• Show
Clear All

Re: List of US tool manufacturers

big dollar snap on in made in usa ...hooray

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderGearsMan
      big dollar snap on in made in usa ...hooray
      Wet Blankets by Spidey, made in the USA and they're free.
      "Somewhere the zebra is dancing". Garth Stein's The art of racing in the rain.

Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Freiburger
        It's a different company.
        Whoops! Yes they are... :-X

Comment

Originally posted by bnjny

Whoops! Yes they are... :-X

Yup. But you are correct in saying that the newer offshore Milwaukee power tools are junk. Recently purchased a cordless screwgun because I had such good luck with my Milwaukee stuff at home for so many years.

What a hopeless piece of crap. Of course I didn't notice the "Made in China" label until I got it home, because they put the label only on the tool itself, but nowhere on the packaging. The 3/8" drill we just bought at the shop is much the same junk.

I own Milwaukee power tools going back to 1991, including a Supersawzall, 3/8" & 1/2" holeshooters and a grinder - heavy use has resulted in only the replacement of brushes in a couple of them. And now they go F up the products by getting them made in China.

Comment

i dont know where people get the idea snap on makes good wrenches. in my experiance they are JUNK! they slip right off whatever you are trying to take loose! of course where i work, everything seems to be tight enough to test the tool's tensile strength! try this, stick a snap on wrench on a bolt head, double it up with another wrench, and see how much bending it does before it THOINK, comes loose on you or slips over the bolt head, rounding it off to boot! personally i like taking loose starter bolts on something like a 3406e cat. ive heard head bolts are fun and games on them too, but i dont usually have to take that kind of thing loose.

try it with a snap on wrench, and then try it with a real wrench, like a craftsman. no bending, nothing. screw putting another wrench on it, just go straight to a cheater pipe. the bolt comes loose! usually this particular job annihilates every 16 mil or 5/8 twelve point socket in the shop as well, the snap on sockets, even the impactable ones arent better then the china ones. oh and the best part? the chromey china POS popular mechanics socket outlived half a dozen of the tool truck specials, it changed dozens of starters! .. hell, it finally got lost when i loaned it to a guy on the next shift.

.its ok, ive stolen one back from him to make up for it, and a couple other wrenches for good measure..

Comment

Originally posted by hamrmech
              i dont know where people get the idea snap on makes good wrenches. in my experiance they are JUNK! they slip right off whatever you are trying to take loose! of course where i work, everything seems to be tight enough to test the tool's tensile strength! try this, stick a snap on wrench on a bolt head, double it up with another wrench, and see how much bending it does before it THOINK, comes loose on you or slips over the bolt head, rounding it off to boot! personally i like taking loose starter bolts on something like a 3406e cat. ive heard head bolts are fun and games on them too, but i dont usually have to take that kind of thing loose.

try it with a snap on wrench, and then try it with a real wrench, like a craftsman. no bending, nothing. screw putting another wrench on it, just go straight to a cheater pipe. the bolt comes loose! usually this particular job annihilates every 16 mil or 5/8 twelve point socket in the shop as well, the snap on sockets, even the impactable ones arent better then the china ones. oh and the best part? the chromey china POS popular mechanics socket outlived half a dozen of the tool truck specials, it changed dozens of starters! .. hell, it finally got lost when i loaned it to a guy on the next shift.

.its ok, ive stolen one back from him to make up for it, and a couple other wrenches for good measure..

Haha, my Dad got tired of snaping and breaking Snap On tools, so he started buying NAPA brand much to his boss's laughter, but you know the NAPA ones in his experience are way more durable. I just got craftsman's and junk because I don't regularly work on things enough to wear them out.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I too have broken many Snap-On wrenches...They are doomed if you double up.....

On another note....I once saw my 1st class PO in the Navy Quadruple up wrenches....God I wish I had a picture of that....Or video....It did not end well....The bolt came loose.....so did the wrenches.

Seth
                200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Working...
                X