Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A chevy versus ford hijack dump

Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
    (T)he public response is that you have hijacked this thread . . . .).
    Originally posted by BangShiftChad View Post
    (S)tart a completely different thread . . . and then come back into this thread with a reply . . . Check out my new thread (insert link to your new thread here)
    It seems that too many of the threads certain people comment in invariably are hijacked by repetitive "Chevy versus Ford" provocations.

So, I'm being more proactive in stopping such thread hijacks by taking Chad's "suggestion" (Read: DEMAND) that off-topic hijacks should go into another thread.

------------------

A brief introductory word:

While I am a Ford owner, a Ford racer, a frequent Ford event attendee, and a loyal fan of Ford's over century of motorsports involvement and tradition . . . .

I am not blind to the fact that Ford is most often its worst enemy and most lethal competitor.

I have written extensively about Ford's mistakes and missed opportunities many times in the past . . . and how GM has often capitalized on Ford's myopic approach to motorsports, the performance aftermarket, and product at various times in Ford's history.

(See e.g. "FORD MOTOR COMPANY HAS WASTED MUSTANG'S PERIOD OF EXCLUSIVITY" ( http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/2006/...-mustangs.html) and the front page sidebar "TWENTY-SIX OF FORD'S RECENT BLUNDERS (2006)" at http://speedzzter.blogspot.com/ . . . or numerous threads where these topics have come up at Bangshift.com )

Accordingly, it's just pointless to just keep repeating the same interpretations of history. The fans in each camp have already made up their minds . . . .

Instead, I will merely "dump" responsive comments that "pollute" other threads with "Chevy versus Ford" banter here.
    Last edited by 38P; February 26, 2014, 09:15 AM.

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
    Ya but you like 65 GTO
    Outsider seedy cant accept other than furd
    Um, Spidey, not that it matters here, but I bought my first Pontiac in 1977 and have continuously owned a '69 Grand Prix SJ (370 h.p. 428 ) since 1981 . . . .

I didn't leave GM . . . GM left me when the beancounters killed the real Pontiac V8 . . . and doomed Pontiac . . . .

(As an aside . . . Once I almost bought a new Fiero, but it wouldn't even start for a test drive . . . .)

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
      But you do gotta admit no other make is so involved in so many different venues as plain old chebby!
      It is certainly true that since 1955, Chevrolet has done well at capturing many low-price and grassroots sectors of the sport, even as Ford lost its near complete monopoly on American grassroots racing and hot rodding.

There are many reasons for this (see e.g.
      --Zora's 1953 Memorandum (http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...l#.Uw4HdmeYZ9A );
      --Ford's mishandling of the Corvette threat and its ceding of the American two-seat sports car market to GM for most of six decades;
      --Idiotic factory racing pull-outs in mid 1957 and 1969 & 1970;
      --Ford's literally decades of failures in supplying the hard parts that grassroots racers need to be competitive with certain Chevys at prices grassroots racers can afford;
      --Ford's alarmingly frequent engine changes and lack of platform retrofitability;
      --The Modular bore center "mistake" and Ford's refusal to make a wide-bore center DOHC four-valve;
      --The "lost years" when Ford blew the '80s 5.0 Mustang lead with the underperforming 4.6 2V GT . . . . )

But then the rules packages in some forms of competition basically outlaw or excessively handicap Fords that might otherwise be competitive (e.g. no OHC/DOHC allowed in sprint cars. NASCAR's killing of the SOHC 427 and continuing ban of SOHC, DOHC and multivalve engines. No four-valves allowed for Amsoil Engine Masters '14 . . . . )
      Last edited by 38P; February 26, 2014, 08:36 AM.

Comment

I've run Buick (big and small blocks) Olds, Caddy (500 ci of awesomeness. As well as 429's) big and small block mopsrs, 302, 400, 460 as wel as 390 Fords.. None of hem repeat as well as the plain Chevy small block for running on the ragged edge hotter than bejeezuz..
        The 292 is reputed to run glowing red hot but the one I saw was junk..
        The 302 Fords are good for one run, once they are hot, junk!
        This is what I've seen and done..
        The caddies have run hot to seizing with 40/60 diesel/race gas.. Once they cooled 15 min, they fired up to drive onto trailers.
        While that hot (pre-seize point) they will keep running when they are turned off..

Comment

I've no knowledge of how to build a derby car (nor do I intend to ever compete in that form of the sport, given my strong reservations about it).

Chevy may indeed be superior power for crashing into others without coolant.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

How bout the Mooresville Posse dominating Daytona ???

Comment

no court cases today..

Comment

I own Chevy and Ford trucks, they are all old and I'm not buying any new ones. I like some Ford engines, mainly the Cleveland, FE blocks, and the 429/460, but I also own a bunch of 302s. I hate working on the new mod motors, especially the 5.4 in trucks. Stupid design, and not just because of the spark plug issues.

The Chevy small block before 1997 isn't something I really like, orange lumps that need the aftermarket to be much of anything, but they are OK truck engines. Everyone here knows my preference, and those engines died in 1978, until many of the design features showed up in the LS1 in 97.

I don't know why anyone argues about Ford v Chevy, they both have idiotic stuff about them.

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
                  How bout the Mooresville Posse dominating Daytona ???
                  Domination? Domination?

Maybe that's what passes for "domination" today's lightweight "metrosexual" homogenized corporate daze-of-blunder . . . .

But let's remember what REAL DOMIMATION was like . . .

Or back when Ned Jarrett won the 1965 Southern 500 in a real OEM assembly-line-stamped stock car (Bondy Long's Galaxie)
                  by 17.5 miles ("still the largest margin of victory in NASCAR Sprint Cup history.") http://www.nascar.com/en_us/news-med...d-jarrett.html

Comment

how about you stop this crap an post in your t bird thread.. photo's of it's build..

Comment

versus?? cant we all just get along??

chev(peanut butter) + ford (chocolate) = yummy fun goodness

my kids chocolate getting some peanut butter
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0498.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	876793Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0577.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	876794

mmmmmm, tastes sooooo good!!
                      Charles

Comment

bt dubs

i hope your uber secret t chicken does this
                        Charles

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by 1badmonkey View Post
                            versus?? cant we all just get along??
                            Sure . . . why not?

chev(peanut butter) + ford (chocolate)
                            I guess you gotta do what you gotta do. Have fun.

For some of us, peanut butter is just cheap filler . . . we like 100% chocolate! Not LESS . . . .

But what is most troubling is that detached, arrogant mopes like Alan Mulally, Billy Ford, and a whole host of nameless, faceless Melvins in the Glass House bureaucracy, could look at countless photos like yours and frankly not care one whit that Ford's losing another generation to the bankrupt GENERAL menace, and that Ford's performance reputation takes a daily bludgeoning on-line and in the grassroots . . . .

If I was in charge, you could make book on the fact that there would quickly be a container ship load of Asian-cast aluminum Clevors headed to the aftermarket, a revolutionary and complete factory FE parts program, a phalanx of new, all-forged 385-series crate mills that one-up anything GMPP offers, and some power-adder-ready, big-cube, wide-bore center DOHCs ready to dump for a price war . . . .

(I wouldn't care if any of these made a dime of profit, because I see the performance niche as "halo marketing" targeting opinion leaders . . . and circumvention of CAFE standards)

And I'd darn sure be seriously negotiating with every major sanctioning body to end the pushrod monopoly on many major competition classes.
                            Last edited by 38P; February 26, 2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Keep posting up your historic photos

Comment

Working...
                              X