Psychedelic Torque Converters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Psychedelic Torque Converters

I went to pay a visit to Ron Finch. He's one of the original bike builders. His career stretches back to the late 50's. His bikes are some of the most unique you'll ever see. As I was walking around to the back of his house, I noticed what he had been doing with some old torque converters. These would look pretty cool in the landscaping in front of a Trans Shop.
    Mike TPG

Re: Psychedelic Torque Converters

That's pretty creative.
    www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

wow, someone must be bored

Comment

All the bikes he builds are drivers. His blue glass tower on his house extends down to the workshop. The tower features see through floors. I use to weld for Ron back in the 80's. He has a lot time on his hands. He's been semi retired for about ten years.
        Mike TPG

Comment

A friend of a friend had a Finch springer on his Harley, probably about 1970 or so. It was BY FAR the nicest piece on the bike. My understanding was that he had sort of little factory where he made kits for these.

Interesting to hear his name again. The bikes and the house are way cool.

Dan

Comment

That's how I met him. I was looking for a springer for my 84' soft tail. He let me ride a bike at the shop that had one of his springers on it. They looked great, but they would bob in the corners. They didn't have a shock to dampen the springs. I wound up putting a 65 Electra glide fork on it. I owed Ron so much for the paint job, I had to work off the bill. I'm glad he was cool with that.
            Mike TPG

Comment

I love the idea of using blue glass instead of stone on that wall. Sweet.
              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

The blue glass was sitting by a glass plant in a huge pile. They let use have as much as we could haul away. Ron's original shop had the southern facing walls in half the shop made from that glass. Most of the shop was made from found materials. I couldn't believe Ron pressed some old tool and wrought iron into the cement at the back of his house. He just thinks a little out of the box.
                Mike TPG

Comment

The guy is just a rodder, but a true artist.
                  BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Every Hot Rodder is an artist. Some of the most beautiful art in the world has wheels attached. Ron displayed one his first bikes in the early 60's at the Detroit Institute of Arts. His bike was the hit of the modern art show they were having. The bike was called Odin's Axe. It had hatchets built into the forks and frame. There were a few other bike builders back in the early sixties that were turning out pure art. Arlen Ness always built them long, low, and narrow. I miss working with those guys. They were so creative. They rode the crest of the wave.
                    Mike TPG

Comment

Working...
                    X