what did I buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what did I buy?

I bought this 1983 Camaro, $800, going to be a temporary daily driver while I put 5 speed into truck, It's amazingly rust free for a New England car and if you don't want an import, standard trans used cars seem kinda rare.
    The seller told me previous owner put a 1997 corvette engine in it, his wife told me it was an anniversary present to her 15 yrs ago. It didn't hit me til I was driving home that 15 yrs ago was 1993 so previous owner couldn't have had a 1997 motor. I'm going to need parts to get it running, can anyone help me with what this engine is?
    I can do more fotos if there a specific spot need to be seen.
    Thanks for any help Joe

Re: what did I buy?

That should tidy up nicely.
    I see the aircon has already been deleted.
    How´s the door rubber on it, especially the T Tops ?
    Something is wrong, the nose does´nt match the rear bumper, or is that the front spoiler is off the car ?

Comment

From the pics it looks like it has iron heads which rules out a corvette motor. It is probably a LB9 (305) or maybe a L98 (350)

Check out www.thirdgen.org for anything yaou ever wanted to know about these cars
      Hard Work Guarantees Nothing - Lack of it Does!

Drew Gerth - Newburgh, IN

Comment

Probably the L98 out of a Corvette.

Brian
        That which you manifest is before you.

Comment

she was prolly just off on the year maybe a 95 vette. that way it was still obd1

Comment

it's from 87-92, I think...has the centerbolt heads,and the old TPI setup.

look on the deck under the alternator for the engine code stamping (stamped on the block deck surface just in front of the head), that can be used to figure it out
            My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Centerbolt valve covers means 87-newer, mass flow sensor (MAF) means 89-older, so 87-89. 87-88 had a cold start injector-look for a 1/2" diameter tube next to the #3 intake runner-89's don't have it. Iron heads with centerbolt valve covers means it's from an F-body. 87-91 Corvettes all had aluminum heads with perimeter bolt valve covers. 305 and 350 looked the same and the FI stuff was all the same except for the memcal and the injectors. You'll need to find the block stamping, or block or head casting # to determine engine size.

More importantly-where's the burnout pics?

Comment

V8, 5 spd Camaro...800 bucks.....sweet!

Comment

thanks for all your help and comments, when I get it running I'll have to find a camera for burnout video.
                  The numbers behind alternator are v1027sdk, can't find what the numbers mean but sdk seems to be a 87 305 that orig had auto behind it. it has a problem of lack of fuel pressure, it has 3 psi and from what I understand it's supposed to have 30 psi. If it stops raining I'm going to try changing the fuel filter, if it not that I guess the fuel pump is next, fuel tank was changed to aftermarket for the injection with a moroso pump.
                  The T-tops do leak where the door window hits, the rest seems to be dry, it been raining 16 hrs now so I think that part ok.
                  It has a 5 speed not 4.

Comment

corvette had an external egr tube
                    the f body tpi had the egr on the intake manifold
                    I think the 83 camaro still had a st10 4 speed

Comment

nope 83 was the first year for the t5 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by 49F1
                        thanks for all your help and comments, when I get it running I'll have to find a camera for burnout video.
                        The numbers behind alternator are v1027sdk, can't find what the numbers mean but sdk seems to be a 87 305 that orig had auto behind it. it has a problem of lack of fuel pressure, it has 3 psi and from what I understand it's supposed to have 30 psi. If it stops raining I'm going to try changing the fuel filter, if it not that I guess the fuel pump is next, fuel tank was changed to aftermarket for the injection with a moroso pump.
                        The T-tops do leak where the door window hits, the rest seems to be dry, it been raining 16 hrs now so I think that part ok.
                        It has a 5 speed not 4.
                        Hey man...you live on Cape Cod right? I'm about 30 minutes up the road. You may wake up and be out to sea by the morning with all this rain!

Brian

Comment

Just check the casting on the side of the bellhousing ,it'll probably say 5.0 which of course would be a 305. Don't ask me about the L98 I have one in the gta but never looked at it.

Comment

I'm in western mass, near Northampton, but if it's possible Brian I would like the name or number of that nos place near you to see what they got for door parts for my old truck
                            thanks all, I'll see how much of the bell housing I can see tomorrow looking for a 5.0
                            Joe

Comment

I guarantee they have stuff on the shelf for you...the place is f'n awesome.

Then & Now Automotive
                              447 Washington St
                              Weymouth, MA. 02188
                              Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm EST at: 781-335-8860
                              Shipping Warehouse Antique Auto Parts Cellar
                              PO Box 3 (for mail)
                              6 Chauncy Street (for UPS/FedEx)
                              Monday to Friday, 10am to 7pm EST at: 781-335-1579
                              Anytime by Fax: 781-335-1925

Lisa Pawlik General Manager
                              Jack Lynch Parts Counter
                              Mike Casella Machine Shop Manager *** This is my pal Mike....the guy with the insane '60 Chevy
                              Tony Scapolletti Parts Counter
                              Tom Hannaford Early Parts Counter

e-mail [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X