Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Your most usefull tool

Originally posted by HEMI
    For doing mechanical work.I bought an angle grinder from HF 6 months ago,and it's become more versitile than almost anything I have.
    Well I didn't buy it at HF, but I have a tool that my girlfriend finds VERY useful.. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 1FastMopar
      Originally posted by HEMI
      For doing mechanical work.I bought an angle grinder from HF 6 months ago,and it's become more versitile than almost anything I have.
      Well I didn't buy it at HF, but I have a tool that my girlfriend finds VERY useful.. ;D
      How many D batterys does it take!!LOL

I don't have a fovorite tool. I love them all the same.
      Cognizant Dissident

Comment

My Craftsman ratcheting wrenches are what I use the most these days.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Box brake and stomp shear.

Comment

cherry picker. Sure saves a lot of back aches along with pulling motors.
            antique atlas lathe.
            mig welder

Comment

No doubt the most used and most important is my 4 post lift. After 3 spinal sugeries I can't hardly get under a car anymore, I even put a car on the lift to check tires. Easier to bring the work up than get me down!

Comment

Originally posted by biginch
                i like emm smoke wrench ummmm hummmm! french fried taters too ummm hummm........
                Carl? Is that you? :D

Useful tool..... let's see.

1. Sawzall - giant leap from the hacksaw I used to use.
                2. Welder - for undoing stuff caused by #1
                3. Plasma cutter - it's a new toy and I find myself using it more and more especially for thinner metal that would be too thick for hand shears and would be a pain for a sawzall.

Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

ingersoll rand 2135 1/2 inch impact - five+ years of abuse and it still tears things up, brass fittings? rusty bolts? u bolts? its got em covered...

vise grips are good for lots and lots of things, they are the most versatile tools ever. of course i cant keep a pair, they wander off all the time..

Comment

I like my heat wrench, it is very useful for clearance issues.....on anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ksj1
                      You too.I "borrowed" a pair of pliers from my dad 25 years ago.Awhile back we were stringing some fence and I handed him my(his) pliers.He complemented me about what a nice set of pliers.I told him to take them home and he said no they were mine.I asked him if he had a pair of pliers like that before and he thought he had 20 some years ago. ;D I gave them to him that next year for Christmas!!! ;D
                      Threadjack over
                      Carry on
                      I'm expecting one of those Black n Decker automatic Mexican speed wrenches in my stocking next Tuesday. Anybody, used one yet?
                      temp threadjack, pardoneme

Comment

The tool of the kings, after using one of these you will never know how did without it. I use it as a speed wrench by flexing it up and spinning the head, and its amazing how can get into tight spots so much easier. I have had this one since 1999, and never a problem with any Snap-On stuff. I have put the monkey to this thing too, its 3/8", but its seen 1/2" drive territory many times. It is also geared perfectly so the minimum of movement catches the pawl. I have a full set of 6pts in 3/8", and a 1/4" set flex head thats geared for really tight spots. The sockets for both are of the best quality of any I have ever used. I would recommend it to anyone who does much wrenching. Once you use this thing a few times all your other ratchets will feel like a club. Picture courtesy of the Snap-On Catalog.

Comment

I ALMOST agree with you, Bill. Mine has the straight handle. I bought it in about 1970 or so. The Snap-On guy has put a couple of sets of guts in it (free, of course), but other than that, it's just THERE when I need it, which is often. I've abused mine unmercifully, too.

Later
                          Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                            I ALMOST agree with you, Bill. Mine has the straight handle. I bought it in about 1970 or so. The Snap-On guy has put a couple of sets of guts in it (free, of course), but other than that, it's just THERE when I need it, which is often. I've abused mine unmercifully, too.

Later
                            Dan
                            The reason I like mine so well is that it matches my forearm and wrist power better than a straight handle. I have a tendency to snap off bolts because if I get my arm and shoulder into it I can't feel the stretch as well. Getting the flex head just right and just using my hand and flexing my forearm I can pull down 40-50 ft lbs on a 3/8" bolt and feel the bolt stretch. Valve cover, 5/16" clutch bolts and oil pan bolts, I just take that 1/4" flex in the palm of my hand and flex my ring and little finger and they tighten up just right. I don't really have to get my arm or shoulder into it at all even with the 3/8" drive until it is a 65-70 lbs ft 7/16" bolt. It really what you get used to I guess, I love the bend and flex on mine. The speed wrench ability is really cool, with that bend and flex you can whip a front off a motor in the time it takes to get air ratchet set up.

Comment

OK, My lift is #1 for all the most common reasons...

That is followed by my set of ratcheting wrenches by Armstrong Tools! Them babies are awsome! much like the ratchet above, they are tuned perfect so you don't need to turn the wrench very far at all to catch... Just a couple of weeks ago I pulled the engine out of the Z and I think I used my 1/2,9/16 & 5/8 for 90% of the whole project...

Comment

I agree, I am finding I'm using the gear ratchets more and more. They are convenient.
                                Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Working...
                                X