People who think they know cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People who think they know cars

I was at the Adirondack Nationals today, and I was admiring a '68' dodge dart 426 hemi powered drag car. The hood was off and there was a bunch of people standing around admiring the car, checking out all of the old class winner stickers, and then Andy(vtjunk)says some guy was explaining to another guy that " You see that intake that's a crossram just like the ones that came stock on 68 chevelles". I was like some people shouldn't explain out loud if they don't know what they are saying.
    Original Carjunkie TV Member

Re: People who think they know cars

And I hear he's runnin' titanium muffler bearings. If I was the other guys, I'd protest right here and now!

Dan

Comment

Ah, there are so many...like the clown that told his wife my car was a Fairlane at a local crusie some weeks back....Some peoples kids....

Comment

Ya this year during the Dream Cruise i heard a lot of BS.

An audi R8 was passing by and some guy next to me was like "that audi is worth $500,000" when in fact it starts at $113,000. Ya its still a ton of money, but he was almost $400,000 off.

Comment

I used to go to alot of shows, not so much anymore. It was getting so bad I thought I was going to have to start bringing a shovel with me, you know...to deal with all the BS. I usually just keep quiet and let them make an ass of themselves. The only time I'll "Pipe up" is when they start telling me stuff about my own car! I had one guy swear up and down that '71 Montego's had a full frame, "No they don't, they're a unibody, '72 was the first year for a full frame" I told him. Then he tried to tell me that the Cyclone and the Montego were totally different cars, I finally walked away.
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

i just let people go on and smile while they do it. you cant call them on their bullshit, all they have is.. MORE bullshit!
            today i was under the hood of my car and the service writer is telling me how my 3310 holley is junk. i started to go off on him, maybe educate him on the history of this fine piece of machinery, but i decided against it. its not worth the effort.

personally, i figure any carb you can get to do what you want it to is the ideal carb for you, whether its a quadrajunk or a (angels singing in chorus) holley carb, or some other, inferior carb..

Comment

Originally posted by hamrmech
              or a (angels singing in chorus) holley carb,
              lolol, too funny :-)
              "Life's tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." - John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by hamrmech
                i just let people go on and smile while they do it. you cant call them on their bullshit, all they have is.. MORE bullshit!
                today i was under the hood of my car and the service writer is telling me how my 3310 holley is junk. i started to go off on him, maybe educate him on the history of this fine piece of machinery, but i decided against it. its not worth the effort.

personally, i figure any carb you can get to do what you want it to is the ideal carb for you, whether its a quadrajunk or a (angels singing in chorus) holley carb, or some other, inferior carb..
                You know what I tell our service writers when they tell me how to work on cars is " A service writer is nothing more than a want to be mechanic" they get mad and walk away.
                Original Carjunkie TV Member

Comment

Guy at redlight-- "Is that a 68?"

Me-- "No, its a 67."

Guy at redlight--"I used to have one just like that, but it was a 72!"
                  The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

As soon as I read the Thread title I started laughing.....That happens all the time.

I had someone swear to me the other day that his Mom had a 62' Chevelle with a 454 special ordered...I just said "Wow what does a 62 look like?"

I just laugh and walk away....

Seth
                    200 mph or bust.......

Comment

Originally posted by dagenesta
                      Guy at redlight-- "Is that a 68?"

Me-- "No, its a 67."

Guy at redlight--"I used to have one just like that, but it was a 72!"
                      I get things like that all the time with my Thunderbird. It was just like that, only mine was a '65,'66,'74, etc. And the number of people I've argued with when I worked at Autozone is mind boggling, particularly when they think the world revolves around Chevy and there couldn't possibly be another General Motor's engine in their Pontiac, Buick, or Oldsmobile. Or the guys with the late 70's stuff that actually had different engine makes under the hood but would argue with a stop sign that the 6.6L under the hood of their '79 Trans Am was a Pontiac 400. One guy wanted parts for a Vortec engine (no car or year..), 'I asked which vortec engine' (because I don't need a car or year..) and I instantly became the idiot when the guy says there is only one vortec engine, the 4.3 v-6! So you guys better stop putting V-6 heads on your V-8's :P
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I've learned over time that most people don't have a clue when it comes to cars. A lot of times I'll start talking cars with someone and I know pretty much with in the first minute if I need to dumb down the conversation so that I don't lose the guy.

And then there's the guy that thinks he knows everything, but actually doesn't know crap. I usually get the "well dude, I'm not that far into it". And then there's the guys that won't emit that they are wrong, like this one guy that was trying to tell me that a wide LSA will keep the valves closed longer compared to a short LSA. I told him if all specs are the same except for the LSA value, that the shorter LSA will keep the valves closed longer, not shorter, and even after drawing it out for him, he still insisted that I was wrong. :

Comment

we like to educate , memories get shorter , these cars are getting to be 40 years old

Comment

I've had a couple people tell me that they used to have a truck just like my 59 Chevy extended cab (that I built into an extended cab).

I don't worry about it, and I say "thanks" when someone says they like my ride.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Wait until you have an orphan car of some type...then the BS really gets flowing. I don't know how many times people have tried to argue with me about the engine in my Pickup. Because it has 289 Cubic Inches they figure it has to be a Ford engine. Usually I simply say where is a Ford distributor? Even that didn't stop one guy. He was a mechanic at a local gas station. When I asked my end-the-arguement question he simply said, "Big block Fords are different and that's what you got!"

But then watcha gonna do?

Comment

Working...
                              X