Any Carjunkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Carjunkies

Any Carjunkies care about the big particle collider at CERN? Someone has got to at least be interested 17 miles of tunnel to construct this thing I for one am in awe.

Re: Any Carjunkies

Moving anything around 17 miles a 11,000 times per second puts me in awe too! I figure no matter what something cool should come from it. Rather something as mundane as lots of proton parts or deadly like a mini black hole that swallows France first, what ever happens I think it'll be interesting and probably cool.

I was just talking with another geologist at work today about this thing, figuring if an Earth eating black hole forms (highly highly unlikely for those that aren't following it) at least it'll be cool to see the end of the world in my life time =D Which reminds me, it might motivate me to get my Skylark running in a hurry so I can get at least one good drive in ;)
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

99.99999% the speed of light....thats bad ass...waiting to see if we get sucked into the black holes or if we learn nothing

Comment

It is very cool....Did any of you read the book "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown....

They talked a lot about CERN and where it started...They also got into the particle collider....Awesome Book.

It definitely sparks my interest...

I am pretty damn sure it will not swallow the earth....Make a big boom....Probably.

Seth
        200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I saw a show on the Supercollider, History Channel I think, Cool stuff!
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

I had fun reading about the folks who are worried about it causing the end of the world....

neat picture posted on a robot forum...notice the resemblence?

(not that I play video games)
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

It's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine...

Pfft. Like 1984, Y2k and all the other happy crap I hear about the world ending, I care not. It'll happen when it happens and not anytime sooner.
              Editor-at-Large at...well, here, of course!

"Remy-Z, you've outdone yourself again, I thought a Mirada was the icing on the cake of rodding, but this Imperial is the spread of little 99-cent candy letters spelling out "EAT ME" on top of that cake."

Comment

all that time wasted working when in just a few days we are all getting sucked up into black holes......

Comment

Let's see they want to recreate the big bang.

But if I remember right, the big bang was really really really big.

Comment

Look, call me up when the mother freakin' zombies pop up, ok?
                    I say let's strap a few politicians to a magnetic surf board and which ever one managed to hang on at 11k/hour gets to be in office.

It's funny, people freaking out how we could all go BOOM...yet we have um HELLO countries on the other side of this planet that would like to see us blown clean off the map.

Andrew
                    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

I saw the show on Nat Geo ( I think it was NatGeo)

Originally posted by squirrel
                      I had fun reading about the folks who are worried about it causing the end of the world....

neat picture posted on a robot forum...notice the resemblence?

(not that I play video games)
                      That's some funny sh*t!

It probably would have happened by now, what with production delays and all, I'm just sayin'!

Cool tech though, did you catch the part about what would happen if they had a "quench". Bad news!

Comment

They built pne like that in Newport News VA. and we are still here. CEBAF Central Electron Beam Acellerator Facillity. They have had a few hits already.

Comment

I've been pretty interested in this. Trying to answer some of the fundamental questions of what puts the universe together and all of that stuff. I'm not too scared of the proton-sized black holes (or however small they are), though being splattered onto an event horizon would be a cool way to go.

Comment

Speak for yourself...

Comment

Originally posted by fahrenschnell
                              It is very cool....Did any of you read the book "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown....

They talked a lot about CERN and where it started...They also got into the particle collider....Awesome Book.
                              Based on reality, but still fiction.

This project, while captivating, is off-base in its objectives (in my opinion). Science is not capable of reaching a firm conclusion on life's biggest questions. When the LHC become fully operational, be prepared for a lot of scientists to not have many more answers than they had before.

The machine itself is quite a feat. The engineering and man-power that have gone into this thing is incredible.

The whole black hole thing is just ridiculous. Another invention by the media to drum up some drama.
                              The official Bangshift garage door guru. Just about anything can be built using garage door parts, trust me.

Comment

Working...
                              X