Punctuation, grammer and spelling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Punctuation, grammer and spelling

I know people who have english language skills, I'm not one of them. The gig to me is about reading your thoughts, listening to your content and letting it be king. If I spend my time worrying about how you structure your sentences or how you composed your thoughts rather then listening to the idea your trying to convey, wouldn't I be missing something?

All that having been said; I suppose there's merit in trying to compose and correctly...

Nahhhh screw that... I'm just going to write and share my thoughts... if you can't read it without fixing the run on sentence and sorting out the spellling... I'm okay with that...

K

Re: Punctuation, grammer and spelling

I agree with you for the most part. I think my writting could be a lot better, but it's not all that bad. I generally don't mind other people's writting, or typing as the case may be, but I have seen some that is nearly impossible to follow to say the least. 8)

Comment

..............,,,,,,,,,?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !! heres a few, feel free to intall them where you think they need to go.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

I usually try to write a decent sentence along watching my spelling so I don't seem like a complete moron...partial moron is OK though.

If you're not aware of www.corner-carvers.com don't even think of posting there if you can't spell or have good grammer! They're a brutal bunch.
        Tom
        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

I don't have any problem with Keith's spelling/grammar/punctuation, he usually gets his point across.

What really bugs me, and we don't seem to have any here fortunately, are the kidz that think u can rd wrdz without any vwlz.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

This is a sign of the times since these interwebbie forumboards became popular.
            Suddenly you would have to 'read' how and what someone speaks out, instead of just listening to them. Things like bad spelling and such suddenly stand out a bit because there's no sound to go with the information that's been written down.
            When someone talks you can't hear if they mispell words, only when they're 'forced' to write something down.

Personally, I believe my English typing is better than I speak, because when typing I have more time to think about how I'm building a sentence and check for typo's.
            Then again, I still find errors in my posts occassionally. Usually I tend to forget an entire word in a sentence or something, and this can change the entire meaning of the sentence at times.
            Luckily there's an EDIT-button, and I have a good excuse in being Dutch ;D
            www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

You could teach a lot of native English speakers a thing or two!
              My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

All you can do is try, and that's a lot more than most of the society. I get messed up with the I before E thing all the time. I always choose the one that is wrong, so I just go on by it now... Keith is right about just getting the point out to the masses as long as it is intelligable and not moronic.

Comment

I write like I speak.....but sometimes that gets to be pretty free-wheeling. The good thing about speaking is that punctuation and spelling don't come into play. Grammer might show up, but then individual accents and dialects can cover even that.
                  The main thing here is that we're car junkies.....not English professors. Don't ya just love it?
                  Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                  HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Most posts on this forum are just fine. I too have problems with the no vowel thing and the total disregard for using simple grammar and punctuation marks. Turk's posts and others like him are not problem for me. You've got to excuse me --- I was a teacher for 31 years and sometime old habits are hard to break. I know that nobody is perfect. Heck, just check my posts you'll know that's true. One think I used to tell my kids is that writing is different from speaking. You may not be around when folks read what you have written and thus if there is a problem you won't be available for them to ask you what you meant if you've been unclear because of poor grammar and such.

Now lets get back to what we're here for......

Comment

My grammar and punctuation isn't perfect, but many of my post edits are simply to correct a word or punctuation.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

My ADD comes out, its hard to keep the thought in my head long enough, because my right finger gets tired and I have to rest it.
                        2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                        First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                        2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                        2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                          My ADD comes out, its hard to keep the thought in my head long enough, because my right finger gets tired and I have to rest it.
                          me too. it takes me so long to type something that i forget what the point was of me hitting the reply button in the first place.
                          a while ago i found a little trick that has helped me alot.
                          i now use my left finger for the space bar.
                          Originally posted by TC
                          also boost will make the cam act smaller

Comment

Well I'm frum oklahoma, and grew up waaayyyy out in the sticks so mine sucks, probably even more so than somebody that grew up speaking another language and learned proper english later in life. I'm sure an english teacher could rip this post apart... C'est la vie

Comment

I've written tech manuals, instructions, and how-to's for as long as I've been employed and an online carjunkie (~15 years). In school, language/English were one of my strengths, so I've always tried to write with respect for the language. I don't give anyone crap about their spelling or punctuation, though, except if it's Keith. ;)
                              www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Working...
                              X