Building Up Others That It may Benefit Those Who Listen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building Up Others That It may Benefit Those Who Listen

An event has happened, upon which it is difficult to speak, and impossible to be silent.
    --Edmund Burke (1729-1797) on the impeachment of Warren Hastings.

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
    changing a screen name every time people get angry at d-bag commentary is a lot more fail IMO.
    I had hoped the somewhat allegorical "Coda"/"Vanishing Point" post in the "Jeff Smith" thread would be a sufficient explanation for recent changes and an attempted new direction, but perhaps I was wrong.

As Bangshift Chad (and others) aptly pointed out:

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
    Like I tell my 13 year old all the time, take a breath, think about what you think you want to say for a few seconds, and then decide if it's really the smart thing to say.

. . . you are annoying people. Lots of people, and I'm having to hear about it. . . . you are on thin ice with a lot of folks on the forum . . . .
    Most people don't engage in this hobby to be "annoyed." They seek fellowship from positive people who are an encouragement, and perhaps who sometimes have to hold others in account (in a friendly, positive way).

So I killed "The Outsider" . . . I'm going to dial back the controversy (see new Avatar) and the "drama." I'm also going tighten up my posts (this one being an exception), and reduce their frequency. I've also deleted some recent posts which I determined were too inflammatory.

My new aspirational goal:

Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouth[], but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.
    Who knows if I will succeed.

While I certainly could have just registered a new screen name and ignored the past, I didn't. That would have been deceptive. All of us bear the consequences of our prior poor choices. I must bear mine alone. Yet, it seems that retiring the bullfighter's red regalia by changing the "brand" and provocative avatar are small, symbolic steps toward reducing the irritants.

Whether struggling to become a more positive influence here is a "fail" is not my purview to judge.

While words can certainly hurt others, they tend to be empty when compared to actions sustained over time. Hopefully, I can do my small part to make this a better, more fun place to discuss things that "benefit those who listen."

Happy Motoring!

Best of luck to you.

How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb? Just one - but only if the bulb WANTS to change. Sounds like you want to turn a corner. GOOD all over you!

Dan

Comment

Good for you. I pledge to do the same. I don't want people mad at me. I come to the board because I sometimes need help. Other times (in a limited way) I can be of help. I hope to be a good member and look forward to seeing you share your friendship and knowledge with us as I hope to do as well.

Comment

I look forward to the return of the intelligent, sometimes humorous, learned scribe we enjoyed.

You are clearly gifted; thanks for sticking around.

Bob
        I'm still learning

Comment

My butt itches. Let's derail this thing.

entirely too serious around here.... what we need is a zippo and some brake kleen.

OH - forgot something else. We need a build thread for the T-bird.
          Last edited by Beagle; February 7, 2014, 06:41 PM.
          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

If something bothers me, I just move on.. Sometimes..not very often, I gotta say something then when I do, I usually delete the post after pondering it..
            Kinda like being anoyed at someone, write them a note, put it away and if after some time, it still remains a thorn, send it.. Many times they dont get sent

Comment

I suffer from "Broken Filter." Sometimes I regret it. I've also been guilty of driving a point into the ground. Sometimes I auger them. It's one pitfall of being passionate about something. Pitbull tenacity is a dual edged sword. My usual response is Shit happens, let's move on...

where is the T-bird thread?
              Last edited by Beagle; February 7, 2014, 07:24 PM.

Comment

i forgot what i was gonna post.
                Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

Originally posted by oldsman496 View Post
                  i forgot what i was gonna post.
                  Probably best?
                  Last edited by Deaf Bob; February 7, 2014, 09:56 PM.

Comment

Wow , listens to the admonisments of others. Dude you just moved up two floors in what I see as maturity. I didn't hate you before but when you would get wound up into rapid fire quotes and rebuttals, yeah, I would start skipping your posts. Good luck and all the best.
                    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

This thread, the responses, is a reflection of the folks who haunt this forum. I was ready to type a few hundred more sentences, but I reckon that's enough said by me. I love this place, for every reason. The people, the real people.
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Leave the lawyer speak and "must win at any and all "at the door and you'll be fine... THAT said FORD SUCKS DONKEY BALLS I never said I had any filter.. nope never did..

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                          Leave the lawyer speak and "must win at any and all "at the door and you'll be fine... THAT said FORD SUCKS DONKEY BALLS I never said I had any filter.. nope never did..
                          Now wait....what do you REALLY mean NERF?
                          Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by NewEnglandRaceFan View Post
                            Since Speedy is being self-censoring here, I'll put it in laymans terms in one short sentence.

You are a jackass.

Carry on.

Oh yeah, forgot.. Where is the T-bird thread?
                            Last edited by Beagle; February 8, 2014, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
                              Since Speedy is being self-censoring here, I'll put it in laymans terms in one short sentence.

You are a jackass.

Carry on.

Oh yeah, forgot.. Where is the T-bird thread?
                              Why,, Thank You,,, you are TO kind..

Comment

Working...
                              X