Junk Yards getting lame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk Yards getting lame?

It seems to me with the high price of scrap steel and new cars mostly being front drivers that junk yards are getting far less cool. Is it just here in mid michigan or every ware? Does not seem to be much of the eights stuff left.

Re: Junk Yards getting lame?

I've hardly been to a junkyard for the last 10 years....yeah, they're not like they used to be. There are two in the local area, one only does late models, the other has a bunch of old stuff (mostly picked clean) and the owner died a couple years ago and his son thinks everything is made of gold.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by THUNDERBIRD86
      It seems to me with the high price of scrap steel and new cars mostly being front drivers that junk yards are getting far less cool. Is it just here in mid michigan or every ware? Does not seem to be much of the eights stuff left.
      were you located at? there are a couple areoundlansing

Comment

Where in mid-michigan?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
          I've hardly been to a junkyard for the last 10 years....yeah, they're not like they used to be. There are two in the local area, one only does late models, the other has a bunch of old stuff (mostly picked clean) and the owner died a couple years ago and his son thinks everything is made of gold.

Hey Jim, you ever been to Hidden Valley, I think there in Maricopa. They have nothing but really old cars there, just to give you an idea of how big the place is, Camaro's start at row 78.

Here's a link,
          We are a salvage yard located in Maricopa, Arizona. If your looking for good used parts call us first. We ship worldwide. 602-252-2122 e-mail [email protected]

Comment

Don't even get me started on junkyards. >

Comment

I'm pretty fed up with them as well - there was a good one back home not far from where I grew up - they had some good old iron in there - and the last time I went by on a "remember when" trip - I found a "U STORE IT" place on the ground where those glorious chunks of metal used to sit.

When I'm looking for an oem part to replace on my DD - a modern yard is a great thing to have close - and we have a few - I've gotten like new motorcraft batteries for $30 with a one year no questions asked replacement policy - I've also used filtered / reclaimed antifreeze for storing the boat and hotrods - as well as used tires cheap -- great stuff to have access to.

Old car parts? Ebay and swap meets.... I haven't bothered to look for old car stuff in a yard for over a decade.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by min301

Where in mid-michigan?
                This came about from a friend needing second gen fbody parts in Bay City. It seemed like all the local yards we scored that stuff at evan say 6 years ago have nothing. There is one in the area that has stuff but won't sell it.

Comment

Buttholes!!! >

Comment

watch your language, Bill! ;)

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

The Junkyards I go to in So. Cal. have shifted dramatically since I was in highschool. In high school they had a solid number of cars from the mid-70's to mid-80's, which was cool with us since the oldest car we owned was a '74 and the newest an '85. But now going there now they are in the late 80's to late 90's, which minimizes the chance of scoring old engine or trim parts that much harder. It's not bad for picking out stuff for a low budget mild efi build though.
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

There are NO u-pull it here and the prices are just stupid, I wanted a headlight for a 99 Intrepid...One yard quoted me 220....the cost of a brand new one......idiots

Comment

Our local yard gets all kinds of old stuff still. But you can't buy it because their toothless in-house expert always has something to say about it. It's either going to a swap meet, or ebay. The thing is they don't do either one of those things. I love it when they say that "guys that build hot rods know what that stuff is worth." Well, Dumbass, I happen to be one of those guys and you are way wrong!

Even outside the yards, people have it in their heads they can use the scrap metal price as leverage against you. We get this all the time, "Well, If I can't get a grand for it, I'll just junk it, the scrap yards will give me $300 for it."

That makes no sense. I'll give you $600 for it right now, but you would rather junk it and get $300? I just walk away. Let the idiots get their couple hundred bucks, they aren't getting it from me.

Comment

A friend of mine that owns a junkyard here in phoenix just scrapped his yard. Believe it or not he got more money doing that than he would have by selling he parts off of the cars. And put it this way he got enough money from the scrap metal that he was able to restock the whole yard with newer cars with parts that will sell. And just think at one time he had over 150 '65-'73 mustangs sitting in his yard.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                              But you can't buy it because their toothless in-house expert always has something to say about it.
                              Andy, you've gone and done it now. You've angered all the toothless in-house experts on the board.

They're gonne gum your ass to death.

Brian
                              That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                              X