No announcement yet.

Does Anyone Have 16" GM Rims?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took me a long time to accept that in LSR weight doesn't matter. As a matter of fact, the faster you go the more weight you add (often). But really it's a matter budget and therefore doing my own welding.

Dan

Comment

The late 90s 4th gen V6 camaros came with 16s but I believe those are 7in wide and likely require a 1/4" spacer to keep from rubbing, Pontiac grand am gets came with 16s the later ones I believe, IMO I would look into the stocks from a Chevy HHR , narrow like a 5 or 6" wide and even if you have to use a spacer they will tuck in nicely
      Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

that's why I was asking. I sorta figured you might be going that way... but I still think in terms of add what weight you need but if you can do it somewhere besides the reciprocal or unsprung weight, it's better. May not be as critical in a mile though?
        Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

With more budget I'd probably do something of an alloy nature but the steelies will work.

Boogs - I though about the HHR's but ME won't let go of her wheels! Besides, they're too skinny for the intended tires. The V6 Camaro wheels were what I was thinking. If I need spacers I can do that but they might be OK without them - I think the studs are long enough to accommodate that and if not I can change them. The Kumhos are fairly narrow for a performance tire but we'll just have to see.

Dan

Comment

Dan, check with BigBuds1 and see what he has hanging around.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
              Thanks guys!

I'll get out to PnP in a couple of days and see what I see. I'm really after steelies so I can weld the spiders in solidly as required by ECTA/SCTA. Easy enough to do. I just want a pair for the rear as I want taller tars (that's "tires" here in the Southland) so I can adjust final drive ratios. My ECSTAs are tiny little things - maybe 23" tall or so. There is a Z-rated ESCTA at 29 1/2 ish in a 16" so that's how I'd like to go.

I hunted on line and there seemed to be a steel Camaro wheel with many holes (maybe 20 or so) around the inner spider. They looked like 7" which is plenty for the Kumhos in question. I know you guys have lots of stuff laying around so I figured you might have such a thing.

Back to PnP!

Dan
              if that's the case.. Brian in his b body build got cragar soft 8"s and said the only down side was the lb's and said they where cheap.. might look into that.. and go passed the 16" and straight to a 17 as 16" are now limited in sizing..

summit racing listing
              Find Cragar Soft 8 Black Wheels and get Free Shipping on Orders Over $99 at Summit Racing! Cragar Soft 8 wheels offer classic style on-road and attitude off-road. The familiar eight-hole design features strong steel construction coated with a durable glossy black finish for lasting good looks. Soft 8 black wheels can make any rig or off-road ride look rugged and match that with performance. Not sure what wheels to buy? You can't go wrong with Cragar Soft 8 wheels--a perfect combination of performance, style, and value!

16x7 75.60
              16x8 83.52
              17x8 91.44

at 75 bucks a piece and free shipping on orders over 99.99 if you can get speed rated 16's cheap enough.. this looks like a no brainer..

lot of newer cars used 17's so it might be easier to get 17s cheaper.. and off set the extra cost of the rim..
              good luck..
              I'd think the s-10 replacement used the 5x4.75 lug many of them had steel wheels(the ones at advanced are 17)
              Last edited by NewEnglandRaceFan; February 12, 2014, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Again, thanks all! The Soft 8's are certainly worth considering. I wonder if their centers are fully welded?

Dan
                Last edited by DanStokes; February 12, 2014, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
                  It took me a long time to accept that in LSR weight doesn't matter. As a matter of fact, the faster you go the more weight you add (often). .

Dan
                  Dan - let's qualify this statement. Weight may be a solution to traction problems at Bonneville or El Mirage, where the coefficient of traction might be only 60% of a paved surface, but if traction is not a problem, the added weight slows acceleration. The weight might be needed at a mile or mile and a half airstrip to solve higher speed handling problems within class rules, but ignoring weight reduction if traction is not a problem will only lessen your speed potential.

That said, frugality and/or ability are valid reasons for not machining one-off 16" mags.

Hope to see you at impound on the Salt this August.

vic
                  vic NASCARland

Comment

For reasons beyond me they want me back. I'll see you there!

My point was that weight doesn't have the same importance in LSR that it has in drag racing. I can't find any more top end with less weight at my humble end of the spectrum - which is not to say that faster cars might not find more MPH with a weight reduction.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X