My Top 10 list of things to do before I die!!! Car Junkie style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Top 10 list of things to do before I die!!! Car Junkie style

Some things I’ve been fortunate enough to do, and a few left to do before I die….

Done

Driven and set a record at the Bonneville Salt Flats entering & helping 10 others enter the 200 mph club

Professional engine builder in the SCCA Trans-Am & IMSA road race series

Have engines that qualified for the Indy 500

Developed a successful performance aftermarket aluminum engine package

Involved in the “Predator” unmanned air vehicle program, I can’t say any more or I’d have to kill you....

Started my own engine building shop & I'm lucky enough to have an engine dyno too!

Worked for some terrific characters in the last 35 years like Carroll Shelby, Gale Banks, & Kay Sissell.

To Do

Join the dirty 2 club

Fly “IN” a jet fighter

Drive a F-1 car

Help a ’29 roadster go 300 mph

Help a lakester go 400 mph

Help a ‘liner go 500 mph

Watch my kids succeed in life

Hey, we all gota dream…..
    There are very few people in this world who's opinion I value, you are not one of them.

300 in 1999

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
      I'm not a fan of G-force cars... I don't care for the rubber band tire look on anything... But those are my thoughts... you get to pick your thoughts and idea's...

No matter what I'll still enjoy your car if it's done well... it might not be how " I'd " do it... but quality work is just that... and extends well past what the car is....

Yeah that sounded like I was a concours geek... sorry bout that... I'M NOT... trust me... cutting up cars is what I do mostly... I already know how they do stock... we've got a bazillion test reports in Motor trend on that crap....

K

OK thats cool...I like the drag look also...I like everything!!! But twistys are my fav. This is as rubber band as I would EVER alow myself to go.

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
        Originally posted by KJZ28
        put 25k into an old musclecar and you have something that will be as good as a Z06 or better.
        I'd love to agree, but I can't.

Ive seen it done....I never said the car had to be road legal when it was done. I know a couple people who make everything for their cars...from control arms to pistons, from fenders to full rear suspensions. You start with a $200 car..you can do it for 25k

Comment

Let me see if I can explain my position even better....

that Corvette... it looks right with that wheel and tire combination... mostly because it was designed with that in mind...

I can't remember what your building ... but a 71 Camaro for example.. was designed with 15" wheels and tires that match... Somehow I can't bring my mind around to accepting anything other then a combination that's still in that ball park.... I don't mean stock size... but the wheel's need to be closer to that then a late model all out Road Racing package would have...

Big Red totally rocks...what size are those tires and wheels?

Comment

1. Travel the world. Let's see...got Ireland, Germany, Canada, Mexico, Kuwait, and Iraq out of the way. Planning on going back to Ireland next year on my own accord, and I want to go to Australia for a couple weeks at least.

2. Find the wife who cooks, cleans, can raise kids and still be hot and kinky-oh wait, did that. ;D Lucky me.

3. Get that dream house in Colorado Springs or Tarryall, CO and live out my days in a sage-scented heaven.

4. Nurburgring, Laguna Seca and the Nevada Silver State Classic.

5. Somehow manage to have successful, intelligent kids who can stand on their own two feet and still be respectful members of society.

6. Mile high club. And I don't mean a stopover in Denver.

7. PILOT. No question.

8. Have enough money to where I don't have to worry about all the trivial things in life. I don't want my family to know what it's like living in a Monte Carlo for weeks on end.

9. Spend a night: under an aurora, in the mountains, by the sea, in the open where I can have my small fire and peaceful time to practice.

10. Live somewhere past my forties. Here's hoping.
            Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

Not in any order except the first two. Get the TA up to 140 to spite the father in law and have vidio proof. 2.Build another 4x4 and drive form Indy to the northern most point that can be driven to.Forgot the name and can't find the atlas but, it's at the end of the alaskian pipe line highway.3 almost got this one done at the end of power tour '05 but a tropial storm dashed those plans,drive to the southern most point in the USA Key West . 3.Get concrete and electricity in my 26x36 pole barn that falling off while roofing it,braking my heel landing on a steel car trailer(see DF's in car junkie projects )and theT-bone accident that my two daughter survived( in a Sunbird convertable) thanks to life line helecopter wonderful fire men ,Methodist hospital (same as Indy raccers)and the grace of God Has set me back on.Not bitter ,lifes an adventure and I'm enjoying it,I just have to be patient! This is plenty for now I'llpass the mike

Comment

Originally posted by KeithTurk
                Let me see if I can explain my position even better....

that Corvette... it looks right with that wheel and tire combination... mostly because it was designed with that in mind...

I can't remember what your building ... but a 71 Camaro for example.. was designed with 15" wheels and tires that match... Somehow I can't bring my mind around to accepting anything other then a combination that's still in that ball park.... I don't mean stock size... but the wheel's need to be closer to that then a late model all out Road Racing package would have...

Big Red totally rocks...what size are those tires and wheels?
                http://www.bigredcamaro.com/newsite/mainpage.html Here are some pics of Big red. As I said the corvette is the thinest I would go for tire wall. Big Red does not have the largest walls either. But I love it. If I could have those wheels I would they are just too much $$$$$$

I am building a 1978 Z28...Iwish I could have afford a 71 camaro.

Comment

Rob Kinnan's article in Hot Rod about Big Red(May 2005) is one of my favorite articles of all time. I still has that issue that I bought at the store. Then oddly enough literally a month later I learned of an internship in Ely and a week or so before I realized it was the same Ely. Moved here in June of '05and have been a course volunteer three times with dreams of running the Silver State Challenge in my Skylark someday. Guess you could say its on my list of things to do before I die.

Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

kjz28 JUST change out the fenders and nose and your 3/4 the way there,only with a back window you can see out of.

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierGTA
                      kjz28 JUST change out the fenders and nose and your 3/4 the way there,only with a back window you can see out of.
                      yeah but I like the old window because it gives the car a different look. I wont ever do that change...Ive contemplated it many times though.

Comment

Did the Atuobahn in a Porsche 212 MPH
                        Did the Nuremburg Ring, Same Car.
                        Drove a Pro Stock in the 80's.
                        Drove the Monster Mile in a KIA (LOL).
                        Did Hwy 10 from Jacksonville Fla- Santa Monica, 40 hrs. TX in 14 hrs.

My new list:
                        1. My wifes Cancer NEVER comes Back.
                        2 Go 200 at Maxton.
                        3. Start to make a Living off of my artwork.
                        4. Finish the Streamliner for Bonneville.
                        5. Live to 115 so I can see the Tricentennial
                        6. Win Best in Show at a Model Car Show. (Did the local thing)
                        7. Have a perfect Garage to Build and Paint Cars in.
                        8. Pan for Gold and Find more than I did the first time.
                        9. Get the 67 Chevy II Nova back.
                        10. Buy my first Vette for CASH.

Comment

For even more ideas, go see "THE BUCKET LIST", playing now.

Movie about a Kazillionaire hooking-up w/a mechanic for an "anything-goes" blast!!

Starring Jack Nicholson & Morgan Freeman. ---------------

Comment

Went looking for this one... thought it might be interesting now with all the folks...

Keith

Comment

Here's whats left on mine

Set a record at Maxton and Bonneville
                              Run the Pikes Peak hill Climb
                              Drive the Almafi Coast in a convertible (on my wife's list so it had better be mine if I want to make it to 50)
                              Put my other 2 kids through college.
                              Have enough money at 60 to do whatever the heck I want to do for the rest of my life (getting there)

NEVER have another stroke.

Comment

In no particular order:
                                earn a 200mph patch at Bonneville
                                build a car to race in Targa Newfoundland
                                Build a '54 Buick to race La Carrera Pan Americana
                                Thru-Hike the Appalachian Trail
                                Drive Boy Wonder to school in a 10-second gasser
                                Run with the bulls in Spain
                                Run in the Baja 1000
                                Run 1 Lap Of America
                                Improve my building skills and get enough shop equipment that I can build all those race cars myself
                                Keep giving my son enough great memories that he'll never run out of things to tell his friends and kids about.

-Brad

Comment

Working...
                                X