Am I right to be disappointed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Am I right to be disappointed?

I'm wanting to know the price. 480HP is relatively CHEAP these days without buying THAT package
    Originally posted by BlackoutSteve
    GMPP are re-releasing the ZL1 427 in a limited 50th anniversary run of 427 units. :D
    http://www.gmperformanceparts.com/SEMA/index.jsp

OK, so I don't have any intention of buying one, it was just an anti-climax to read that it will only be producing 480hp, or 1.125hp/ci.
    With an assumed 12:1 c/r and today's solid roller cams, how easy is it to make 1.3hp/ci/550hp?

Remember, this is a crate engine that has no full exhaust, alternator, smog pump, or anything else today's SAE J1349 would force it to run on the dyno.

Does 480hp sound a little lame to you, or am I expecting too much?
    Maybe the warranty has something to do with it..

Comment

I find all of the crate engines are pretty conservatively rated.

My friends crate hemi was supposed to be something like 465hp and spun the dyno to 520hp. It was interesting because all we did was adjust the valves and had a larger carb than was reccomended - a Pro Systems Dominator on a 2" dominator to 4150 adaptor.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
        We dyno tested the 572/720 at just a couple numbers short of 800 hp using cool water temps, open headers, and an electric water pump. And the car ran virtually the same speed as it did with the small-block we had that made 820.
        Well, let's hope it's making more than the claimed 480.
        Although I do remember reading in HRM several years ago where a ZZ502/502 was within 10 of it's rating.

PS Mike & Jim.
        Those heads are basically Edelbrock 60459 heads cast for GM with a Bowtie logo (GM part number 12363392, I think cast is 12363391). I have a pair of them (Edelbrocks) on my 454.

There is no doubt good power can be made with these heads, but for the purists who will be paying for this ZL1...
        Most aluminum heads for big blocks have the boss for the additional studs, but you need to mount them through the intake ports and then screw in plugs afterwards so, some modification is required.
        It would make more sense to bolt them from underneath, which is maybe what they are doing with them now..

Oh, GREAT PHOTOS MIKE! :D

Comment

You have been doing your homework. That's what makes these forums so interesting. I like the Camaro in your avatar. I shot these photos at the 2007 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drags. They call this guy Copo Pete.
          Mike TPG

Comment

The interior and another good match up.
            Mike TPG

Comment

Nice pics again Mike! :D

Is that Vette an L88 or..? (It's not a ZL1 as the only 2 ZL1 Vettes were a white and a Yellow. -Which begs the question.. What ever happened to Otis Chandler's White ZL1 after he died recently? I assume Roger Judski of Roger's Corvette Center still owns the Yellow one.)

Is the Camaro the real deal?

(If you like my Camaro ;D, click on any link on my signature and then More from this user.)

Comment

The Vette's a L88. The Camaro is the real deal. It's so great these guys bring them out and run them hard. I've got over 1000 photos from this years event. It's great to see them run. The engine sounds alone are worth the drive. If you live close to Michigan you don't want to miss this.
                Mike TPG

Comment

Steve lives just a bit too far from MI to make the event....

(hint....see if you can figure out which side of the car his steering wheel is on)
                  My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

That's right. I live in Melbourne, but it's not the one in Florida! ;)

Comment

Wow! I need to think global not local. Sometimes I forget the power of the web. I met Ken Warby at the Gold Cup Races on the Detroit River. Ken's record of 317 mph is amazing considering he built the boat in his backyard. You Australian guys are pretty wild!
                      Mike TPG
                      Post a couple shots of your Camaro

Comment

Working...
                      X