No announcement yet.

Behold, the wedge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never thought I'd see a Falk gear type coupling in a automotive application!
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Always thought Valsetz was far from me, (45 minute drive) and guys who worked the mill drove itin 20 minutes or less with the slant 4 Pontiac and the tempest.. Weight on rear for gravel roads.. "The Flats" is a straight marshy section about 3/4 mile long and guys hit 100 there. Weight bias was good, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
        the tempest transaxle is bolted directly to the tempest bellhousing, which is adapted to the Buick engine. The driveshaft has been replaced with a coupler of some kind.

Click image for larger version  Name:	tt1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	272.6 KB ID:	1280348
        No doubt it's a Tempest trans. I have 3 laying around and a 62 and 63 LeMans. That coupler is pretty wild, not to mention the way it is directly hooked to the engine. I gotta share this on the Pontiac sight.
        Last edited by ratpatrol66; September 14, 2020, 07:09 PM.

Comment

Going back thru the pics. I see they used a 63 Tempest dash and bezel. Does this still have all of the Tempest suspension? Man this thing is crazy!!!!

Comment

Dad had a '63 Tempest 326 w/automatic. I never worked on it so this is the first time I've seen that style transmission. I did, however, abuse the one in that Tempest pretty badly.

Dan

Comment

Yes, it has the Tempest chassis/suspension. There is some steel added between the ends, and steel body structure over the top of it. Pretty wild car...

And let me know where the Pontiac people are that know about these things...not much info about them!

I called the one place I found that claimed to have gasket sets for this...he said they probably have to make up a few gaskets, might know by the end of the week when they could be ready.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

squirrel where do you live, send me a pm. There are Tempest guys all over. You might be close to one that could set you up with another trans-axle on the cheap if that is the problem?

Comment

So far I haven't found anything broken in it...just some tired seals and gaskets , although two of the reverse frictions are broken (that would not make it lose reverse, though).

I live in southern Arizona. I guess that location doesn't show on the forum any more...it's in my profile, if you can see that.

THanks
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post

The question is, will it make it to the start of Rt 66 in Chicago next month?
                    So will you get there?

Tim
                    Melbourne Australia

65 Hardtop Impala, 70 GTS Monaro, 93 "80" Landcruiser

Comment

Good question!

I got a box of transmission parts in the mail, just got home from a few day trip, it was waiting on the porch. I guess I'll see if I can get it put back together now.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Back together....now to continue fixing other stuff, and see if I can put some miles on the car.

My fabulous web page

Comment

I did some work on the carb, got the transmission filled all the way. Then decided to do something dumb, and drove it up to Tucson this morning. It's over 100 up there, and the car wasn't real happy about that, but I did make it home.
                          My fabulous web page

Comment

You're a brave man!

Dan

Comment

yeah, bravery and stupidity are hard to distinguish from each other!
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X