• Show
Clear All

Re: What do you see in this picture...

looks too wide to be a SBC.

Comment

Originally posted by PYSCHOWard
      looks too wide to be a SBC.
      That could just be the extra gunk. I'm pretty sure I can make out the distributor hole on the back just before the mess of a tranny.

...the world may never know...

Comment

Well besides the engine and trans....I see a frame, upper control arm and a drum brake? Somebody was using old cars (or trucks) as part of a breakwater?

Comment

Come on guys! It's an X frame from a 58-64 GM passenger car. Engine? I can't tell for sure. Could be a small block, but I don't know. Here's the big question.

Besides a 58-64 GM what could this be?

"A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

That's pretty close to what the Camaro looks like when we bring it home from Bonneville. At least when Turk leaves it with me.

Comment

Originally posted by carjunkiechad
              Come on guys! It's an X frame from a 58-64 GM passenger car.
              well, that sure explains the PG. I didn't notice the tunnel behind it. btw, it's a Chevy frame, the GMs were all different back then

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

You are close but not quite. What else had the "similar" X frame besides 58-64 Chevy's?

Comment

Think it's a Riv?

Comment

The Caddy was similar, and I think a few years of Olds were also an X design. They didn't look like the Chevy though.

My fabulous web page

Comment

The only buick pic I can find right now is a 61 and it's a perimeter frame. and also I can't get to my scanner
                      My fabulous web page

Comment

DF may have got it. As far as my knowledge goes, and I haven't confirmed this in a long time, the following cars came with X frames.

58-64 Chevy
                        58-60 Pontiacs
                        57-62 Caddy
                        61-64 Buicks

All of these are fullsize cars. The ONLY GM car to come with an X frame after 64, is a 1965 Buick Riviera. For which, very few parts are available despite what manufacturers say. Ie. Energy believed they had front control arm bushings for this car because they thought it was an A-body. It's not, and they know it now. Some items are available, but several items you would expect to be able to find are totally different on a Riv and don't cross over to other GM platforms.

Comment

That's funny. My in-laws live on Lake St.Clair, and have a mopar B-engine block that keeps moving back to shore. They move it out about 50 ft, and sure enough....there it is again. Kind of a joke now.

Comment

My vote for the motor was this...

So a Catalina or Bonneville???

Comment

Originally posted by carjunkiechad
                              DF may have got it. As far as my knowledge goes, and I haven't confirmed this in a long time, the following cars came with X frames.

58-64 Chevy
                              58-60 Pontiacs
                              57-62 Caddy
                              61-64 Buicks

All of these are fullsize cars. The ONLY GM car to come with an X frame after 64, is a 1965 Buick Riviera. For which, very few parts are available despite what manufacturers say. Ie. Energy believed they had front control arm bushings for this car because they thought it was an A-body. It's not, and they know it now. Some items are available, but several items you would expect to be able to find are totally different on a Riv and don't cross over to other GM platforms.
                              The 64 Caddy in my driveway is an X frame as well. All GM's fullsize cars had X frames until 64, then they went to perimeter frames.
                              BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

He was car junkie member in the making, the motor is not stock, its a Hemi, I always said they made good Boat anchors! LMAO :P
                                2007 SBN/A Drag Week Winner & First only SBN/A Car in the 9's Till 2012
                                First to run in the .90s .80s and .70's in SBN/A
                                2012 SSBN/A Drag Week Winner First in the 9.60's/ 9.67 @ 139 1.42 60'
                                2013 SSBN/A Drag Week, Lets quit sand bagging, and let it rip!

Comment

Working...
                                X