The NEW and Improved CarJunkieTv is Coming Soon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The NEW and Improved CarJunkieTv is Coming Soon

I've been hesitant to say anything because I've missed so many self-imposed deadlines in the past, but we are finally close enough that I can let the cat out of the bag. For the past few days I have been actually loading content in our all-new, totally revised version of CarJunkieTV.com and the computer guys are going through the last rounds of debugging. I think we will have the site up some time next week (no firm promises...I've been burned by technology too many times).

Here's what will be new and functioning as soon as version 2.0 goes up:

- Every video we've ever shot is now archived so you can see any video at any time
    - The video shows are now backed up with articles and photo galleries; some of the stories and galleries are small for the past shows, but the functionality is now there to give a lot more detail on each subject including dyno charts and things like that.
    - You'll be able to double-click videos to watch them in full-screen mode.
    - We have a news blog that will be updated daily with breaking news, new speed-parts, and feature items.
    - There are extra photo archives that are already loaded with a couple thousand images. The galleries cover lots and lots of subjects and some of the folders will be empty when we go live, but they will get filled with fresh content as the days and weeks go by.
    - Discussion forums appear under each video, a little bit like YouTube.
    - You can rate every video on a scale of 1-5 and then see the overall average of all users' ratings.
    - Chad and I have our own blogs that are easy to update.
    - The homepage now features a Flash presentation of the newest content on the site so that "new" tags do not stay on old content forever.
    - Every page and every photo now has a distinct URL so you can link directly to the content you want, or you can bookmark items such as a specific show or the main news page.
    - The store will be up and running so you can buy T-shirts
    - We will finally have sponsors with interactive TV commercials. See the Air Ride ad playing now on the old site for an example.
    - Each of our project cars has its own page where you can read progress reports, see photo galleries, and access a list of all the videos and stories where that car has appeared.
    - There is a new, much nicer presentation for Car of the Week, plus COTW archives.

All those are not ideas, but items that are functional on the beta site right now (except the rating stars, which we are working on). What will NOT be on the new site is Burnout Mondays. That's mostly because it takes extra programming time for the voting and archiving, but also because so few people have sent us worthy videos. If you want BOM to come back, then we're going to have to see some good stuff uploaded to us.

There will be an announcement here when we are a day away from the transition; the site may be down for a day. There will also be an email blast when the new site is up, and we'll launch our marketing efforts once again.

We've been busy. Stay tuned.

Re: The NEW and Improved CarJunkieTv is Coming Soon

Yeah !!!
    ;D

What I'm looking forward to ;

- Every video we've ever shot is now archived so you can see any video at any time
    - You'll be able to double-click videos to watch them in full-screen mode.
    - The store will be up and running so you can buy T-shirts

Comment

Glad to hear about 2.0, and look forward to the new look. Full screan will be nice.
      Living the dream!

Comment

That sounds like a hefty site-update.
        Thanks for letting the fat cat out of the bag... 8)

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

Awesome Dave.

Comment

Awesome. Can't wait.

Is there a reader's rides gallery?
            1967 Chevelle 300 2 Door Post. No factory options. 250 ci inline six with lump-ported head, big valves, Offy intake and 500cfm Edelbrock carb.

Comment

I'm pretty sure it will.

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlockMopar
                That sounds like a hefty site-update.
                Thanks for letting the fat cat out of the bag... 8)

That must have been one huge freakin' bag!
                It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Thanks for the announcement Dave. Sounds great.

Comment

The origin of the phrase "Letting the cat out of the bag" is believed to be rooted in medival times when people would buy live animals like pigs in a bag to take home. Unscrupulous merchants would put cats in the bags instead so that when the famers returned home they opened the bag and instead of a pig they found a pissed off cat which quickly lept out of the bag and ran off.
                    Central TEXAS Sleeper
                    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
                      The origin of the phrase "Letting the cat out of the bag" is believed to be rooted in medival times when people would buy live animals like pigs in a bag to take home. Unscrupulous merchants would put cats in the bags instead so that when the famers returned home they opened the bag and instead of a pig they found a pissed off cat which quickly lept out of the bag and ran off.
                      Wrong.
                      Navies of the Old World would punish crimes once a week on board ship...disorderly conduct, drunkenness, fighting, theft, etc. A grating would be rigged (a large, removable cover that went over the cargo hatchways); It was tied to a mast in an upright position, and the seaman to be punished was lashed to it, arms at the corners, shirt off. Punishment was then administered, the guilty receiving a number of lashings with the Cat-o-nine tails. The number of lashings varied depending on the seriousness of the crime, and the tyranny of the captan. Some ships--happy ships--whippings were rare. Others were hell ships, with predictable results (HMS Bounty).
                      The Bosun was in charge of the Cat, which was stored in a bag. So, if you "let the cat out of the bag," you were in trouble. "At the risk of letting the cat out of the bag," or "who let the cat out of the bag?"

The medieval reference to pigs and bags is "Buying a pig in a poke." A "poke" was a small bag, and also a coin purse. "Mind your poke in the brothel" meant keep it in sight, and don't nod off after. If you buy a pig in a poke, you think you're buying one thing, didn't check it out, and discovered it was another after the deal was done.

-Brad

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
                        I assume this will create little sub-forums off this forum where conversation is removed from here. Is this a good idea?
                        I thought we had section on this forum for threads that talk about each video.

What will NOT be on the new site is Burnout Mondays.
                        Hmm bummer. ..and I still have a couple to submit. :-\ Oh well, it's not like I didn't see this coming, or aren't happy with my involvement so far. :D

Comment

Sounds great, can't wait!!
                          "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
                            I assume this will create little sub-forums off this forum where conversation is removed from here. Is this a good idea?
                            I thought we had section on this forum for threads that talk about each video.
                            You assume wrong. The discussion on the site is linked to the discussion on the forums and vice versa. Some things may change a little as far as what sections are placed where, but it will all still be here.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackoutSteve

What will NOT be on the new site is Burnout Mondays.
                              Hmm bummer. ..and I still have a couple to submit. :-\ Oh well, it's not like I didn't see this coming, or aren't happy with my involvement so far. :D

Agreed..Bummer

Comment

Working...
                              X