Joe, I'll see your rusty 1/4, and raise you my door

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joe, I'll see your rusty 1/4, and raise you my door

As I didn't want to be a thread pirate...after seeing some of Joe's fun with his ride and the 1/4 panel rustage cancer, here is some fun stuff with my driver's door.
    *note*
    I would of found another door, but no rust in any of the seams, so I saved it. what a freakin' PITA it was. but I fixed it.

My driver's door looked good. Now, I've had this stupid body shell for 7 years. never bothered to look it over, as I spent time replacing other stuff as I could, like the roof skin, and the passenger 1/4 panel.
    I recently figured strip it clean, will be pretty nice like my passenger door, maybe one corner needs work on the bottom. Hey, cool, no rust inside.

Then I notice with a lot of light inside the door, holes. and a lot of them, with bondo oozing in. *&$! >
    I strip the door. Stuff was said, my wife said the dog was running for a place to hide.

What was under that 4 yes 4 layers of paint and primer, was like over 3/8" of filler.

So, I had a door off a '74 Ranchero i was ironically going to cut up and haul in. I skinned the door, and removed what I needed.

Welded up, and while I am not happy, I had to use some filler to skim the door. Unlike you chevy or mustang guys, I can't just call up year one and get a made in Tiawan repop door skin.

I cleaned the rest of the door up, and primed it last night in the garage. I love spraying at 9pm at night, but the rattling of two compressors irritates the woman at times... ;D

Now I get to block with 180, and spray again this weekend.

Now, if I can just get my NOS fenders figured out...acid dip, or muratic acid and lime sulfate at home?
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Re: Joe, I'll see your rusty 1/4, and raise you my door

Too bad there aint much repro parts for this cars.Is there anything you can get in repro for the body?

Maybe the fast and furious movie will let this often overlooked model get some attention,and the demand for parts bigger.

Youre not left by a wall when it comes to body and welding.Looks much nicer now,and it must be good to know that theres as little bondo as possible.

Comment

Aint it fun...I love it...at least I keep telling myself that..it makes the bitter pill of rust repair easier to swallow....

Comment

I guess that's the price we pay for having something unique. I wouldn't have it any other way.
        MS

Comment

You guys are having way too much fun, aren't 'cha ?

Comment

Originally posted by White Monster
            You guys are having way too much fun, aren't 'cha ?

Fun...yeah like a Labotomy, my jewels crushed in a vice and a root canal all at the same time... ;D

Comment

This thread has opened new Doors for me........ ;D :D ;D. ~OO6.

Comment

Sometimes it helps that there are repro parts ;D

Comment

a little chicken wire and 5 gal. of bondo could fix that Blazer. ;D ;D
                  Living the dream!

Comment

5 gal. of bondo per side and more beer than you can afford !
                    ;D

Comment

Ha! That's just surface rust ;) :D! Or,...'Mild Scale' as it's call 'round here ;D. ~OO6.

Comment

Originally posted by Blazerteam

Sometimes it helps that there are repro parts ;D

OR new trucks...LMAO...thats bad...havent seen that kind of stuff in a long time..thought mine was bad.....

Comment

Looks good Eliteman....I too will be in body work hell very shortly....I will make sure I post up progress.

Seth
                          200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Sometimes it helps that there are repro parts

hell you could put 44s on that with out lifting it

Comment

Working...
                            X