The Detroit News wouldn't know a hot rod if they saw one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Detroit News wouldn't know a hot rod if they saw one

With the exception of numbers 6 thru 8. I think they have no clue!

Nightmare cruisin': 8 cars top non-classics list
    Susan Whitall / The Detroit News

Part of the fun of car-watching on Woodward Avenue this time of year is to see the unusual cars people pull out of their garages. Beyond the standard cruise icons -- the '57 Chevrolet Bel-Air, the late-'60s Pontiac GTO -- are little runabouts your grandma might have driven, such as the Ford Falcon or the Nash Rambler. But those cars had dash, and even glamour.

There are limits to cute and weird. Some auto designs were either so ugly or so utilitarian and boring (not utilitarian and cool, like an old Jeep) that they're taking up valuable space on Woodward Avenue that a Pontiac Aztek could be occupying.

Time will never give these eight vehicles the sheen of glamor -- they'll still look dorky and lame when they're of a vintage to cruise on Woodward:

Advertisement

1. Dad's old station wagon. The Station Wagon Owners of America, great guys, will be mad at me for this, but keep the Ford Country Squires, Buick Roadmasters, Chrysler Town and Country wagons, Subaru Foresters and other lame kid-and-mulch haulers off Woodward. Even the red-and-white '57 Plymouth Belvedere station wagon I was carted around in as a child -- highly collectible yes; cool, no.

2. AMC Pacer. When the Pacer came out in 1977, it looked like a big disco ball rolling down the highway. This pleased a few deluded trendsetters; the rest of us laughed ourselves silly. But time has made its ridiculous design iconic of the '70s; witness the car's appearance in the movie "Wayne's World" as Garth's "Mirthmobile."

3. AMC Gremlin. Not to pick on AMC (hey, we won't mention the Coronet), but you have to love an era in which "Gremlin" seems like a good name for a car. The Gremlin came out in 1970 and helped give the public the mistaken notion that subcompact cars had to be ugly, nerdy and clunky to drive. But it's so incredibly funny-looking that, yes, we might line up to see a parade of them motor down Woodward. To laugh.

4. Ford Pinto. OK, so there are engine fire issues; I could say the same about my '64 MG Midget. Safety isn't a deal-breaker when it comes to classic cars, but the Pinto's "I can't afford a Mustang II" lines and garish '70s colors, is.

5. Chevrolet Vega. All the dazzle of a Pinto, but with a GM nameplate. Without the rococo design cues of the AMC subcompacts, these are simply aging boxes that should never cruise. Somewhere in a landfill, there are a fleet of mashed Vegas waiting to be saved.

6. Yugo. Leave it to Yugoslavia to outdo us with the smallest, cheapest subcompact. Imported into the U.S. in the mid-'80s, this is a car that a stiff breeze would blow off a bridge. Extra points deducted for the soul-deadening, Soviet-bloc style design. Na zdravie!

7. Toyota Scion . Take all the sensuousness out of car design and you have ... the Scion! One could argue that it looked fresh and youthful a few years ago, but it's hard to believe that this box will ever prompt anything but hysterical laughter out on the strip.

8. Honda Accord. Could anything ever be done to sex up this workaday, Joe Six Pack sedan enough for cruising? No and no: Old Accords look like decommissioned washing machines with rust issues.

You can reach Susan Whitall at (313) 222-2156 or [email protected].

Re: The Detroit News wouldn't know a hot rod if they saw one

6-7-8 agree, but no wagons!?!? Come on now!

I think that the writer must be pretty uneducated in the automotive world! Sure pacers and gremlins are not MY favorite, but I've seen some pretty cool ones lately that somebody put allot of work into.

Comment

AMC Coronet? Right, don't mention it, they didn't make a Coronet.

No Wagons? Sorry, my 63 Fairlane Squire has shown it's taillights to many a Camaro and got more attention than any other car I've owned.

Fires in Pintos. Sorry honey, if any car gets hit hard enough from the rear, it will burst into flames. I can't believe the media still brings this up.

What an idiot.

Comment

Yes she is an idiot. Her violation game is a violation. Be we have to realize she was talking about stock relics that she doesn't like. If she saw what us hot rodders can do with any of these she would have to like it. Even the Yugo . I've seen one tubbed and small blocked so,I really have to disagree with her. Good thing shee didn't put her e-mail address there instead of her phone # we could swamp her!

Comment

Actually I agree with her for the most part. V8 Vegas are the glaring exception...but then she probably doesn't know what a V8 Vega is....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
            Yes she is an idiot. Her violation game is a violation. Be we have to realize she was talking about stock relics that she doesn't like. If she saw what us hot rodders can do with any of these she would have to like it. Even the Yugo . I've seen one tubbed and small blocked so,I really have to disagree with her. Good thing shee didn't put her e-mail address there instead of her phone # we could swamp her!
            Email address is there

Comment

This is a prime example of why people that aren't car people, should never try to be car people...
              what a joke!

I think this can be called an EPIC FAIL!
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Email her and break the news that she's in the top 10 list of people unqualified to be writing such columns.

Comment

I guess the reason I see it different then most of the guys here is that I actually had to cruise speedway blvd in the family wagon once in the 70s.

Times have changed...but for some older folks, memories linger.

She did a lousy job of explaining her perspective, though
                  My fabulous web page

Comment

taking up valuable space that a Pontiac Aztek could be occupying?

That's unforgivable

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                      Actually I agree with her for the most part. V8 Vegas are the glaring exception...but then she probably doesn't know what a V8 Vega is....

Ya that is what I was thinking.

But then I want an early '70's Vega myself, so I might have a personal preference when it comes to those cars. But then I do agree that the mid '70's Vega's are ugly. :P

Comment

The Woodward Dream Cruise has much bigger problems than old Gremlins and Vegas. How about getting rid of all the rental cars and minivans that clog the Cruise?

Comment

Today's minivan is yesterdays station wagon.

Today's rental car is yesterdays AMC.

My fabulous web page

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                            Today's minivan is yesterdays station wagon.

Today's rental car is yesterdays AMC.

Whoa, whoa, lay off the wagons! ;D
                            I R Bob
                            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

I guess she shouldn't look at my camaro either.
                              Coming at you live from the birthplace of GM,Flint,Mi. Where your car is worth more than the property it's parked on.

Comment

Working...
                              X