X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Freaking Insane

Originally posted by Brian Lohnes
    Originally posted by JasonQuartermile
    Mike Moran ran a 6.17 at 243 at 2700lb in his turbo car...I'd call that close!
    Nothing to take away from Jensen though, he's been around for a long time and has always had badass cars.
    Jason,

It's getting there but Andy still hasMike covered by a tenth and change at the 1/8 mile which makes even bigger numbers at the stripe. Mike's car being at legal Pro Mod weight probably has a lot to do with it because I suspect that Andy's car is a featherweight, which is totally in line with class rules so no problem there.
    Jason, I know that you're up on your stuff, but if we were talking 9.17 to 8.99 I'd say it was close, but two tenths at the bottom of the 6's is a pretty wide chasm to cross.

Tell Dave Kennedy that Lohnes says HI. I went to UMass with him and we had some good times with the Motorsports club. Back when Diesel Power first got rolling, I did a bunch of freelance work to help him out. Then he hired his ace staff and you guys have been rolling ever since.

Brian
    2380lbs is the weight listed on the website you linked... does the car weigh that much for the 3.87 passes?
    That is absolutely bad ass, even if the car only weighs 1900 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
      What about Buddy Ingersol's banned 274cid Turbo Buick V6 years ago? I'd hardly say this is the first turbo car to be seriously competative.
      Buddys was the first BAD ASS turbo car out there !
      only difference is that andys tiny 427 is running against 800 ci nitrous motors and they are not n/a.
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Not disputing this is an awesome car, just trying to remind somepeople that this is not the first turbo car to play with the big boys and win. Some could argue that "Ohio" George Montgomery with his turboed BOSS motors were the first to really be dominant as well. Its cool to see something like this come together.
        Central TEXAS Sleeper
        USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Comment

Freaking Insane

how's this for tire shake...i cannot take credit for pic though... 8)

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

"IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

Originally posted by CTX-SLPR
            Not disputing this is an awesome car, just trying to remind somepeople that this is not the first turbo car to play with the big boys and win. Some could argue that "Ohio" George Montgomery with his turboed BOSS motors were the first to really be dominant as well. Its cool to see something like this come together.
            CTX -- The Mallicoat brothers, Bud Faubel, and a couple other guys had even had Montgomery treed.

The Mallicoat Bros won B/GS with a draw through turbo setup at the 1963 Winternationals, beating everything in their path while running low 10's all day long with a small block chevy. Bud Faubel had a twin turbo setup on his "Hemi Honker" along the same era running match races and stuff.

No one said it's the first but it is the most competitve "modern" turbo car ever. Ingersoll's car was awesome and certainly paved the way for where we are today.

Brian
            That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

darn right...buddy ingersoll is THE man...drag race politics squished him..

"IGNORANCE SHOULD BE EFFIN PAINFUL"

522 cubes on One Gun,doin' it on W's at full weight baby!

Comment

[/quote]
                Bud Faubel had a twin turbo setup on his "Hemi Honker" along the same era running match races and stuff.

[/quote]

I knew of the Mallicoats(thanks to HOT ROD), but Bud Faubel had hairdryers(2, even) on that Hemi at one point?!

The thought of that big-ass car making such a futile attempt at hooking up on those period slicks(hell, was a miracle it even hooked N/A) makes my head just SPIN.

Now THAT woulda been something to see....

Comment

Hey Smoke...I bet you know the guy that wrote that Mallicoat Bros. piece.

Faubel's car was bizarro world for the time it ran. Twins on a Hemi in 1964/65 was freak show stuff. Supposedly they ran 30psi of boost through the thing. It would go 170mph in the quarter mile, smoking the rock hard tires the entire way. Even more impressive when some published reports from the time cite a race weight of 3800 lbs.

There aren't many photos of the car on the web and frankly it looks like a typical Super Stocker/Altered Wheelbase car of the day, the major exception of the deal was the big ass exhaust dumps right behind the front bumper!

I think the car has been restored but it not making any laps that I know of.

I'd buy a ticket to watch that thing too!

Brian
                  That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

Working...
                  X