Power, does it mater how you make it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power, does it mater how you make it?

Alright this one is another one of my philosophical questions about prejudice and stereotypes in the auto hobby world.

Does it matter to you how you make the power? Do some cars just have to have a big block vs a small block? What about a turbo V or L six making the same power as the V8?

If it just has to have a particular drivetrain, is that car dependent or is it car category dependent?

I'll put my nose in here and say that a chevy in anything but a chevy or an import without a good motor offering is wrong but pulling a Toyota L6 for a chevy, same with some Nissan/Datsun motors, is still an offense.

Take it away crowd,
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Power, does it mater how you make it?

To me a lot of the reason I make a decision on motor choice is sound derived....I like the rumble of a V-8....

As far as power...Heavier cars I would prefer a high low end torque BB or stout SB....The I-6 is a great torquey motor that works great in many applications....I am not opposed to motor swaps between brands....

Other than that I am not particularly tied to any specific motor....

Seth
    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Don't be wasting any perfectly good chevy motors on furrin cars....

You can do whatever you want, some people will like it, others won't, and many won't care.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

For once I don't have a plan (unless you count my Turbo V6 in my Riviera that I'm already in the middle of) that I'm polling the public on. Just wondered what people think and why on engines in cars. For a Physicist, I'm awefully interested in psychology.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

It depends on the torque curve. Some ways of making power aren't appropriate for a particular use. A tiny 1.8 liter naturally aspirated motor making 250 hp is going to really suck in stop and go traffic since you have to wind it out like crazy to make any power and it'll have absolutely no torque. But it might be fun in some sort of track day car that you can keep always on the boil. If I ever try to make my Civic more powerful, I'd put a turbo or supercharger on it so I could have more torque instead of more redline.

On the other side of the coin, I once rode a Buell XB1200 where I felt the torque came in too early. That one would pull hard from 1,500 RPM, and with so much power in such a light frame it was kind of hard to rein it in and just ride it slowly. That thing would take off with the slightest provocation no matter what gear you were in.

For a street car, or a heavy car used in some types of racing, I'd like to have the power come on low in the RPM range. A motorcycle pretty much needs to rev to make power. A high RPM screemer is fine for a road race car or autocrosser.

It looks like my answer was a bit more based on physics than psychology - well, some of them kind of come down to the human / machine interface, like the difficulty of controlling a bike that pulls hard at any RPM.

Comment

Power, does it mater how you make it?
            I thought this was going to be a "nitrous" vs "N/A" topic when I saw this title. ;)

oh well, at least I put nitrous into the mix... ;D

www.BigBlockMopar.com

Comment

The style that the car is built in has a lot to do with it. Anything that is built to evoke memories of a specific era (traditional rod, gasser, super stock, sled, 60s-7s muscle car, etc) needs the right mill. Otherwise, you can do what you want...although any chevy with a ford motor will piss off a lot of people (in both camps) and any furrin motor in any domestic car is also "controversial".

Big motors are nice for driving around, having lotsa torque means you don't have to spend all your time shifting. Small ones are good for handling, because of the weight issue.

If you're gonna put a late model efi funky looking motor in an old car, then please don't try to make the car look like an old time hot rod, people will just shake their heads.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                The style that the car is built in has a lot to do with it. Anything that is built to evoke memories of a specific era (traditional rod, gasser, super stock, sled, 60s-7s muscle car, etc) needs the right mill. Otherwise, you can do what you want...although any chevy with a ford motor will piss off a lot of people (in both camps) and any furrin motor in any domestic car is also "controversial".
                True, something can have the right power delivery but a completely wrong style. If you did up a '65 Falcon that looked like it could have been a rival team trying to go after Holman-Moody's rally success, it would be just wrong if you popped the hood and there was a Nissan VQ35 under there, or for that matter a 2004 Cobra modular engine. Even though either one would probably drive pretty well in such a car.

Comment

Simular example being the Turbo L6 Nissan/Datsun motor in the Mustang for FF3?
                  Central TEXAS Sleeper
                  USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

I think it depends entirely on your; objective, limitations, constraints, restrictions, budget, experience, ability, preferences, goals, use and last but not least, vehicle.
                    ;)

Comment

Whatever makes you happy I say. I personally like screaming small blocks. Alot of power out of small cubes. When you hit the wall, add nitrous!
                      Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

Does it matter how you make power, to me NOPE! I don’t care which wheels drive the car either.
                        Personally, I like things that are unique due to the challenges involved. A powerful SBC is cool, but a powerful small block Oldsmobile is very, very cool. I also enjoy Turbo 4’s and 6’s keeping the V8 Big-Block crowd honest. For example that Turbo-4 mustang that's been involved in Drag week is one of the coolest cars I have ever seen!

What drives me crazy is the pissing match people get into about what is “Faster” or “Better”. If there are no rules than that line of conversation is totally irrelevant. Anything can be faster than anything else.

I guess that is why I like racing, then it matters what is fastest given a set of rules. I think the HR drag week rules are pretty good, nice and simple.

Comment

I prefer the challange of the N/A Small Blocks. When you use a power adder, at least to a point, then its a no brainer anyone can do it. :D Anyone with a turbo and a laptop can make power.

That should get things going ;) Pass the popcorn please
                          2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                          First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                          2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                          2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                            I prefer the challange of the N/A Small Blocks. When you use a power adder, at least to a point, then its a no brainer anyone can do it. :D Anyone with a turbo and a laptop can make power.

oh yeah? I say you're just making excuses for a poor $$ : power ratio. ;)

You go build a turbo motor that makes 1200hp, you already got the laptop, gimme a call when it's done I'd liek to see how easy it was ;D
                            www.realtuners.com - catch the RealTuners Radio Podcast on Youtube, Facebook, iTunes, and anywhere else podcasts are distributed!

Comment

Originally posted by JeffMcKC
                              I prefer the challange of the N/A Small Blocks.
                              Like 400 hp 327 cubic incher's !!
                              ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X