Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about the Ford 2.3/2.5L OHC "Pinto" I4

Howdy,

I'm getting interested in maybe picking up a small 60's Ford product as a daily driver. Since I am looking for more of a commuter car rather than a performance cruiser I'm thinking that the 2.5L "Lima" engine would be a fun power plant for a 4dr or wagon Falcon/Comet and I'd be real tempted to turbo it later.

For some reason I keep thinking that the Ranger is probably the best platform to try to pirate a new EFI engine out of since its very common, I'm thinking slightly heavier, and I could pick up the engine for cheap. Would I be better with a 3.0L Vulcan V6 or an 3.8/4.2L splitport Essex??
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

Re: Talk to me about the Ford 2.3/2.5L OHC "Pinto" I4

Those all have their upsides / downsides. The 2.3/2.5L are very heavy for a 4-cyl. engine, all cast iron, but pretty tough little buggers. I know that I couldn't kill the 2.3 in my 79 Pinto, even with a nasty bottom-end knock. BTW, that 2.5L Ranger was only from 98-2000 I believe. The earlier ones had the twin plug version of the 2.3, and 01-up had a completely different DOHC 2.3L that is shared with Mazda. Lots of hot rod stuff for the Lima. I've seen at least one early Falcon on the Net with a T-Bird Turbo Coupe 2.3L drivetrain swapped in.

The 3.0L Vulcan is also heavy, all cast iron, not much power, and bulletproof. Not much aftermarket support for them, and, they are kind of ugly. Transmssion selection will be limited.

3.8 & 4.2L split-port had much better heads and gaskets than the earlier 3.8, but can still pop a head gasket. Some timing cover coolant leak issues with them too. SN95 Mustang guys are getting decent power numbers from the 3.8 version with Vortechs or turbos added. Same bellhousing pattern as SB Ford, decent aftermarket support.

cheers
    Ed N.
    Ed Nicholson - Caledon Ontario - a bit NW of Toronto
    07 Mustang GT with some stuff
    88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe 5-speed

Comment

Working...
    X