Ya Buddy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ya Buddy!!!

I have a couple of 110v mig welders, that have served me well, but after redoing a rod iron fence at the buiding my dad and I are remodeling, I realized I need something that can do a bit more. I've always wanted a nice Miller welder and today it happened, I went down to Vern Lewis Welding Supply and they carry used and refurbished welders along with new ones, I was lucky to pick up this Millermatic 212 that is a demo model that has been refurbished, even came with a 3 year warranty. Yap I finally got a real welder!!!

Last edited by BigAL; January 23, 2014, 12:29 PM.
    The Green Machine.
    http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

nice, I have a 220v one.. only problem is not everywhere has 220v avail.. I made a 50ft ext. cord because of this.. so the welder can reach the work..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
      nice, I have a 220v one.. only problem is not everywhere has 220v avail.. I made a 50ft ext. cord because of this.. so the welder can reach the work..
      I'm going to have to wire up an outlet down by my hoist, since the first job for this is going to be welding up the framework for the canopy that's going over the lift. The nice thing is the mig gun has a 15ft lead, so I'll be able to weld everything without worrying about if the gun will reach or not.
      Last edited by BigAL; January 23, 2014, 02:13 PM.
      The Green Machine.
      http://s1.postimg.org/40t9i583j/mytruck.jpg

Comment

I had a very used SP200 lincoln for a few years, then stepped up to a new miller 180 autoset, yours is a BEAST, if that's not enough welder for the job - it's a huge job! Let's hope these newer blue machines last as long as that old Lincoln... that thing had to be a 70's model and was still going strong for bigger jobs but just couldn't deal with sheet metal, even with .023 wire.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

congrats! those are very nice machines. you should get many years of service from it.

on the cheap, i've used heavy hard wire to go long distances for 220 stick welders.
          for my syncrowave i had a 50' extention of #1 wires made up, and kept both style 100 amp breakers with me. most are either square d or seimens style. i did a lot of portable welding and found no problems hooking up at customers homes. most home services are 200 amp coming into the breaker box, from my experience.

enjoy!

Comment

Originally posted by BigAL View Post
            I'm going to have to wire up an outlet down by my hoist, since the first job for this is going to be welding up the framework for the canopy that's going over the lift. The nice thing is the mig gun has a 15ft lead, so I'll be able to weld everything without worrying about if the gun will reach or not.
            my problem is I wired 3 220 outlets in the garage (back,middle,front) but to work on something in front of garage the 10' cord and 15' liner/gun lead doesn't go very far. it was easier to have the ex cable than move the 8' truck bed that's on sawhorses.. and only cost 30 bucks to make.. 10 gage grounded 110 ex cord and change ends to 220 plugs.. 10 gage is more than enough unless you are welding 3/8 plate

Comment

nice investment!
              Patrick & Tammy
              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                my problem is I wired 3 220 outlets in the garage (back,middle,front) but to work on something in front of garage the 10' cord and 15' liner/gun lead doesn't go very far. it was easier to have the ex cable than move the 8' truck bed that's on sawhorses.. and only cost 30 bucks to make.. 10 gage grounded 110 ex cord and change ends to 220 plugs.. 10 gage is more than enough unless you are welding 3/8 plate
                where'd you get a 10 gauge extension cord? You don't see those every day at least not in my travels. I ended up getting a piece of left over 8 - 4 cable and making an extension cord out of it - the plugs are about $15 a piece at the box stores as I recall. I've used dryer plugs sometimes if a machine came without a power cord.

Comment

sweet!

I have a 20' 220v extension cord - but be warned, they are not cheap. I honestly think I paid less for my first welder than I did for the cord.
                  Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

50ft
                    10-3 extension cord
                    $95 at the depot

Comment

I have a pair of yellow 50' Ship-to-Shore power cables (Muda from my boat factory days) that I have always been tempted to turn into welder extension cords.

They are probably more valuable in their intended application, should sell them and start from scratch, be money ahead.

This stuff. http://www.amazon.com/MARINCO-6152SP...e+power+cables

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                        where'd you get a 10 gauge extension cord? You don't see those every day at least not in my travels. I ended up getting a piece of left over 8 - 4 cable and making an extension cord out of it - the plugs are about $15 a piece at the box stores as I recall. I've used dryer plugs sometimes if a machine came without a power cord.
                        would you believe lowes.. I just happened to be looking for a ex cord with the 3 plug end.. and saw it.. I was like, hum that's tons cheaper than buying 50' of wire and building it out of that.. this cord is 1" round.. it's a big mutha

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                          I had a very used SP200 lincoln for a few years, then stepped up to a new miller 180 autoset, yours is a BEAST, if that's not enough welder for the job - it's a huge job! Let's hope these newer blue machines last as long as that old Lincoln... that thing had to be a 70's model and was still going strong for bigger jobs but just couldn't deal with sheet metal, even with .023 wire.
                          that is a big one, nice find big al if you got a deal. Expensive stuff.
                          Previously boxer3main
                          the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                          X