 7k to the original estimate immediatelyand then they dig into the parts issues as well as REAL prep and paint timesand values. The parts source, whencontacted, says they MIGHT have a 67 Fairlane nose, or might not, it is winterand cold and we are not looking right now, and you pay shipping and if youdon’t like it when it arrives tough, NO REFUNDS. In the end, the supplement at North RanchBodycraft, who went way above and beyond in this deal, is 14,400.00 added to the original 8600 estimate. I am now complaining to the supervisor abouthow the entire thing has been handled and now that they know what it reallycosts, what are we going to do. SHE(Farmers supervisor to local adjustor) bounces the entire thing back on-youguessed it-IDIOT 1 who has to AGREE with the bodyshop estimate before anythingmoves forward. Bodyshop contacts I1, whothey are on record as disliking strongly as he is an incompetent idiot and heknows they do not like him, but he will have to show up and go over car withshop.
    On December 30th, IDIOT 2 shows up at bodyshopand tells owner of said shop “I have never seen this car before in my life”.Shop owner says that cannot be, I have an estimate you wrote and Farmers paidfor in my hand-it has your state license id number on it as well as yourfarmers adjustor id on it. Idiot 2 thensays he actually wrote that estimate for idiot 1 as a favor as idiot 1 has ZEROautomotive experience and after sitting on his hands for 3 weeks was in hotwater with Farmers and needed help. SO Idiot 2 wrote an estimate from 5 shittypics and hoped the yard in Ridgecrest might have what we needed-he never evencalled them! At this point shop owner goes over car with Idiot 2 and tells himto do the right thing and move this problem along through the system. I was out of town and when I heard this storyon Thurs, Jan 2nd I called my attorney who assured me this was absolutelyinsurance fraud on Farmers part, asking me to accept an 8600.00 repair estimateas an accurate settlement when it was written by someone who never inspectedthe vehicle. I then called the supervisor who had shoved this thing off herdesk for 4 months and told her my atty would be adding several zeros to thesettlement in one week, get off your ass and get this thing cleared up. OnFriday Jan 10th my agent calls to tell me the total loss departmentis going to contact me; I ask him “nowwhat?” and he says “they are another group of people designed to hold up yourclaim as long as possible and beat down how much you will accept”. Great. By lunch the total loss dept calls meand states they have determined car was worth 21k pre accident and will beworking from there. Not so fast I tellthe lady, I have a REAL appraisal written by a man who actually INSPECTED thevehicle and determined its value in October nearer the loss date and with realevaluations of paint and trim and interior and driveline in it. She asks for a copy which I immediately emailto her as well as the bill for that appraisal telling her I expect them toreimburse me for that appraisal too, since I had to do their work for them.

On Friday Jan 17th Ireceived adequate settlement money based on the 24k appraisal I had done,reimbursement for that appraisal, as well as retaining the salvage (I kept thecar which is now/still for sale) minusmy deductible and their salvage value.
    What would I like others to learn from this mess?
    Use a classic car insurance company who actually deals inclassics and have an AGREED value policy going in, which will require anappraisal. Do not accept theirappraisal, get one of your own and see if they agree-the guys I called weregreat.
    DO NOT accept some adjustors damage evaluation as accurateand MAKE them show you ID and proof they are qualified to look at your car
    NEVER accept any first offer, always push back. Be nice but firm and have something todocument why your settlement should be more than their offer.
    67 Fairlane 434 ci/464 hp/488 tq-RIP
    05 GTO torrid red/red gut, LS2, Auto (my knees hurt!)

Yep, all of that sounds like a typical day for me

So whatcha going to get next?
    Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

1. I agree that one should always be able to document their position (Didn't Judge Wapner say something like that repeatedly years ago on "The Peoples' Court?)

2. Even though insurance companies have a duty to be fair to their insureds, the humans who populate them often have a hard time consistently doing that. Thus the need for outsider appraisers, receipts, lawyers etc.

3. Although Agreed value coverage isn't a panacea, it's practically the only reasonable alternative for collector car insurance.

4. Although I fully understand the motivations and compulsions underlying automotive perfectionism, I'm kind of glad that my cars don't have to be perfect . . . that way I don't have to obsess over slight variations in door gaps or whether a floor pan is a couple of millimeters out of tolerance.

5. I'm also a tiny bit glad that many insureds don't fight back so much . . . Helps keep my insurance rates lower . . . .
      Last edited by 38P; January 22, 2014, 08:04 AM.

Comment

When I moved to Cali I expected everything to be laid back. My first busy Friday in line at a bank I thought I'd moved to Brooklyn the tension level was so high. Suddenly a woman of undetermined ethnic background shouted "Money goes in, EASY! Money comes back out NOT SO EASY!". Insurance companies love "Classic Car" policies thinking they are cashing in on diaper wiping elitists' paranoias. Money back out? NOT SO EASY.

What kind of company bases itself in Los Angeles and calls itself Farmers? Shouldn't it at least be Orchards considering what USED to grow here? I used to live in the east and Midwest. We had plenty of Farmers. Most didn't try to sell me insurance.
        Last edited by RockJustRock; January 22, 2014, 09:21 AM.
        My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I got shafted on my first '69 Firebird in the same manner when it was totalled by a guy that ran a red light. Insurance adjuster took like five pictures, etc. I wasn't as diligent as you were (I was 21 years old, didn't really know better). Got a low ball offer on the car, but with the offer I at least got to keep the wreck without paying a salvage value back to the insurance company. Then with my crap luck, the wreck was stolen from where it was being stored before I could start parting out the good pieces, d'oh!
          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post

5. I'm also a tiny bit glad that many insureds don't fight back so much . . . Helps keep my insurance rates lower . . . .
            nothing like the little guy losing fair value to support a large corporation.

I absolutely abhor that insurance companies require legal representation to get anything near a fair, settled value. Or, put another way, attorney's fees never come out of the little guy's pocket because whatever the settlement was pre-litigation; post-litigation, the settlement is more than the pre-litigation offer PLUS the attorney's fees.

With that said, keep it up insurance companies - I have a car hobby to support.

Comment

Originally posted by RockJustRock View Post
              When I moved to Cali I expected everything to be laid back. My first busy Friday in line at a bank I thought I'd moved to Brooklyn the tension level was so high. Suddenly a woman of undetermined ethnic background shouted "Money goes in, EASY! Money comes back out NOT SO EASY!". Insurance companies love "Classic Car" policies thinking they are cashing in on diaper wiping elitists' paranoias. Money back out? NOT SO EASY.

What kind of company bases itself in Los Angeles and calls itself Farmers? Shouldn't it at least be Orchards considering what USED to grow here? I used to live in the east and Midwest. We had plenty of Farmers. Most didn't try to sell me insurance.
              Back in the day, Orange County was named for the vast orange groves contained within the county....

Comment

Although your situation is sad it's not surprising. Not only do we have to worry about getting creamed by some idiot in their SUV but then we have to worry about getting screwed by the insurance company. It almost makes you want to take up a safer hobby like skydiving.
                Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
                  Although your situation is sad it's not surprising. Not only do we have to worry about getting creamed by some idiot in their SUV but then we have to worry about getting screwed by the insurance company. It almost makes you want to take up a safer hobby like skydiving.
                  not all insurance companies are the same. I have Hagerty for my collector cars, I've done 2 claims with them; and honestly, they were a pleasure to work with - so much so that I've not filed a couple of additional claims because I like them. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                    not all insurance companies are the same. I have Hagerty for my collector cars, I've done 2 claims with them; and honestly, they were a pleasure to work with - so much so that I've not filed a couple of additional claims because I like them. You get what you pay for.
                    Your right, some are stand up companies. I guess it boils down to researching insurance companies just like you research the parts you buy for your car.
                    Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Just a heads up on the salvage title thing. Progressive totaled one of my bikes because they felt it was the easiest thing to do. The bike was far from totaled. I refused to settle unless they left the title clean and they did.

Comment

Thanks for sharing that - good info.
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
                          nothing like the little guy losing fair value to support a large corporation. .
                          Enough of the "trial lawyer" paeans to populism.

Corporations are not bottomless pits of money. They have an obligation to their shareholders (the individuals, pension plans, unions, charitable foundations, mutual funds, and others who buy stock (or in the case of mutual insurance companies, other insureds)) to keep from bankrupting the company and provide some return on investment.

So when I see a "corporation," I see shareholders, including many retired and retiring "little guys" who depend on its success for their futures.

And in the case of insurance, the vast majority of the money from which to pay claims comes from insurance premiums and the investment of them. Actuaries compute premiums on, among other things, loss history.

Thus, the more that pirate lawyers gouge fat settlements and verdicts out of insurance companies, the more that scores of "little guys" have to pay more (or get less).

More than most organizations, insurance companies get hit daily with fraudulent claims and outrageous demands. So, while the story related above may not represent the highest standards in claim adjusting (assuming the truth of the matter asserted), it simply doesn't mean there should be an "open season" on all insurance companies, or that everyone always needs a lawyer to negotiate a fair compromise.

On the other hand, solvency of the insurance system depends on careful scrutiny of claims and negotiating reasonable loss payouts.

Also note that in many, if not most states, insurance companies are highly regulated and are subject to "bad faith" claims if what they do is unfair or unreasonable.
                          Last edited by 38P; January 22, 2014, 11:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Casper View Post
                            Just a heads up on the salvage title thing. Progressive totaled one of my bikes because they felt it was the easiest thing to do. The bike was far from totaled. I refused to settle unless they left the title clean and they did.
                            To oversimplify, "totaling" a vehicle merely means that the costs of repair exceed the fair market value (FMV)of the vehicle. If the insurance purchased only obligates them up to a maximum of FMV, then that's all they are obligated to pay.

I'm surprised (and more than a little troubled) that one can negotiate a "non-branded" or completely clean title. In my anecdotal experience, if repair costs exceed a certain (generally statutory) percentage of value, the title has to indicate the vehicle was repaired/rebuilt. However, perhaps all they did was not require a "salvage" title to settle the claim. A "salvage" title can complicate or even prevent re-registration in some states. But rebuilding a vehicle and then selling it without a "branded" title is, at least in some states, fraudulent.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outsider View Post
                              To oversimplify, "totaling" a vehicle merely means that the costs of repair exceed the fair market value (FMV)of the vehicle. If the insurance purchased only obligates them up to a maximum of FMV, then that's all they are obligated to pay.

I'm surprised (and more than a little troubled) that one can negotiate a "non-branded" or completely clean title. In my anecdotal experience, if repair costs exceed a certain (generally statutory) percentage of value, the title has to indicate the vehicle was repaired/rebuilt. However, perhaps all they did was not require a "salvage" title to settle the claim. A "salvage" title can complicate or even prevent re-registration in some states. But rebuilding a vehicle and then selling it without a "branded" title is, at least in some states, fraudulent.
                              Just imagine spending 9 lives in prison...

Comment

Working...
                              X