Ford 427 SOHC, New, never fired

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford 427 SOHC, New, never fired

They are out there. Every once in a while one turns up that is new. Just one of the wildest "crate" motors ever. They sound incredible too.

Re: Ford 427 SOHC, New, never fired

I still remember the sound of the one in John Vermeersch's Starliner when he pulled in at the SAAC convention at Dearborn about 20 years ago ... WOW!! First time that I had heard and seen one in person. I couldn't believe the way the engine filled the bay of such a large car.

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

I saw that at Carlisle this year at the Ford Nationals. I was going to post the pictures with a header saying get me a battery and a gallon of gas.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Yeah, Mike's got the cash to buy stuff that isn't even for sale. Check his website, that green '60 Galaxie wagon was at All Ford Carlisle too.

Comment

I have a model of this engine sitting on my desk at home.... if only i could have the real thing. Think it'll fit in my jeep?

Comment

Given a chance, it would have been great.

It likely would have dominated in NASCAR, but we'll never know...

Comment

Was watching My Classic Car a few years ago and they had a white 67/68 Shelby Fastback on the track with one of those in it. The sweetest sounding engine I ever heard 8)
              "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by Woodward_Dreams
                I have a model of this engine sitting on my desk at home....

me too

Comment

I don't get it....It isn't cool to me if it isn't doing what it was built to do....

Put it in a car....Hell....Put in on an engine stand so that it can run and be heard...

That is like owning the Hottest woman on earth....and keeping her in a glass box...Never touching her.

Stupid...Just Stupid....Pisses me off...and I am in a good mood.

Seth
                  200 mph or bust.......

Comment

It's a massive waste.

Comment

I'm gonna disagree with you....then again, I've seen and heard a few.

That thing should be at the entry way of the ford powertrain engineering department and everyone should be forced to touch it on the way in.

They got that motor together in 90 f'n days. Granted most of it is FE stuff but there was a LOT of stuff to do in 90 days to get a running motor. That's inspriational right there.

Ohio George Montgomery ran a few of those motors, he even had an BB/FC with a blown alky version in it which a guy up this way used to own...and he drove it. Glorious sounds indeed.

Sneaky Pete Robinson and Connie Kalitta amongst others ran them in fuel dragsters.

The waste would be a guy with a ton of money over revving the thing on the race track and blowing the side of the block out. There aren't many left and at least ONE should be preserved as a monument in my opinion.

Brian
                      That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

But wouldn't it be a better as a Running monument....That everyone could hear....

I agree on the Ford Powertrain Placement....

Seth
                        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

they had a hard time staying together on pop
                          neat motor
                          what do you think it is worth ?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
                            I'm gonna disagree with you....then again, I've seen and heard a few.

That thing should be at the entry way of the ford powertrain engineering department and everyone should be forced to touch it on the way in.

They got that motor together in 90 f'n days. Granted most of it is FE stuff but there was a LOT of stuff to do in 90 days to get a running motor. That's inspriational right there.

Ohio George Montgomery ran a few of those motors, he even had an BB/FC with a blown alky version in it which a guy up this way used to own...and he drove it. Glorious sounds indeed.

Sneaky Pete Robinson and Connie Kalitta amongst others ran them in fuel dragsters.

The waste would be a guy with a ton of money over revving the thing on the race track and blowing the side of the block out. There aren't many left and at least ONE should be preserved as a monument in my opinion.

Brian

I've been in the vacinity of a few in my days.

Comment

If I was the guy with a but load of money I would take one and have my own blocks cast, pay to have all of the parts made and blow them up at will. All the while keeping my original intact.

Comment

Working...
                              X