No announcement yet.

Safety Issue - Ford Escape Electric steering assist failure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got one of the EFI foxes running good enough to sell this thing yet?
    There's always something new to learn.

Comment

and you're still driving it?
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Imagine the fun a hacker could have if he could break into GM's Onstar system and use the satellites to down load all kinds of potential horrors. Their cars are all connected now. The car's computer is no longer protected from viruses because it is no longer a stand alone system. Before the only way was to plug into a single car with a reader, now you could download into thousands at once.

I use to have faith that big corporations were on top of system security based on how much they are worried about industrial espionage. But, after the Target fiasco, I am not so sure anymore. They announced they may never find out how they were hacked, or by whom.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I shopped at Target ONCE last year and paid with debit. sigh.

Well... as much as I love having a really dependable appliance, I don't work any more so I am the "get to work on time" device. I'm not buying a new car / payment at this point, I can't justify it. If this were MY daily and I was working, it would have been gone the moment the PS went wonky. It's spooky but it only has to make it through tomorrow.

I'm off to plan AB where I put the LTD pan on a 351 and see if it works in the Fox. Yesterday I threatened to do the paperwork for the 65 Falcon wagon I have. Power nuthin, 289 3spd toploader. Maybe somewhere in between brand new and Flintstone I can find a happy medium. Really need A/C here in a couple of months.

The plan for the Escape is to bring my Lightning home from the lake and let her drive that while I look into the Escape's possible solutions and sale. It's scary but I don't have a better option today or tomorrow. Plan B part two is I have a '98 Mustang GT than needs a new convertible top. I'll go get it this weekend and take it to the upholstery place. It got 24-26 on the highway the last I drove it, and the A/C worked, so I guess it will be the new "economy" car. GF will probably get 22-24, she's heavier footed than I am (most of the time).

I checked the papers, checked the finances, let a string of profanity fly, and maybe I'll settle down and get some work done now. Nothing in the papers makes me want to call my broker.

/edit - the falcon is so primitive it has a choke cable from a riding mower on it. HA!!
          Last edited by Beagle; January 30, 2014, 09:25 AM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

I have to deal with assist malibus all the time ....magnasteer ...another great idea farmed out to low bid asians

Comment

On star cant even read codes right Reb

Comment

And there we are...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/news...steering-issue Ford Recalls 914,000 Escape, Explorer SUVs For Power Steering Issue

figures. I ignored the car for about six weeks and just started driving it again - it's working fine at the moment. I had called Flaming River about a custom manual rack for it, kinda glad I didn't spend the coin now!
                Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Yup, we just got the advance notification from Ford Canada on this last night. No details on the fix yet, but chances are they will either introduce a service part instead of replacing the whole column, or the price of the column will come waaaayyyy down when they are paying for them on recall repair orders.

cheers
                  Ed
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
                  X