Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I had an awesome day!!! Auto repair with pics....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I had an awesome day!!! Auto repair with pics....

Joe -
    For the metal - go to any auto paint store in your area. If they don't have it they can get it from their supplier - but most have a stock of sheets, like 3x4 or so. Usually they'll have the electro deposited black coating on 'em so they won't rust up, just like store-bought patch panels. In Michigan and other rust belt states, they'll also have universal door bottoms, about 5 feet long x 8" high, with about a 45 degree bend all along one long edge. Either of those may work for you. If you can't find 'em there, check <shermanparts.com>. They have almost everything available in patch panels, and I'm pretty sure that they can supply flat stock as well, but you'll have to pay shipping.

The old hood is OK, but be aware that there isn't a flat piece on it. Factory panels may look flat but actually have crowns in all directions. As long as you work with the crown, it should be OK. Make sure to grind where you intend to weld so the paint won't contaminate the weld, and strip it before you prime, because you never know what's on that panel. I just hit it with 36 grit on the body grinder as it will likely need a skin coat of filler anyway. I once had some metal from an MGB that (I learned later) had been painted with Rustoleum. Bubbled up every coat of enamel I tried to lay down. I finally striped the panel and found some enamel primer which I used to primer it - then it painted up OK.

Hope this helps
    Dan

Comment

You seriously think a Tucson store will stock rust repair panels? (but it's definitely worth asking!)

I have couple 70s chevy truck hoods around here somewhere, not sure when I'm heading up there with a pickup though.
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

No worries, I will find something, I may have some leftovers from the skins from the 65...

Comment

Jim - some paint stores carry the flat stock for body shops. They'll use it to replace a flat panel during a collision repair, especially on an older car (sometimes impossible to get those inner panels). Stuff like the inner trunk panels and so on. So not necessarily for rust repair. I doubt they'd have the universal door bottoms, though.

I've fixed MANY rust spots with old panels from other cars, but it took me a while to learn to work with the natural curve of the panel. My early attempts had a lot more filler than the later ones!

Dan

Comment

It would be nice to use old sheet metal, they just don't make it like they used to. And if you need a compound curve, and have a lot of old pieces to choose from, you should be able to make a close match. I'd be leery of using metal from a late model, I've heard it's really hard to work with.

A 4 x 10 sheet of new 21 gage mild steel would be nice to have.
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The curves on this car are very slight, nothing drastic, the beauty lines are easily fixed as I have some extra to tack in...I think I may be beter off getting a whole skin for the supplier I found and then using what I ahve from the 65 to fill in the gaps and patch other areas.....thanks for all the tips guys! its good o have a pool of knowledge and experience to draw from....

Comment

IŽll give you something to aim for...............

I made a few revisions since you last saw it.

Comment

Malc, you are the man, that is so cool!

Shot for THAT Joe!

Comment

Malc, thats so bad ass..I still have the others you drew up for me....this one is one of my favorites....when I hit the lotto...I will build it......

Comment

Hey Joe-ain't this stuff fun?? I have been battling rust on my Torino one panel at a time...so I feel for you.
                      I won't hijack yer thread, but I'l post a few picks of some of the stuff I have had to fix or replace.

I have been meaning to ask, what color ya thinking? One of the ones pictured in the bottom of your signature?
                      Andy
                      Andrew
                      1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                      2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by malc
                        IŽll give you something to aim for...............

I made a few revisions since you last saw it.
                        Oh, BTW very :o ;D cool. Any chance you could shoot me one of a 1972 Gran Torino Sport fastback, Yellow on bottom, charcoal grey on top?
                        I am fighting where I want to break the two tone on my Torino.
                        Andrew

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Originally posted by Eliteman76
                          Hey Joe-ain't this stuff fun?? I have been battling rust on my Torino one panel at a time...so I feel for you.
                          I won't hijack yer thread, but I'l post a few picks of some of the stuff I have had to fix or replace.

I have been meaning to ask, what color ya thinking? One of the ones pictured in the bottom of your signature?
                          Andy

Yes, one of the colors...I am over the semi gloss black, outgrew that idea quick...so i either want to paint it Turbine Bronze Metallic (original color) or white with black roof and hood....thinking I will go with white due to the ammount of body work there will be in this car...

Comment

the lighter colors, generally will help hide some of the bodywork issues, if you have any. Anything darker, metallic, etc, if you don't have her smoothed out quite well, it'll probably show.
                            I have a pic I use to remind myself on my Torino:

Lots of love went into that GTS...so if I can make my car turn out close, I will be happy.
                            That bronze could be a very killer color, with the right amount of metallic in it though.

Have a good one.
                            Andrew

Comment

Working...
                            X