Meteoroligical Terminology

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meteoroligical Terminology

Went out there yesterday washing our vehicles, got 'em all clean, splashing water everywhere. T-shirt. Nice. 70's.

But the nice weather won't last. It seems there's another one of those cold things on the way. By Thursday, it'll be here.

The most overused term this season - "Polar Vortex."

That's too scientific-sounding. Too sophisticated. Like it should have some racing decals and a front splitter on it or something. Polar Vortex. Sexy.

The better term would be, "Artic Cesspool." Same thing. Right words. That's what it is.
    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Back when I was just a lad, they referred to them as "cold snaps."
    It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Some pointy-headed cable news guy called it a polar vortex, and now it's the latest buzzword that doesn't mean shit.
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

other than it got you talking

Comment

I like "cold fronts" ....especially on the ladies!

Comment

Alberta Clippers.......
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by studemax View Post
              Some pointy-headed cable news guy called it a polar vortex, and now it's the latest buzzword that doesn't mean shit.
              I agree. it is never round for one, there is never a pinpoint.

whatever a vortex is.

it is easier to look at waves, way north and way south, passing through like the tides.

I agree with peewee as well.
              arctic cesspool.

infrastructure at the simplest level gets pummeled by arctic. bumpy roads, plastics.. ridiculous.

I did play with some titanium recently for an intake, blocks salty anything before it gets there, big battle. That stuff is greatness.
              Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 24, 2014, 08:18 PM.
              Previously boxer3main
              the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

This gets even better.

The prediction of the arctic cesspool came from about the middle of last week. They were guessing tomorrow would be sky crap and cold and stuff. That was last week's guess for this week. Apparently TDOT forgot to refresh their browser. They brined the highways in both counties I drive in, they did it mid-morning today. Yep. Salt and water mixture. Lots of trucks running to do that.

They're sure not gonna see another Atlanta-like disaster happen here, be ahead of the game. Here's the most recent forecast:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Brine Forecast.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	876781

By golly, they're ready. By all means. They've got to spread some salt, I guess, so they can get budgeted for enough salt next year. Hilarious. Who's....well, never mind.
                Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

blah salty water. it is actually silly problems.
                  I learned via airplanes I worked on local, salt problems is only because gewkster recycled steel is the mainstream.
                  50 year old planes can go another 100 for all they care...in near mint condition, titaniums and alloys.

Nothing else gets bothered...but bad builds. There is even pick and choose old thick american stuff unhindered. I choose to play with titanium in the right spots..

made a video, does not play good there.You tube is dumber than 60 years of mpeg2 video.. but it is free and uploaded anway.

recording the whole winter. I know vimeo does better with things called standards, may upload there later.
                  Last edited by Barry Donovan; February 25, 2014, 03:55 PM.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
                  X