No announcement yet.

York US 30 Dragway video from the 60's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• York US 30 Dragway video from the 60's.

Lots of cool cars banging the gears. At about 3:35 is that "Hemi Under Glass" Barracuda?

Eight minute promo from the full length video available through Jim Amos' Bee On Video. Includes drag racing from the '61, '62, '63, '64 US Nat's and York U...
    "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Re: York US 30 Dragway video from the 60's.

Thanks Matt - great way to start my Sunday morning ;D
    a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Matt, you're 100% correct, that is indeed the "Hemi Under Glass".

WOW...what a piece of video there! York US 30 was known as one of, if no the premier doorslammer track back in those days. The held an event called the Super Stock Nationals (which I suspect is where some or most of this footage came from) that had every single big car in the country.

The in car shots of Dave Strickler giving his (Grumpy Jenkins tuned) Plymouth the business is priceless...those shifter throws seemed more akin to a Mack truck than a drag car. Those dudes had skills!

Brian
      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Very Nice....I thought it was funny that as much as the cars have changed....They still sound pretty much the same ;D

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Check out who tuned the car at 52 seconds.....and 1:58 and......LOL

What a great video

Comment

Hey, at 4:43 is that the Schartman Boss 429 Cougar?

Comment

The Super Stock Magazine Nationals was held in 1965 and I was there. That was like the "Woodstock" of Drag Racing and like Brian said every name doorslammer from both Coasts and everywhere in between was there! We finally got bored/tired and left about 3:00 in the morning and headed for home (Illinois), I heard they finished up around 5:30 A.M. Sunday!

Comment

Excellent find Matt !

I just love the sound of those old V-8's thumping and roaring !!!

Comment

Working...
                X