why I make documentaries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why I make documentaries

I wanted to share a warm story with you. I got into custom cars because in '87 I got 3rd place in a show in Roswell, NM. I had driven from Lubbock, shined up my pride & joy truck and was the only gringo in the joint that pretty summer day. As I recieved my trophy, a latino chick with huge hohos gave me a longass wet-cleavage hug. The crowd went wild and everybody there welcomed me into their groups, parties and lives, at least while I was there. I knew it was that common thread of a ride that made that possible. Now, I see bloods, crips, yuppies and rednecks hang at car events and I see it as magic. It's what I sat out to document with Moddin' Art and I was doing just that in this piece, where total strangers reach out to a little girl with cp. As you'll see, the rewards I recieved are for a lifetime.

part one: Janelle's Bike

part two: Janelle

So, I start by planning on putting some paint on a frame for a little girl and wind up with extended family. I still talk with the Repps all the time and those two little heart-snatchin' angels still giggle at my stories on the phone.
    Ryan? I barely knew him at the time. Met him at a show, told him I was gonna paint this in my car port and he told me to bring it to his house. He's my best friend now.
    The dude with the compressor? Pres. of our car club now. Turns out he's as eaten up with is as anybody and has more time than anybody. Worked out sweet.
    Hammer from the video? Dude now owns Hammer Automotive, makes air intakes that he released at that very event.
    Butweet? My freakin brother, man. Our families are gonna be putting alot of miles on some cars so we can hang more often.
    and me? All my life I suspected people are much more wonderful than evil. Now I know it and am able to see the best in people before even swapping words. Knowing it exists makes it much easier to see.

by all of this, Moddin' Art is already a great success. It does'nt matter if it ever airs as a national series. Does'nt matter what sponsorships come or go. It's grown me as a person and that can't be taken away no matter what happens. Ironicly, knowing this actually ensures the other aspects (of both the show and life in general) to be succesful.
    see how that works?
    Life is one fun wave to ride sometimes.
Working...
X