Bright Bulbs aren't

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bright Bulbs aren't

I changed to taillights on my 66 GMC couple of days age. I bought the diode type bright bulbs. They're not bright, in fact they are real dim and my ture signals operate real slow. I ran ground to the body and frame for both bulbs. I've never used this diode type before always used Ron Fransis bright bulbs. Is there something I'm missing?

I had that problem with the '67... did some searching and I found some things online indicating it takes a resistor or something... never pursued it, just put the regular bulbs back in and called it good. I suck at keeping the smoke in the wires.
    The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Part of the problem is the blinker. The original blinker is a bimetal switch that has resistance. With conventional bulbs, the current going through it, heats the bimetallic contact. As it heats up, it curls and opens the circuit. As it cools, it closes and the lights go back on and repeats the process. Now, with the LED bulb, they draw so little current, the bimetallic contact doesn't get as hot. As in your case, takes a long time. My guess for them being dim is due to the resistance of the blinker itself.

How to fix? You can buy an electronic blinker in most if not all auto parts chain stores. I've seen them in Autozone. IIRC, they're about $15. That should fix it.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• Click to Enlarge Image

From Summitracing.com
        $17.00

Turn Signal Flasher, LED, 2-Terminal, 12V, 25 Amp Rating, Each

Estimated Ship Date: Today Would you rather pick it up? Select Location

View Similar Products
        American Autowire Flasher Relays

Part Type: Flasher Units
        Application: Find out if this fits your application

• Email

Brand: American Autowire
        Manufacturer's Part Number: 510226
        Part Type: Flasher Units
        Product Line: American Autowire Flasher Relays
        Summit Racing Part Number: AWW-510226

Terminal Quantity: 2
        Volts: 12 V
        Amperage Rating: 20 amps
        Quantity: Sold individually.
        Notes: Used for turn signal flashers and 4-way hazard flashers with LED bulbs.
        In-Store Pickup: Choose In-store pick-up (OH, GA, NV) on our web site.

American Autowire flasher relays will get your lights functioning the way they should. These relays are designed to get your 4-way flashers and blinkers working correctly so that you are safe on the roads. American Autowire offers these flasher relays for both incandescent and LED lights, so they will work with a variety of cars, from classics to late models.

Some parts are not legal for sale or use in California on any pollution-controlled motor vehicles
        Back to Results
        Last edited by oletrux4evr; January 22, 2014, 06:16 PM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
          Part of the problem is the blinker. The original blinker is a bimetal switch that has resistance. With conventional bulbs, the current going through it, heats the bimetallic contact. As it heats up, it curls and opens the circuit. As it cools, it closes and the lights go back on and repeats the process. Now, with the LED bulb, they draw so little current, the bimetallic contact doesn't get as hot. As in your case, takes a long time. My guess for them being dim is due to the resistance of the blinker itself.

How to fix? You can buy an electronic blinker in most if not all auto parts chain stores. I've seen them in Autozone. IIRC, they're about $15. That should fix it.
          I stopped at the blinkers too, for this reason.

there is parking lamps or stationary led lights.

another oddity.. 1967, I would hope you are at 3 wire alternator. Those big engines take alot before the back and front does not get what it wants...

the 3 wire leaves a separation, you can regulate how much back to the battery by the ground size...and use more than one for that matter.

I was reworking a 1980s car, and the only thing going for it was that internal regulate, and set ground and power by gauge..all under the hood.

60s stuff is real easy tp upgrade like that, ends up same cost as original.
          Previously boxer3main
          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Thanks guys I'll check with my local parts guy. He is really good and should be able to find something with the info you provided.

Comment

very good read on why the led's don't always work in tail lights and such..
              Thank the Orge won't you..
              Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; January 22, 2014, 11:26 PM.

Comment

I have a 62 Rambler Classic SW.
                The taillights were like very bright candles. I found some modern headlights at the auto body shop from damaged cars. You might find some taillights that would work also.
                I used the small prismatic reflectors that are used for the park lights/signals.
                I cut them down to fit inside the original taillight housings. I still use the original bulbs not leds.
                Much brighter lights you can see them in the daylight.LOL Cost zero.

Nick
                Last edited by nickleone; January 23, 2014, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X