That car in the yard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: That car in the yard

I bugged a guy for about 2 years about a lime green charger in his side yard for years, it was a rust bucket from hell but I started off at $1000 and even showed him 5 grand one time and he wouldn't sale it. It was a bbc with a six pack and hurst four speed. The car disappeared a couple weeks later, not sure what happened to it.

Comment

Originally posted by 67prostreet
      Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      that is because you never offer enough money
      I used to have a nice collection in the driveway , people used to stop
      i had 2 camaros that were running , registered and in primer , fast cars , one a big block 396 the other a 400 sb . nobody ever offered money
      they wanted them for free ....free , I had like 2 grand in those 2 cars
      I did. Offered him $2000.

I understand that Spidey. Most people who offer to buy my cars come up with amounts that are more insults than offers.

I once knew of a neighbor 66 Malibu coupe that was sitting in this guys side yard. Like most places; Omaha is very hard on a car without cover. It was rotting away. He told me twice that he'd planned on restoring it some day. The second time he told me that I dragged him out to the car and told him to look at it. After he glanced at the car I told him that the car had been there as long as I can remember; if he didn't start on that planned restoration soon; there wouldn't be anything left except brown spot on the ground where it once was.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I think I've told this story before, but it fits here. In 1981 when I was just a punk I was at a buddies house and asked him what was up with the Road Runner up the street with the flat tires-he said he never paid any attention to it because it wasn't an E-body. I walked up there and looked it over real quick-68 hardtop with a four speed, chrome road wheels, 383 badges, looked bone stock, rusty but complete,80K on the clock. I knocked on the door and asked if it was for sale and he says yes, he'd sell it-$200! "Does it run?" "It did when I parked it but the last time I tried it wouldn't start" I figured the parts were worth more than that, and I had $200 in my pocket. I gave him the money and he signed over the title to me on the spot. I went back to the car to see what I had just bought-opened the hood and it was all there and all stock right down to the pie plate on the air cleaner. Opened the glove box and huge stack of credit card gas receipts fell out-going all the way back to '72-and a book with all the maintainence and every fill up with the gas mileage recorded back to day one. The owners manual packet was there with the window sticker and all the original paperwork from the dealership (traded in a 57 Chevy). At the bottom of the window sticker there was a line that said "customer drive June 19th" and no delivery charge. I had to go back to the door and get the story from him. It was his college graduation present. He ordered it from the local dealership in Washington state, traded in his '57, and flew to Detroit to pick it up at the Hammtrack plant. When he got to the plant it was still being built so Chrysler corp bought him lunch and when he got back it was done. He got in it and drove home to PA, and drove it every day for the next 10 years. He had put a Sun super tach in it when it was new and that was the only thing he ever did to it, and even though it had over $500 worth of options on it he didn't order it with a sure-grip. We aired the tires up, put a good battery in it, dribbled some gas in the carb, and it fired right up-drove it home. Put points, plugs, and wires on it and it ran 14.80's @ 98mph first time out. It was my everyday car for years, drove it back and forth to college, street raced it, road tripped it, lost my innocence in it, and had more fun in it than any car I've owned since. As I sit here typing this I can hear it, smell it, and feel it. It was a magical car, and I was a hero in it. If I hadn't gone up and knocked on that door I would be a different person today, and would have missed out on so much that made me richer for the experience. I will never be that lucky again-but I will never hesitate to try.

Comment

Nice story 8).

Here in my part of norwy,there are several cars resting and not for sale.One of them are a 60 Impala Convertible that has been outside on a field for the last 20 years.not for sale,and the owner has been offered more money for it than its worth...not for sale.

Another is a Olds 442 convertible 455 4 speed that are inside at least.not for sale

Comment

This was my first "car in the yard" experience. This '64 Falcon Sprint was a very nice car in '87. My Dad bought it for me and when we went to pick it up, the guy had changed his mind and gave us the money back. It's still there to this day, in Woodbury NJ. I took this picture about 5 years ago. He also had a '67 Mustang Coupe GTA S code 390, red w/ red interior. That's not there anymore.
            What a waste :'(

Comment

VTJUNK.....

I have been looking for a '64-'65 Falcon for a while now..... that pic kills me!!!

Ax

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt Rod
                VTJUNK.....

I have been looking for a '64-'65 Falcon for a while now..... that pic kills me!!!

Ax
                I don't know where you are, but you could go look it over and maybe, just maybe, he'll sell it to you. You never know. It's a late build '64 with a 289 (yes original 289, they ran short of 260 engines at the end of 64 production) 4 speed, bench seat car. It's still pretty solid.
                My cousin just sold a really nice '64 Futura V-8 hardtop for $7k. New paint, interior, suspension, motor, trans, rearend, bumpers. $7k was too cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by VTJUNK
                  Originally posted by Dirt Rod
                  VTJUNK.....

Ax
                  I don't know where you are, but you could go look it over and maybe, just maybe, he'll sell it to you. You never know. It's a late build '64 with a 289 (yes original 289, they ran short of 260 engines at the end of 64 production) 4 speed, bench seat car. It's still pretty solid.
                  My cousin just sold a really nice '64 Futura V-8 hardtop for $7k. New paint, interior, suspension, motor, trans, rearend, bumpers. $7k was too cheap.
                  DANGIT!!!!! I have been looking for one for some time now.... My uncle-in-law has a '65 Futura hardtop 289 auto bench car that is 100% original, perfect driver... that he snaked off Craigslist for 3K.

And he won't sell it to me even for a proffit. I have been begging him for 2 months.

Ax

Comment

I got a car in yard story...actually in driveway...guy lived around the corner from my then girlfriend..now wife for 23 years...I asked her about the black '67 Corvette several times and she said the guy was not selling it because she knew people who had asked...but I couldn't resist asking...so one day I went and knocked on the door...a kind of respectable looking older man came to the door and blurted out "Its not for sale"...I said why...I mean its such an amazing car to be sitting on flat tires...he proceeeded to tell me the story of the car...he said he bought it brand new in spring of 1966...and he loved it and hadn't driven it since 1968!!!...He said he went shopping in it to grab a few quick items and when he came out THAT had happened...he pointed to a big crack in the fiberglass right in the middle of the door...nobody was around and he was furious so he drove the car home, parked it in the driveway and it hadn't moved since...I knew enough about Corvettes to know that "Special" hood was hiding the 427 underneath it...I asked if I could just have a look under the hood...it was a sad sight...hoses dry rotted off the engine...rusted air cleaner and valve covers...I asked him why he would not have gotten it fixed way back then and he said it just would have happened again...I was dumbfounded...1967 427 4-speed Corvette, black on black...rotting away a little at a time...I was by that place a few years ago and the car was gone along with all the other crap he had around it so I don't know if he passed away or finally succombed to the 100's of requests and sold it

Comment

Working...
                    X