New Format - my $0.02

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Format - my $0.02

Some of you guys are quick to forget -- the worst this site got during the change was NOWHERE NEAR as bad as the HRM forum. Geez, that HRM forum would take 5 minutes to load a page sometimes and those that truly had the power to fix it would blow smoke up our *** telling us how much better it was or how it wasn't really that bad. I was a regular visitor there and haven't been back in at least 6 months.

This just seems to be a run-of-the-mill upgrade with a couple glitches along the way. At least my pages load fast and it seems DF and the guys are actually working on it.

Comment

Once its off the Dyno, I am sure it will work just fine just needs a tune in it.
      2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
      First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
      2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
      2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

COOL! I can read the page numbes now!
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Originally posted by Eric68
          Some of you guys are quick to forget -- the worst this site got during the change was NOWHERE NEAR as bad as the HRM forum. Geez, that HRM forum would take 5 minutes to load a page sometimes and those that truly had the power to fix it would blow smoke up our *** telling us how much better it was or how it wasn't really that bad. I was a regular visitor there and haven't been back in at least 6 months.

This just seems to be a run-of-the-mill upgrade with a couple glitches along the way. At least my pages load fast and it seems DF and the guys are actually working on it.
          Quote of the day, so far.

Comment

The only reason for the concern was the love of the site and the thought of possibly not having it to enjoy. The comparison to HRM was only to describe the slowness not to actually compare the two.

"it's a beautiful day in the neighborhood"

Everything looks great and works perfectly this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle
              Originally posted by Eric68

It's easy to make comparisons, but I don't think they are really fair. HRM forum is run by (fill in X with current publishing company name) Corporate. The same Corporate that seems to be running off some of their best talent. The same Corporate that randomly tells you what you like. I don't see that being the case here at all.

Yes, it was unusable when everyone was screaming yesterday. Completely unusable in my case. Looked like HTML vomit. That sort of stuff should be expected though. Whenever you make major changes, it's going to happen. You can't buy off Murphy.

On the flip side of the coin - it got fixed quickly, no harm, no foul. A few lost posts, but we were all told in advance to expect that. There will still be some tweaking done, it's like a project car. It's never really finished, and you're always seeing something you missed when you're showing it off to other folks. At least it's not like my project cars. HAH!

My hat is off to you folks. It takes huge balls to have your entire user base smoke test the new site. ;D (that was a joke...) Thanks CarjunkieTV folks for reacting and repairing it quickly! (hopefully they're asleep, sh*t like this will wear you completely out if you happen to be in charge of it.)

When we did mainframe code updates in preparation for Y2K (remember that?) I was the guy on our end doing the "smoke test" before a live billing run could happen. I was in wholesale grocery, and got picked as the "geek" who could work as a liaison with the software engineers because I was the only one there who could write Cobol. I had to stomp out fires by running a complete running test from order intake to UPC scanning, truck routing to final billing margin invoices before you had a cast of 200 waiting to go to work on Sunday night or a total cluster####.

And I had a bazillion pages of 8 point Cobol text line by line looking for anomalous lines that could blow everything up before it was fed to the operating system locally. Four updates a year, from 1993-1999, no wonder my eyes are shot : Then on Sunday it was back to my regular dispatching duties after pulling from Friday night straight through to 3:00 AM Sunday when the billing was run live.

I think this has been a great transition, take it from a critical mission IT pro, props all around. My voice and dictation software is working even better than it was. And David and Chad, the AV Kids, they are all over it. Be patient.

Comment

Its all good now, thanks i was having withdrawls. Camping happy now.

Comment

Working...
                X