Does Barret Jackson make you mad??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Does Barret Jackson make you mad??

As a few of you said, some of these guys buy these cars as a trophy to show the Jones that they have the money to spend on a car. The ultimate trophy the last 10-15 has been the 71 Hemi Cuda Convertible. Many of these type of people live near me in Beverly Hills and Bel Air. They tell people where live because it shows they have money, then they say what street because certain streets have bigger, more expensive homes.

The same goes with the cars. Who else would pay $350 grand for a Rolls Phantom? I've driven one and I can tell you for the price you get a 6300 pound behemoth that has fancy leather and shitty gas mileage (I got 7.3 when I drove it) and you get the prestige of everyone knows how much they cost.

The end all, be all is about having your own jet. The Gulfstream 5 costs between 45-60 million and the Boeing Business Jet is closer to 80. One of my clients spent 22 million on the interior of his BBJ.

The sad part is that the cars sold at Barrett have fallen into this same shallow one-upness for the rich and aimless who really don't have any appreciation for the car itself. "Look what I bought. It's one of 15 Hemi Charger 500's with a four speed and B-5 blue paint"
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

This discussion has been on several forums and several times I hear guys who complain about the BJ autions and blame them for how they've sent the prices sky high.

These are the same guys who have no problem back-halving a 1st-Gen to fit a 4-link, tubs, flat firewall or whatever, and wonder why original, unmolestered cars are getting pricey.
      To me, those who are modifying these classic cars with more than bolt-on/off parts are more responsible for their inflation than the auction houses.

The BJ auctions and others like it just represent how hard it is to find good examples of these cars, and that less of these cars were made compared to today's demand for them.
      It also shows there are people with more money than us who are willing to buy and preserve them.

I could find a real cheap 'Cuda on eBay, and I bet you'll outbid me.

Comment

I enjoy watching the auction. Here in the northern midwest there is not alot of stuff to do during the winter months. Last year a car pal thru a BBQ in his large garage and about 25 guys (and me) showed up to watch the auction on his large screen TV. It was "entertainment", nothing more. A car party with car friends centered around a car event. Most of the cars that cross the auction block during primetime are fine examples of restorations. I enjoy the unusal shots they take of the cars. Last years "commentary" was far better then it's been in the past. That English bloke needs to keep his comments to strickly the ones he knows and leave the American cars to the other guys. Some of the blunders he's made are comical.

I can not fault someone for taking their car to the BJ auction to get whatever kind of money they can get for it. If they feel that is the best place for them to sell their car, so be it.

Certainly can't fault the BJ empire for creating a place to sell cars. We should all be this lucky to have such a successful business.

Futhermore, if some rich dude wants to overspend on a car, thats his business. To some a million dollars is like $10,000 to us. It's all relative. I sure wish I had a car that some dude would want to overpay for. I'd have it in Scottsdale so fast MY head would spin. ;D

In conclusion, if someone has watched BJ and decided that his car must be worth $$$ and you don't think so, then just walk away or make a fair offer. A person can only sell their car for what someone will give them, then it's worth that much.

Long live free enterprise!

Comment

Barret Jackson is gay............lame show

Comment

Barret Jackson is very boring, I could probably stand to watch it if they would take some of these cars hit the gas and stand them on the back bumper. 8)

Comment

This is just right now. In a year or two or three it will pass and these blowholes will move on to something else. Its a fad. What gets me is you go down to Carlisle and take a look at some of the turds there and those guys are looking for the same dough and some dope will give them that money for it.
              What about that guy on Barrett Jackson that bought the Futureliner. The guy was tossing money around like crazy he was all over the place with what he bought! WHere the hell do you keep that thing
              and what do you do with it? I would have liked to smack the guy that bought the Olds concept car for 4 million bucks too,someone should have told him to sit down and have a drink.

Comment

I need to sell my Kia Spectra LSR, while it's the only one.

I still love the Guy that was selling the RamCharger Challenger. He was so pissed that he got $200,000 for his Old piece of Crapp that should'nt be worth more than $30,000. Who cares if it was a Drag Car, The frame is probally twisted or cracked. Yes, I know it was a famous Drag Car. But, he made more selling it at auction than he did with the Car Racing it. For that kind of money I'm sure a guy could build 6 or 7 really nice Challengers, one for each day of the week and one for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
                  If you are going to tell the story, tell the whole thing. The guy your article was written about recently issued the following:

Upon Review of auction video footage and further consideration of the relevant facts, I, David L. Clabuesch, have concluded that with respect to the January 20,2007 auction of my vehicle-a 1970 Phymouth Hemi-Cuda conducted by Barrett-Jackson that I can no longer pursue any action alleging auction irregularities, including the claim that the car was short hammered while on the auction block. I have also determined that there was no relationship between Barrett-Jackson and the buyer of my vehicle nor was there any conspiracy between Barrett-Jackson and the buyer of my vehicle or any other person, to short hammer the sale of the car. I no longer believe that Barrett-Jackson violated the terms of the consignment agreement in conducting the auction sale or otherwise breached any duties to me as a consignor.

No matter how much anyone bitches, the fact is that any car is worth as much as someone else will pay for it. Hasn't anyone noticed the amount that houses and new cars and everything else has gone up in the last 20 or 30 years. First gen camaro's are now 40 years old, did we really expect them to remain cheap as they got older and more scarce? Did we all sleep through economics class? A lot of peoples envy is also showing, some of the prices are just for bragging rights, but dont automatically think those big bucks dont come from car guys. Wouldn't most of us also be bidding on some of those cars if we had an extra 20 million or so laying around?

I dont think it is BJ is to blame, it is us car guys that have the desire to own them. If nobody wanted them, they wouldnt bring the dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by onevoice
                    No matter how much anyone bitches, the fact is that any car is worth as much as someone else will pay for it.
                    Barret Jackson Delusional Syndrome means I have to waste my time finding anyone who is willing to sell their car for "what someone else will pay for it". There are 27 million delusional idiots sitting around thinking their turd is worth more than 5 grand even though it doesn't have floorboards or an engine.

I'll vouch that most of the guys at Barret Jackson know more about RPOs, Protect-o-plates, and production stats than I do, they make a lot of money, they spend a lot of money, and they know exactly what they want... Don't go by what makes the show, go out there and experience it, every number crunching chalk-mark nerd in the universe is out there... with a big wallet and there are lots of sellers that get their hearts broken... expecially corvette guys.
                    Cheap, slow, half-assed: Pick three

Comment

VERY well said OneVoice.

Some of the cars the last couple of night have been down right INEXPENSIVE even with the buys and sellers fees attached.

Comment

I also look at this particuliar auction as pure entertainment. I like to look at the cars just as if I was at a show. Where else can you see that kind of variety without leaving your livingroom?

One thing you can't forget is that BJ has been in business for many years and has always had very good quality cars and hence the record or near record prices for pristines examples. Even in the '80s and '90s this was going on. One of the things that's different now is that it was only reported in magazines and such that only car guys would have read. Now that it's on TV it's in everyones face and that's why you seemingly can't buy an old car for a decent price.

Other auction events also have great cars but don't seem to have the same prices paid for them. They are events that are not televised. What's that tell you?

Comment

I, too, enjoy watching the auction for entertainment (especially in January!). As a variety car show, it is one of the best on TV imho. One of the entertaining aspects is watching these guys like the forementioned Judge Claubesch who bring cars to a "No Reserve" auction and watching the look on their faces when their rides don't bring the $ they thought they would. There was a gold 66 L72 4spd Caprice that sold for $3,000 less than it sold for at this same auction a year ago. Add that to the sellers fees and expenses and you are talking about a real loss.

If it weren't rise in prices in collector cars, you surely wouldn't have all the reproduction parts to fix the hulks pulled out of ditches and dragged out of fields. It is getting to the point with some cars (lst gen Camaros, Cudas, GTO's etc...) that they are all worth saving.

Comment

Originally posted by milkovich
                            Originally posted by onevoice
                            No matter how much anyone bitches, the fact is that any car is worth as much as someone else will pay for it.
                            Barret Jackson Delusional Syndrome means I have to waste my time finding anyone who is willing to sell their car for "what someone else will pay for it". There are 27 million delusional idiots sitting around thinking their turd is worth more than 5 grand even though it doesn't have floorboards or an engine.
                            I agree that there are some delusional folks selling junk cars for too much. But their delusion is in how much it costs to really do a car right. Factor in bodywork, paint, interior, and drivetrain, not to mention the detailing, travel and fees associated with the auction, and lots of the sellers leave BJ crying the blues. I have talked with a guy that claims he lost several hundred thousand last year on a highly modified custom. If you look closely, you will see plenty of cars cross the block at build cost or less, especially modified vehicles.

The real eye opening money is in the original, unmolested, low mile and rare cars. Those aren't really hot rod material, and aren't usually driveable vehicles in my opinion, more like artwork that sits in the garage instead of hanging on the wall. Rare stuff is what it is, whether it's coins, furniture, paintings, or cars. I have no problem with people trading cars like that, and have seen several in the last couple of nights. Interesting cause I like most any type of vehicles, and some have cool stories, but no I don't need a 84 z28 with 6 miles, or a low mile 79 trans am, not to mention all the hemiZ28L88zl1cobrajetshelby other stuff. I still think it's neat to see on TV though, sure beats 99.9% of the other crap on the tube.

Comment

I thought I had a problem with BJ but the more I think about it, I really don't. Some of the cars on there are really unique or low mile cars that should draw a high dollar. The price of a really well done car is still sold for less than the seller has into it in most cases. I think these monster garage cars are complete junk and have no business on there but it certainly has its place. How about the ass clown that bought that boat/car thing? What are you going to do with that?

Comment

Working...
                              X