Junk Yards getting lame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Junk Yards getting lame?

Junk yard? What's a junk yard? They've all disappeared here just about in northern NJ.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

The ones here have gone down hill in just the last 2 or 3 years. I can still find parts for my 72 F-100, but the car section of the yard is dry as a bone when it comes to old cars. There is NOTHING older than the mid 80s, and most of the stuff that is there is FWD. :-\

It's going to get harder and harder to find core engines (especially V-8s), core transmissions, rear ends, disc brake swap parts, etc. if the yards become nothing but FWD.

Luckily, the truck section is packed with late 70s pickups, ripe for the harvesting of V-8 cores! But, for how long? :o

Nick,
      Has a 460 core that he needs to tear down... :-X

Comment

that picture should be removed by the moderators - it's more violating than anything on the "girls with cars" thread - that's for sure.

I'd like to de-nut every sonofabitch involved in that transaction so they will not be able to further polute the gene pool.
        There's always something new to learn.

Comment

I found a Catalina in a yard that they were going to demo derby. The car was much to nice to do that to it. It had a 42k mile 400 with a TH400 in it. Ran nice. I talked to the guy who was going to run it, he said I could have the motor/trans, he was going to put a SBC in it. Sweet!

He ended up letting some other guy have it. He's going to demo it too. I asked about getting the motor and he said "No, I ain't quitin' till the rods are singin" I told him I'd like to get the stuff anyway. Chances are, he'll get knocked out early and not hurt the motor.

Comment

I got a 83 ta last week went to the local junk yard.I was told we crushed 14 last week, the 2 that were left did not have the spoiler front or rear. Did get a flat hood and pedals for manul trans.
            I think I will just by as many 3rd gen as I can.

Comment

Originally posted by 555impwagon
              we get alot of old cars where i work but most never even hit the ground.thet are stacked almost instantly.its really sad.i think most salvage yard owners think everybody is making huge money on these older car parts.for example if they tell you i want 100.00 for a certain part and you say ok then they think they sold it to cheap.but thats just my opinion.i have been working at the same place for about 5 years and try to buy parts but most everything gets crushed or they just way to much money for the parts.i have seen hundreds of older cars get crushed and never given a chance to sell parts off of em.sadly i have hundreds of pictures of cars that came into the yard i work at.this is just one of em

Just unbelievable, That is a terrible way to start the day. That caddy would sell for good money in the condition it is in.

Comment

That just hurts my eyes.
                I R Bob
                You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by olbuddybob
                  Originally posted by 555impwagon
                  we get alot of old cars where i work but most never even hit the ground.thet are stacked almost instantly.its really sad.i think most salvage yard owners think everybody is making huge money on these older car parts.for example if they tell you i want 100.00 for a certain part and you say ok then they think they sold it to cheap.but thats just my opinion.i have been working at the same place for about 5 years and try to buy parts but most everything gets crushed or they just way to much money for the parts.i have seen hundreds of older cars get crushed and never given a chance to sell parts off of em.sadly i have hundreds of pictures of cars that came into the yard i work at.this is just one of em

I think I am going to be sick >
                  Just unbelievable, That is a terrible way to start the day. That caddy would sell for good money in the condition it is in.
                  Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

Same around here. There's one yard that has some slightly old stuff, like late '80s Chevy vans with 250 sixes, and a Maseratti Bi-Turbo, but no really old stuff. There HAS to be some old farmer's back lot somewhere, but no luck finding it so far. When we were out West over the last couple of weeks, there were a bunch of yards that the crusher hadn't found yet, but no time to stop.

Dan

Comment

Working...
                    X