Mid-70s Muscle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mid-70s Muscle

Never thought I would say this, but the 73ish to 78ish series of cars aren't bad. They're mostly saddled with ugly bumpers and are a bit on the porky side, but you can't deny that they are a great starting point for a fun car these days. Cheap, can be found in grandma-fresh conditions, have better brakes and suspension than the coveted 60s muscle. I may have been tainted by my '78 Cutlass G-body, but before I purchased it, when I was looking for a cheap daily driver project, I got to looking at these cars. What do you think? Check out your local craigslist ads and see whats available.

Chevelle Leguna S3

Malibu SS

Buick Regal

Pontiac Grand Prix

Oldsmobile Cutlass

Ford Torino

Mercury Montego

Dodge Magnum

Dodge Coronet

Dodge Monaco

Plymouth Fury
    1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

Agreed! I definitely have my favourites. A friend's dad had a '77 442, with the 260/5-speed combo. Not fast, but at least fun to drive.

Comment

when I was in high school auto shop, we did some work on a mid 70s SS454 el camino or chevelle (I forget which). I got to test drive it. Man, that thing was a gutless wonder.

I think the term "Mid 70s Muscle" is an oxymoron
      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        when I was in high school auto shop, we did some work on a mid 70s SS454 el camino or chevelle (I forget which). I got to test drive it. Man, that thing was a gutless wonder.

I think the term "Mid 70s Muscle" is an oxymoron
        That's why I think they're a great starting point. In stock form they were all gutless, but fixing that is part of what this hobby is all about.

Comment

gears, exhaust, cam, converter, and it would come to life
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
            gears, exhaust, cam, converter, and it would come to life
            so very true.

mid 70s is too generalized, the thicker steel could be found right into 77 for a caprice, my 74 chevelle sedan was real 16 gauge, hit or miss..

they needed big engines. I tried to stay nice to a 250 ci with monojet, insane.

I did get to like the carb, still think it is a rochester classic...just needs the right place, like those cars and engines.

my own with a 5.7 bumped up was so confident, 200mph would be one hand on the wheel gears allowing. The b-pillar really did something. The coupes are deadly here, still synonymous with death..

better off with smaller g-body coupes, work some framing.
            Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 20, 2014, 05:46 PM.
            Previously boxer3main
            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

The nice thing about the '70's era cars is nearly all had disc brakes and V8's. The GM colonade cars really handled great. It's just a bit of work to lose the big bumper. I did it on my '73 Impala. Made a big difference.

BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I like em, I have 2.You arent going to find a Laguna like the top one cheap,in that shape. I like the 73 Grand Prix.

Comment

Originally posted by antmnte View Post
                  I like em, I have 2.You arent going to find a Laguna like the top one cheap,in that shape. I like the 73 Grand Prix.
                  I know it. About 14 years ago, When I was 17, there was a 454 powered 4-speed Laguna S3 for less than $2,000 in great shape. I bought my '70 Camaro instead because the Laguna was 'ugly'. I was wrong. Wish I bought the Laguna instead!

Comment

Nah, those cars suck. i can't see why anyone would build a 70's ride.

Mike in Southwest Ohio

Comment

I like alot of '70s cars. Even though I'm a Ford guy, GM definately ruled the mid '70s as far as styling goes. I love those Cutlass S body styles!
                      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary 351C View Post
                        I like alot of '70s cars. Even though I'm a Ford guy, GM definately ruled the mid '70s as far as styling goes. I love those Cutlass S body styles!
                        I would have to agree. GM did a great job with the Cutlass and the Malibu.

Comment

Dad had a '77 cutlass S with the flat nose not the slanted one , and with 442 tail lights.. I wanted that car so bad.. still do.. if I could find a clean one that wasn't $$$$$$$$$$$$$... last one I saw like his - the 442 tail lights was 17k

Comment

Great site for the 73-77 A body enthusiasts.

G3, Including 1973 to 1977 A-bodys. Chevelles, Monte Carlos, El Caminos, Laguna, 442, Cutlass, Malibu, GTO, LeMans, and other third 3rd generation A-bodys A-bodies 1974 1975 1976 SS 454

Comment

And the first pic that pops up on that forum is...

Click image for larger version

Name:	11271316.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	876675

Yeah, that is bad-ass!

The mom-in-law had a '73 El Camino SS, beat to crap but I got it back in shape again. Paint, motor, interior from a Buick GS and a nice set of 'Vette alum wheels. Heavy but the kind of car you'd wanna cross country in, definitely. Kinda wish we'd kept it for the El Camino collection here ('64, '70, '78 ).
                              Last edited by Loren; February 21, 2014, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X