No announcement yet.

Pic of the Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's fun to rent heavy equipment. Unless you normally work around the stuff, how else are you going to get to operate it?

The rental place is less than a mile away, and they let me drive it home on back roads instead of paying a truck-delivery fee. It's a "rough-terrain"-type, needed 'cause of my having to use it in dirt. I might not have mentioned my limited experience with forklifts (but I do have a little). On this one you had to get the transmission in the gear you wanted via a standard H-pattern lever, then as normal a stalk on the left of the steering was for forward/reverse and thoughtfully designed so that forward position meant forward movement, etc. No clutch per se, but a pedal on the left released/engaged power for "inching"/braking. The normal brakes are on the right which doesn't seem like a problem except the gas pedal was more on the right and back, reminiscent of the old gasser Anglias and such that had them on the trans tunnels...not the obvious position so that I'd tend to hit the brake when I wanted the gas, and then not be sure about what the brake pedal was for when I really needed it. The solution for all that was, just keep it in first and there was always time to figure it out before I rammed something. If you've never driven a forklift with their rr boat-type steering, it takes a little getting use to, still you steer right to go right.

Four levers for mast control look confusing at first, but it doesn't take long until you're running the thing around like you once did your Tonka Toys. Just be more careful.

(edit: I shouldn't mean to sound too casual...my "little" bit of experience includes, taking sensible safety and operations courses first)

These press brake machines came to me in trade for work , along with a single-station punch machine I think I posted a pic of last year. They've been sitting in my driveway smack in the way of everything for months. The smaller one needs a pump, the big Verson works fine and I posted it on CL for a few weeks at a price I would have loved to have it for myself, with little response. So I'm gonna keep it for now, stuck in the back yard I guess. It and I in-fact go 'way back, this came from a shop my Dad worked for near JPL in Pasadena during the space race, when I was perhaps age six he took me in there and I never forgot the image of that huge green machine (it seemed like ten feet tall). It was their pride-and-joy at the time, I used it plenty when I later worked at the same place for a few years. Long obsolete now for production use, but would be good for someone's shop. I may keep it just for sentiment...or as a spare for my main machine.

The forklift was wonderful fun, $209 for the day plus fuel (beats risking injury or accident dinking around trying to move stuff other ways) and I didn't mess anything up. I wanted $3500 for the brake but whatever. The small one I'll fix if I ever come across parts. Yeah I'm kinda becoming the old guy with a bunch of crap like this in his backyard, but I get to do what I want and it's pretty hidden anyway. Click image for larger version

Name:	forklift brake.JPG
Views:	1048
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	1171484
    Last edited by Loren; August 24, 2017, 06:14 AM.

Comment

• I'd love that over the old Clark we got! 4 wheel drive with front only, rear only or both.. 1940's.
      I've run big Lorain style ones that can take a whole load of logs off in one bite, little propane jobs and electric walk behinds..
      That rental would be the perfect size!

Comment

• Funny you chose today to post that Loren. This is how we spent the morning today. Removed crappy 10x18x10 "shed" and disposed of it.

[/IMG]Click image for larger version

Name:	FORKLIFTS.jpg
Views:	1058
Size:	812.8 KB
ID:	1171519
        Last edited by STINEY; August 24, 2017, 11:32 AM.
        Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• Bob I saw your pic of your forklift...it figures that anybody in the demo-derby biz would need a bad-ass old piece of equipment like that.

Stiney, pretty cool...looks like a good 'ol fashioned barn raising except in reverse and letting the machines do all the work Handy to have that low-boy too. I moved a 10x14 wood building to cut up earlier this year by removing an end wall, rolling my dump trailer into it, building some structure to attach to the side walls then lifting it up with the dump to roll out. Fortunately I had it out where I wanted before the whole thing collapsed sideways...part of the reason I rented a forklift this time.

Comment

• OOPS......look out in the rear.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tailight_Busted.jpg
Views:	1052
Size:	1.87 MB
ID:	1172045

Replaced off ebay a week later.....
            Attached Files

Comment

• Mini diesel Unimog.

Comment

• Comment

• Comment

• I like the look of this so much more than 20s

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07509w2.jpg
Views:	981
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	1172850
                      more lightning. This one cracked something like a whip, not far off.
                      very thin...very focused. Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07509w.jpg
Views:	1001
Size:	990.7 KB
ID:	1172849

What ARE the odds?!

Name:	DSC07937w.jpg
Views:	983
Size:	965.3 KB
ID:	1172859

I was fidgeting with fast shutter,as I disturbed the write head with the long bulb shots.. it was skipping 3 or 4 photos at a time. (since recovered.)
                      as you can see, I am not using remote shutter, or the stand.
                      Last edited by Barry Donovan; September 5, 2017, 07:05 PM.
                      Previously boxer3main
                      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• When your GPS screws with you.......
                        he had to find the owners of all the cars in the street he was coming out of and get them to move to get himself space...

Name:	Stuck_Truck_II.jpg
Views:	1000
Size:	262.4 KB
ID:	1172899

Name:	Stuck_Truck_I.jpg
Views:	991
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	1172900

Comment

• Found on social media...

Name:	crown-victoria.jpg
Views:	926
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	1172906

Comment

• I used to make movies out of nasa photos.
                            using ftp now, instead of war hammering with my TCL scripts.

Name:	1709061745G13I01.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	473.2 KB
ID:	1172999

back at it again.. this xeon machine is mind boggling.
                            gathering piles of different views...making uncompressed avi. etc etc
                            by next week, should have something pretty good.
                            Previously boxer3main
                            the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

• Our local airport had a fly in / cruise in yesterday. My friend flys this for a local company.

Open house at the airport.......Que up a dramatic exit. It is a sweet bird!

Name:	DSC_6647.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.01 MB
ID:	1173454

A.K.A. Brian
                              Jack of many trades-master of none

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	got traction.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1173624
                                ☺☻
                                http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Working...
                                X