Any love for older BMWs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any love for older BMWs

Starting to think that the 6-series BMWs are an un-tapped hot rodding platform. They're dirt cheap and the in-line 6 leaves plenty of room behind to swap in a V8.

79 633csi for $1,000

78 633csi for $800

1970 Camaro RS - SOLD | 2000 Camaro SS - Traded in for a Hyundai...
    1966 Ford Thunderbird - SOLD | 1963 MGB, abandoned V8 project, FOR SALE/SCRAP

1978 Cutlass - Post Lay-off daily driver

very wimpy.. but I see you are looking in seattle, strange opposite land of successful tin can there.

my sister paid as much as a kenworth for a 750il.. giant rubber ball.

I am actually sick of the fake standards. Have fun in seattle.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I'm just stuck at home bored with a hurt thumb, so I'm doing mental car exercises. No way I can buy another car right now.

Comment

You could be an '80's yuppie king in Bimmer 6 series.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I dig it!! turbo anything under the hood would make it fun.
          www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

bruce willis drove one in the tv show Moon Lighting
            Charles W - BS Photographer at large

Comment

I always dug those 6 series. Or even a boxy 5 series with a five speed and fat tires.

Click image for larger version

Name:	12961170002_large.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	876665

Hawk from Spenser for Hire also drove a monochrome white 6 series.
              Last edited by 67pete300; February 20, 2014, 07:00 PM.
              1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

Originally posted by dieselgeek View Post
                I dig it!! turbo anything under the hood would make it fun.
                The six cylinder in those cars was pretty decent. Though, I have seen them smoked, blown, and head gasket blown on a 5 series sedan used in Chump Car. They don't take a lot of overheating or detonation before bad things happen. A turbo set up on that engine in a 635 would be cool.
                BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

A fellow instructor friend bought an M6 as a roller a few years back for $1200, very clean car. He put together a non-M straight six with a decent turbo setup, power level was around 400 I believe he said, but I don't recall if that was at the wheels or crank. Anyway, I went for a ride with him at Mosport, the car was pulling nicely to around 145 mph up the back straight there. For comparison, my old 5.0L Mustang back in the day with heads / cam / intake etc. would get around 130 on a good day at the same spot.

I personally love the look of the 6-series cars, especially with a nice set of 16" or 17" BBS RS mesh wheels.

cheers
                  Ed
                  Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
                  07 Mustang GT with some stuff
                  88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	00u0u_79UEj2kwgN3_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	876666

1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

I like those,I really like a new 6 series. And the old 7 series from the late 70's, like those too.

Comment

fast Ed... The torque got it to those speeds while your Mustang relied on hp?
                        I am assuming he was using gas power...

Comment

My brother has an 86 7 series. Edelbrock headed 408 stroker sb mopar, 500 od trans, Electromotive EFI. Fun car, I may have to buy it from him, as he seems to have lost interest since the cam went flat.

Comment

Originally posted by MoparBilly View Post
                            My brother has an 86 7 series. Edelbrock headed 408 stroker sb mopar, 500 od trans, Electromotive EFI. Fun car, I may have to buy it from him, as he seems to have lost interest since the cam went flat.
                            That's such an odd-ball combo, I love it!

Comment

I've really like these cars for quite some time now. I'd put a Buick 3800 Series II/III V6 with a turbo in mine backed by 4L65E or a BMW 5.4L V12 NA with an AW4 auto behind it. Either case would be MS3x with a GPIO controlling the trans. The V12 I'd redo the oiling to the hydraulic lash adjusters on one of the heads so I could shut it down for a 2.7L I6 on the cruise with GM/Hemi like "air spring" cylinders with the valves shut.
                              Central TEXAS Sleeper
                              USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Working...
                              X