Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'92 f-150 4.9 inline 2wd auto ???????????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '92 f-150 4.9 inline 2wd auto ???????????

besides the normal AOD weakness.. any issues with the 300c.i.d. I should be leary about..
    152k trans 6 months ago.. reg cab,flare side..

IMO .... bullet proof. I'm actually on the hunt for one of those now.

Was the trans done by a reliable builder? And are you sure it's not the E4OD ...
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Originally posted by Bamfster View Post
      IMO .... bullet proof. I'm actually on the hunt for one of those now.

Was the trans done by a reliable builder? And are you sure it's not the E4OD ...
      didn't look it over all that well, was running around paying bills.. (oil drop 503.42 ouch) no idea on the trans being a e4od.. the guy I talked to briefly will find out about whom did the trans.. 2500 bones.. pass side cab corner got tapped, and the lower part of the fiberglass flare(easy fix), bottom of fenders are just starting , but it's going to be winter beater..

Comment

300 six will outlast the truck, even if it is not well maintained. had a 91 300 six it was mated to an AODE.
        Last edited by nesabo; February 1, 2014, 11:51 AM.
        Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

I had 91. Good little truck. I don't think you can kill the motor. The reason I sold mine was due to the fact the leaf springs rusted and were poking through the bed. And the drivers front upper rusted through. Became unsafe.
          Jeff
          Follow My Build

Comment

Agreed on the above comments, the 4.9 was an awesome mill. The trans could be an AOD or E4OD behind the 4.9 in that era, depending on how it was ordered. 92 was the first year back for the Flareside, with the "modern" fenders. If you can get the VIN, send me a p.m. with it, and I should be able to check to see which trans it came with.

cheers
            Ed
            Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
            07 Mustang GT with some stuff
            88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I wouldn't spend that much on it. For my money and that mileage I'd expect to see 4wd, a straight body, and no significant mechanical problems. For reference- I paid $900 for my '96 with 116,000 miles 302/5 speed/4wd, fixed a broken door handle, dropped $430 in new tires, did an oil change and I've driven it since. I'd say there are better deals to be had.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ciHemi View Post
                I wouldn't spend that much on it. For my money and that mileage I'd expect to see 4wd, a straight body, and no significant mechanical problems. For reference- I paid $900 for my '96 with 116,000 miles 302/5 speed/4wd, fixed a broken door handle, dropped $430 in new tires, did an oil change and I've driven it since. I'd say there are better deals to be had.
                I'd agree, but not up here in the middle of winter.. older trucks that are not rot boxes command more.. and this is before obII so no emissions testing.. free to do as I please.. They want 2450, doesn't mean they'll get that.. but if it's a new rebuilt trans, and from a good shop.. 1800 isn't out of the question? the guy/kid told me, the truck was signed over to the place after the owner couldn't afford the repairs.. i.e. kids parents would not bail kid out..
                Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; February 1, 2014, 11:35 PM.

Comment

I'd say that anywhere 1500-2000 is average .... even here. Under 1500 is a decent deal. If its the trans shop selling it for the cost of the trans, that's somewhere around $1700 for a complete rebuild, including labor, etc.
                  Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I paid $1100 for this one a few years back. Drove it for a few years and sold it for $900 with 200,000 miles on it. It had the 6 and auto and it was bulletproof.

Click image for larger version

Name:	001-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	876047
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                      I paid $1100 for this one a few years back. Drove it for a few years and sold it for $900 with 200,000 miles on it. It had the 6 and auto and it was bulletproof.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]28834[/ATTACH]
                      Any idea on mpg you avg? it's a toss up of this truck or a 79-80 Plymouth duster with leaning tower of power, clean car.. just have to check underside..
                      Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; February 3, 2014, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I had one with a supercab, cab, 2wd, 3.08 open rear with aod. bulletproof - best of 18-20 on the freeway.... aero isn't the best.
                        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I'm surprised they'll hit 18-20mpg in anything other than a streamliner but... in the stationary engine business I see those things ALL the time. Mostly the airports use them as tugs. They've been retrofitted with EFI, Propane, Natural gas, emissions equipment etc. So many of these companies REFUSE to give that engine up because it runs forever, is cheap to rebuild - as far as I can tell the thing is legendary in this industry which is notorious for abusing them, running out of oil and coolant.

On the performance side, the Huber family built one for a friend who put it in a "Hollywood Graham" street rod. I didn't realize but there was a year or three where they came with really nice long runner EFI port injected intakes! They stuck this on the engine along with a secondhand Duramax turbocharger, not sure what they did for cam but that thing had midrange yank like nobody's business. LOVED tuning that car. Unfortunately the owner passed of a heart attack shortly after it was finnished. Somewhere I have videos of it, will try to dig them up.

-Scott
                          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

The EFI 300s were in trucks and vans from I think 87 up through the demise of the old body style F series in 95
                            (96 was the girly truck with the sloping hood that the 300 didn't fit under and wouldn't pass crash)

My truck was a 92 with the EFI 300 six, automatic overdrive, and 3.08 axle ratio, it was 2wd, I put Michelin highway tread tires on it and a cab height cap on the bed - so it was about the best combination you could get for fuel economy in a pick up - and I drove it like a grandpa trying to squeeze fuel economy out of it.

The EFI set up with a turbo would be wicked!
                            There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351 View Post
                              The EFI 300s were in trucks and vans from I think 87 up through the demise of the old body style F series in 95
                              (96 was the girly truck with the sloping hood that the 300 didn't fit under and wouldn't pass crash)

My truck was a 92 with the EFI 300 six, automatic overdrive, and 3.08 axle ratio, it was 2wd, I put Michelin highway tread tires on it and a cab height cap on the bed - so it was about the best combination you could get for fuel economy in a pick up - and I drove it like a grandpa trying to squeeze fuel economy out of it.

The EFI set up with a turbo would be wicked!
                              Were those TBI or port injected? I thought they had TBI for a long time but hadn't seen many of these long runner port injected intakes before.
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X